MST3K The Show - Seasons 1-10

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Ghilz
Officer

Re: MST3K The Show - Season 8

Post by Ghilz »

Honestly this season and the next one are some of my favorites. Space Mutiny, like Chuck says, is a delight in how awful it is. I've watched it both with and without MST3k, and it's a delight to riff with friends.

Next season gives us Pumaman, which is honestly in my top 3 best episodes of the entire show.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

The witch on the house with legs - is that supposed to be Baba Yaga?
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

i do wish i could watch all the story bits from mst3k back to back
i like a bad movie but i don't have tons of time normally
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yep! Good old russo-finish coproductions! :)

Chalk me in as well with the "I liked the storylines" group. I have to say that the Observers are one of the best concepts I've ever seen in comedy scifi, such a beautiful deconstruction of the Sufficiently Advanced Aliens (TM) that turned up in one out of every three Trek episodes. The longer narratives generally let them really sink their teeth into some scifi concepts that were fun to parody, like the body snatchers stuff or wormholes with altered reality.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
sandangel
Redshirt

Post by sandangel »

I'm pretty sure Space Mutiny was my first MST3K episode, and it is gloriously awful. My favorite nickname was BLAST HARDCHEESE!
Arson55
Redshirt

Post by Arson55 »

Space Mutiny is among my favorites, if not my favorite. All of the names for Reb Brown's character, the jokes about the carts they ride around in ("Come on! You can walk on your hands and catch them!"), and so many of the other jokes are great.

Also, yes, the storylines were fun. Plus, I was a fan of the Pearl/Brain Guy/Bobo dynamic. This certainly is my favorite era of the show.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Space Mutiny is a classic. The moment that defines my sense of "bad movies" is when Reb Brown faces off with the villain in a game of chicken in the golf-cart, screams...then stops screaming so he can calmly exit his moving golf cart.

Honestly, I think Season 8 gave them tons of good fodder for riffing, especially toward the end of the season. There's the dubbed Japanese films Prince of Space and Invasion of the Neptune Men which include the ever-present Japanese children who have level 5 Security Clearance. They're constantly wandering into the military control center and the top-secret laboratory facility. Plus there's the brilliant moment of Krankor talking to his captives from across a big room and they're constantly saying, "What?" You don't even need riffs for that to be hilarious.

Overdrawn At The Memory Bank is another great one because it feels like there's an interesting story, but the movie fails to provide the relevant information to explain what's happening and why it matters. It's also weird because you have Raul Julia playing a protagonist with zero personality and acting like he's half-asleep, but he clearly was having an amazing time hamming it up with his other character doing the Humphrey Bogart impression.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

I really enjoyed Time Chasers. It was low budget, and you can tell they were trying, but couldn't afford to do all that they wanted to do. She-Creature however, is the funniest episode of the season, I think, it has the best riffs.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

It is pretty impressive when you manage to pack a sea monster transformation, hypnotist, and reincarnation into one short film.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

I have never seen any MST3K except for the movie, so I have trouble contextualizing any of these reviews. I have seen Overdrawn at the Memory Bank a few times just as a movie. Compared to an actual theatrical release its obviously pretty bad, in terms of TV movies I would have said it was about average or only slightly sub par. I still have a soft spot for it for some reason. I think I saw it once as a young kid when I could not really follow it and then when I saw it again later I got more of what was going on. It is has some very cyberpunk plot points (people directly interfacing their brains with computers, evil mega corporations and so on) for something based on a 1976 short story (according to Wikipedia), although obviously not the aesthetic or feel.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill