ENT - Stigma

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: ENT - Stigma

Post by Deledrius »

Beastro wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:05 pm Makes me think a bit of their relationship should be explored in depth more that would highlight the trouble in their relationship. One thing that comes to mind is that the Romulans could've originally been the "moderates" of the Vulcans (rather than the unrepentant radial reactionaries they're portrayed as) surrounded by the rest of their wild and crazy race which forced them into xenophobia, close-knit interdependence and insular pride for being the only normal ones in their race. They later left Vulcan as Surak and others found a way to get the rest of their race "on the wagon", but the fundamental animosity between them is now that the Vulcans look on them as alcoholics refusing treatment while the Romulans look on them as crazy drunks trying to punish them for the Vulcans own excesses.

The more I think about that the more I like it. Part of the appeal of the Klingons (and later the Ferengi and to a lesser extent beyond Garek and Dukat, the Cardassians) as an antagonist race is that they have sympathetic elements to them, something which the Romulans rarely were given.
All of which, especially that last bit, is why I'm still bitter about Nemesis being a bait-and-switch Romulan film.

ST:Picard had better be the answer for this, or so help me...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Odds are very good it won't live up to expectations, so prepare for the worst. Not bashing modern Trek so much as modern entertainment. It's just not up to snuff like it was in the 1990s, or even parts of the 2000s.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:50 am Odds are very good it won't live up to expectations, so prepare for the worst. Not bashing modern Trek so much as modern entertainment. It's just not up to snuff like it was in the 1990s, or even parts of the 2000s.
Oh, Yeah Voyager and Enerprise are high marks...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Wasn't even discussing Voyager and Enterprise.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords