5ive Days to Midnight

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: 5ive Days to Midnight

Post by Deledrius »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 am
aceina wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:56 am im not a fan of the end of part 3 with that woman dieing

as it means 1 of 2 things

either

1. fate cant be changed and the entire story is pointless

2. only our protagonist gets to change his fate

i hate both of those as him saving her was legit the only good scene IMO

hell you could build a series out of that some one gets stuff from the future and tries to change peoples fates
I agree, I feel the same way. It's a lousy death for a character that seems to have been a nice person, and feels like it's only happened for the purpose of escalating the threat and undermining the main character's source of hope from this part. Your two options spell out the problem well.
Ouch, so in the end, this poor woman died for no reason.

The big pile-up at the end was the only good part of this miniseries. It felt like fate was going to be so tangled there was no way they could have possibly foreseen any of it... and then none of it mattered. If they could change things, why did so much turn out so closely? If fate was trying to correct but they managed to avoid it, what was the crucial choice?

So many missing payoffs in this story.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:19 pm
Nobody700 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:56 pm It’s explained the daughter did so... FROM THE FUTURE! Why future her didn’t do anything more to explain it though... who knows?
I call Voodoo Shark on this one. How in this contemporary world did this perfectly ordinary woman get hold of a time machine?

But yeah, if it was her, why didn't she give him any more detail? its not as if she was concerned about damaging history given how she was damaging history by sending the case back to begin with.
She's shown to be clever and it comes from quite a way in the future (e.g. the age of the paper), so I assumed that the time machine is supposed to be a future invention.

The lack of explanation, that's something that bugs me in a lot of fiction. There's a cryptic message of some sort that the characters need to puzzle out - but a lot of the time there's no obvious reason for the message to be cryptic.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:36 pm The lack of explanation, that's something that bugs me in a lot of fiction. There's a cryptic message of some sort that the characters need to puzzle out - but a lot of the time there's no obvious reason for the message to be cryptic.
Some writers don't understand that the McGuffin's details can't be something that the plot hinges on to be coherent and make sense. That's no longer a McGuffin if it's central to the story's internal logic.
Revolverman
Redshirt

Post by Revolverman »

Nobody700 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:56 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:32 pm I must say I found this all very hard to follow.
How did the case get sent back in time? Is it in itself the time machine? Then where did it come from? If so, what was it used for originally? Think about it, no one is going to build a time travelling case to save this rather unimportant random guy. This case must have been used for something else and then stolen.

If the case isn't the time machine, then where is the time machine? Is it magic, is it technology, how did anyone get hold of it? What happened to the time machine after? No one is just going to send one case back and then that's it. Is it still potentially out there somewhere?

If this was explained I apologise, I must have missed it, but the whole thing is just so silly.
It’s explained the daughter did so... FROM THE FUTURE! Why future her didn’t do anything more to explain it though... who knows?
So, she didn't get over her father's death for, like 60 years? (if I recall thats how old the files were) I mean, that doesn't seem healthy.

Also, why doesn't she save the MOM? If you can do all this, I'm sure you can find a way to prevent a death in childbirth.

Also, I don't think I've seen such stunt location casting as this thing. It was stupidly obvious that it was filmed in Vancouver. Its hard to miss all those Canadian regional airlines in the Airport there. At least it was set in the same general area though, and not pretending it was New York or something.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Revolverman wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:32 pm I must say I found this all very hard to follow.
How did the case get sent back in time? Is it in itself the time machine? Then where did it come from? If so, what was it used for originally? Think about it, no one is going to build a time travelling case to save this rather unimportant random guy. This case must have been used for something else and then stolen.

If the case isn't the time machine, then where is the time machine? Is it magic, is it technology, how did anyone get hold of it? What happened to the time machine after? No one is just going to send one case back and then that's it. Is it still potentially out there somewhere?

If this was explained I apologise, I must have missed it, but the whole thing is just so silly.
It’s explained the daughter did so... FROM THE FUTURE! Why future her didn’t do anything more to explain it though... who knows?
So, she didn't get over her father's death for, like 60 years? (if I recall thats how old the files were) I mean, that doesn't seem healthy.

Also, why doesn't she save the MOM? If you can do all this, I'm sure you can find a way to prevent a death in childbirth.

Also, I don't think I've seen such stunt location casting as this thing. It was stupidly obvious that it was filmed in Vancouver. Its hard to miss all those Canadian regional airlines in the Airport there. At least it was set in the same general area though, and not pretending it was New York or something.
I can defend that actually.

1. She never knew her mom, so she has no emotional connection to her like her dad.

2. Trying to fix child birth death is a LOT harder then ‘stop dad from getting shot by a mobster in a strip joint.’ There’s a lot of factors and even if she sent it to her dad or mom, I doubt either of them would believe it. Lot more ways to convince someone they’ll be shot over dying while giving birth.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 pm
Revolverman wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 am

I can defend that actually.

1. She never knew her mom, so she has no emotional connection to her like her dad.

2. Trying to fix child birth death is a LOT harder then ‘stop dad from getting shot by a mobster in a strip joint.’ There’s a lot of factors and even if she sent it to her dad or mom, I doubt either of them would believe it. Lot more ways to convince someone they’ll be shot over dying while giving birth.
Her mum's death certificate, a sad photo of her daughter standing by her grave and a $5000 with a note telling her to find the best hospital in America would go a long way towards both convincing her and saving her life. Better yet, the daughter comes from an era radically more advanced than our own right? then how about including some better painkillers or antibiotics or a treatment plan in that case? There must be loads of things she can realistically do to at least increase her mum's chances. This woman is connected or smart enough to get hold of a time machine after all, so pretty much anything else should be secondary concerns to her at this point.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

The only satisfying explanation I can come up with is that this series of events needs to happen so the crazy student is persuaded that time travel is in fact possible and not dangerous to the point where it would destroy the universe.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
bobbrom
Redshirt

Post by bobbrom »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:52 am
bobbrom wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:56 pmSo where you've created all the matter of a universe minus the ball to keep a law of thermodynamics that says that matter can't be created out of nothing.
These laws only apply to our particular bubble of space-time. Outside of this pocket, those laws have no meaning. What happens outside is completely beyond our capacity of understanding and probably will be forever and this "outside" (for lack of a better word) already spontaneously spawned one entire universe. It's completely possible and likely and practically certain that it can do so again. It probably has already done so, but we'll never know.
But if that's the case why not spawn just a new ping pong ball?

If your explanation requires you to say that the laws of physics don't matter then you can really just use anything to resolve the paradox.