DIS - Point of Light

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: DIS - Point of Light

Post by Deledrius »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:55 pm
LordUltimus wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:09 am What about Stamets?
A character so generic that even Chakotay, Harry Kim, and Mayweather are screaming at him to get a personality.
He has a personality! He's the angry, arrogant scientist who hates opera! ;)
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:59 pm
A character so generic that even Chakotay, Harry Kim, and Mayweather are screaming at him to get a personality.
In theory, at least. In practice... Eh, I keep forgetting he is on the show. You'd think that if he was all that, that he'd at least stick in the memory. Especially given the general level of interest the other characters can generate.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:39 am I've never met anyone who thought the lens flares were a good idea.
The only thing I've ever liked about the lens flares is that I found it amusing that, if you acquire the Kelvin Timeline Constitution ship in STO, and visit its bridge, the bridge includes the lens flares everywhere. Beyond that, they're at best neutral, and at worst an unwelcome distraction on screen.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I think Stamets has adequate character.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:51 am
Deledrius wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:59 pm
In theory, at least. In practice... Eh, I keep forgetting he is on the show. You'd think that if he was all that, that he'd at least stick in the memory. Especially given the general level of interest the other characters can generate.
For me, I think the actor has done a good job at adding some depth in his performance for a character which, as written, is almost entirely a plot device. In fact it was the only redeemable part of "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Man", IMO.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, tbf... I've loved things that were distractions before. Take Han shooting first. Or Luke's scream as he fell down the shaft. They are a distraction given how the original was, I can't deny that. And I'm the most pro-Special Edition guy there is. I can't deny I prefer every special effect that was touched up in 1997. Because Alderaan's original explosion looked cheesy, and the battle over the Death Star fake as hell. So I prefer more realistic space combat and effects. But I can admit that was a distraction, and I think it adds kitsch charm. Perhaps some feel that way to the lens flare. It is just that. A distraction that has kitsch charm to some.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Chaltab wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:10 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:19 pm No offense to the actor, but the character is awful. And the whole concept behind his species, even with the Short Trek retcon, is Brannon Braga levels of understanding evolution. A race so chronically terrified of everything, and which evolved from livestock at that, would either have had a species wide coronary long before it achieved sapience, or would have lost that fear boner trait on its way.
Yeah, and the whole 'fear boner' trait was revealed to be a nascent trait that the Kelpiens grow out of and become their world's apex predator? Like did you miss the whole thing where the Great Balance is a lie foisted upon them by a physically weaker but technologically more advanced species? They're more akin to what humans did to wolves to make them into dogs than anything else.

..also with all due respect to him (which is very little), nobody had a poorer understanding of evolution of evolution than Brannon Braga! Nobody in Discovery has attributed a divine plan to evolution so far, at least, or had a creature evolve into a salamander.
No, they just think that all life in the universe is dependent on Magic Mushrooms.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BunBun299 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:56 am No, they just think that all life in the universe is dependent on Magic Mushrooms.
This show asserts that they're a force which binds everything in the universe in the cycle of life and death.

:facepalm:
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Isn't the mycelial plane based on the Caretaker's race? So blame Voyager for the bad math. It sadly seems consistent to Trek lore on that basis.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 am
BunBun299 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:56 am No, they just think that all life in the universe is dependent on Magic Mushrooms.
This show asserts that they're a force which binds everything in the universe in the cycle of life and death.

:facepalm:
They added a bunch of stuff about the Magic Mushrooms to STO over the past couple months. Playing through that mission in the the Mushroom dimension, I finally understood what they really are. They're the Force in Star Trek. The Force, with an even stupider explanation than Midichlorians.

On the topic of the actual episode, I roll my eyes at the "explanation" for the KINOs being bald last season. The real Klingons have never shaved their heads like that. Not in the Enterprise era, not in TOS era, and not in TNG era. The closest thing to it would be the shorter hair styles in the TOS era while they were still afflicted by the Augmentation virus. And that is what Klingons if this era should look like. Hence why I call these poop monsters KINOs.

Though I will admit that they look marginally better with hair. But this sloppy retcon is too little, too late.