Doctor Who: Utopia, Sound of Drums and Last of the Timelords

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Robovski
Captain

Re: Doctor Who: Utopia, Sound of Drums and Last of the Timelords

Post by Robovski »

I agree, 13's series has the ultimate crime of being boring.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, it was, ironically, a woman expressing this view. So it's not you.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:02 pm Ah, yes, because the show was running just fine until some dumb little woman came along and ruined all the boys' fun, huh?
As a woman who likes to changes things, myself, I object to that. I enjoyed the show how I enjoyed it, and it changed and I stopped enjoying it. I believe that is allowed.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

This attitude I've come across was also from another woman who unironically thinks Who must ALWAYS be male, never be female, has no problems with Dax, but hates that Who regenerated into a female even on an ideological level - not that the execution is bad, just the idea itself sucks to her. It smacks of misogyny and transphobia. That really seems contradictory.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

clearspira wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:46 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:02 pm Ah, yes, because the show was running just fine until some dumb little woman came along and ruined all the boys' fun, huh?
I don't know who that was aimed at but I assume me. There are NUMEROUS reasons why Trek, Wars and Who have turned to crap in the last few years beyond Micheal Spock, MaRey Sue and Dr X Chromosome; many of which I have catalogued in such detail on here that even I am bored of writing about them.

My problem with Thirteen beyond the politics as I have already said is the complete beigeness of her incarnation. There is NOTHING new about this series. It is the same show, only now with a woman. If you like watching the same show continuously then great, but fact is that this show has been going with the same formula since 2005 and it is boring. And yeah, I maintain that the fact that no one on here has been posting discussions about her episodes is great evidence that I am not alone.

But sure, the girls alone ruined my fun. If that makes you feel better then continue to think it whilst the show suffers some of the lowest ratings of New Who.
And finding the season boring is very valid criticism. Given the politics comments and the comments about the Master being a women, that seemed to be the biggest issue, which I think is dumb. The series is not doomed because they changed things up with a female Doctor.

I've watched... 7 episodes so far I think. Or 6, I forget. And the series so far is... fine. Nothing fantastic, though I think they were all decent to good except the spiders. But nothing really stands out, no. 13 is... also fine. Nice Doctor, I like that, but yeah a little bland and nothing really unique to her yet. Still like her more than the crank of early Capaldi though.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:20 am This attitude I've come across was also from another woman who unironically thinks Who must ALWAYS be male, never be female, has no problems with Dax, but hates that Who regenerated into a female even on an ideological level - not that the execution is bad, just the idea itself sucks to her. It smacks of misogyny and transphobia. That really seems contradictory.
I mean, it's what they're used to. I get being hesitant about it. I wouldn't say they're all misogynistic or anything. But I do think people should give it a chance. And not be all doom and gloom JUST because they changed things up in this way.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I can be Mr. Doom and Gloom in my own way, so... excuse me. Gotta go pick up the debris shards from my former glass house.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'll have to be honest, it's stuff like this that didn't make me want to pick up Doctor Who again. Is Jodie Whitaker's Doctor a really good Doctor, and brings the character back to sanity? I don't know, but I'm not sure I want to go through it to find out.

Why?

Because of Capaldi. The reason I gave up on Doctor Who? Capaldi's doctor being so sociopathic and apathetic about people dying. It took me out of giving a crap about him, as he didn't seem to care about who died. What with Killing the Moon advocating millions if not billions dying so a space chicken can live, Last Christmas having him abandon people once he gets bored of the dream lobsters, and only saving their lives because his life was on the line as well. His line about saying a few words about the top layer if they want to mourn their dead friend in "Into the Dalek". It seemed as if the Doctor just became this asshole who was bored, and would only do things if they interested him, not if it would save lives. Etc...

Then came his utter disregard for anyone serving to protect their country....

So I have no idea if the 13th Doctor is good or not, but in order to experience her, I'd have to experience the sociopath who doesn't give a shit about humans, and I'm not sure I want to subject myself to that again.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I'll be checking out the 13th Doctor for completion's sake. It can't be any worse than the First Doctor watching Roman Emperor Nero chasing Barbara down about to rape her and commenting happily on what a healthy libido said emperor has. YES THAT HAPPENED.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

FaxModem1 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:38 am I'll have to be honest, it's stuff like this that didn't make me want to pick up Doctor Who again. Is Jodie Whitaker's Doctor a really good Doctor, and brings the character back to sanity? I don't know, but I'm not sure I want to go through it to find out.

Why?

Because of Capaldi. The reason I gave up on Doctor Who? Capaldi's doctor being so sociopathic and apathetic about people dying. It took me out of giving a crap about him, as he didn't seem to care about who died. What with Killing the Moon advocating millions if not billions dying so a space chicken can live, Last Christmas having him abandon people once he gets bored of the dream lobsters, and only saving their lives because his life was on the line as well. His line about saying a few words about the top layer if they want to mourn their dead friend in "Into the Dalek". It seemed as if the Doctor just became this asshole who was bored, and would only do things if they interested him, not if it would save lives. Etc...

Then came his utter disregard for anyone serving to protect their country....

So I have no idea if the 13th Doctor is good or not, but in order to experience her, I'd have to experience the sociopath who doesn't give a shit about humans, and I'm not sure I want to subject myself to that again.
He was better by season 10. He cared a lot more. And 13 is basically the opposite. She cares very much. She's probably the nicest Doctor there's been (might have gone a tad too far with it in places, but that's happened before). Not saying you'd like season 10 or 11 but in this regard at least, they're a lot better than 8 and 9.