TNG - Devil's Due

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: TNG - Devil's Due

Post by clearspira »

Nobody700 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:34 pm Personally I never got the whole rejection of technology. You'd think a culture that sold it's planet to the devil would be the first to invent Warp to get the hell out. I know what the episode said but come on, you'd think at least a few of them would beg Starfleet to be left out in the days leading up to it. I know they also sold their souls but like, they can still try to run.
Think about it: we only see thirty people and about three rooms of this planet max. We don't see the pastors lecturing everyone to repent their sins to Ardra or see any heresy punishments or anything. You may be thinking ''that's stupid, why would there be?'' Because despite being 1000 years old, this is a story that can still bring absolute chaos to this planet. Riots, disorder, people running for their lives. This is more than just some old fable that only a few crackpots believe. Clearly this must be something that is drilled into the majority of people on a regular basis.

Or to put it another way, this is the equivalent of the real world Bible actually having in black and white upon its pages ''the end will come on April 4th, 2020.'' That would bring fire to even the modern world because that is how indoctrinated in this crap people are.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:06 pm Then again this is the guy, who think that Children wouldn't work themselves to the bone in an Amish community.
There's a balance IMO. I find the degree of technological integration into basic aspects of life frankly absurd, and personally I find a lot of subtle satisfaction in just doing ordinary tasks ordinarily. Keep the technology to do the really interesting new stuff, like exploring strange new worlds, and remove enough of the stuff that ground us down to an early grave, and sod the rest of it. Which the planet in question looks like it might've done.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:48 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:06 pm Then again this is the guy, who think that Children wouldn't work themselves to the bone in an Amish community.
There's a balance IMO. I find the degree of technological integration into basic aspects of life frankly absurd, and personally I find a lot of subtle satisfaction in just doing ordinary tasks ordinarily. Keep the technology to do the really interesting new stuff, like exploring strange new worlds, and remove enough of the stuff that ground us down to an early grave, and sod the rest of it. Which the planet in question looks like it might've done.
Like France. I'm not making any lazy jokes here. The French lifestyle really prioritises the "peasant" lifestyle. Long lunches, relaxed pace of life, and really puts a lot into keeping its farming sector able to work on the smallholdings level. The French peasant farmer identity is really important, socially, there. Even people who work in the cities and the tech industry in France really kinda idolise it, and, even if they'd never-ever want to be on a farm themselves, feel it is important that people should be able to live it and that it must never be allowed to slip away. And, like I said no lazy jokes, Frances is a major power in the world. It has an important tech industry, medical research and science sector, and is probably second only to Germany as an industrial centre in Europe, but to most French people it is first and foremost a peasant farmer nation. That doesn't invalidate all the rest, but it is the part of their identity that shapes the French national identity the most.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Huh, that may help explain Picard going native so hard with Ba'ku in Insurrection.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:03 pm
Nobody700 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:34 pm Personally I never got the whole rejection of technology. You'd think a culture that sold it's planet to the devil would be the first to invent Warp to get the hell out. I know what the episode said but come on, you'd think at least a few of them would beg Starfleet to be left out in the days leading up to it. I know they also sold their souls but like, they can still try to run.
Think about it: we only see thirty people and about three rooms of this planet max. We don't see the pastors lecturing everyone to repent their sins to Ardra or see any heresy punishments or anything. You may be thinking ''that's stupid, why would there be?'' Because despite being 1000 years old, this is a story that can still bring absolute chaos to this planet. Riots, disorder, people running for their lives. This is more than just some old fable that only a few crackpots believe. Clearly this must be something that is drilled into the majority of people on a regular basis.

Or to put it another way, this is the equivalent of the real world Bible actually having in black and white upon its pages ''the end will come on April 4th, 2020.'' That would bring fire to even the modern world because that is how indoctrinated in this crap people are.
This isn't me questioning why they believe it, i'm questioning why they sold the planet and than act like they're all doomed when the deal is about the planet and everything on it and around it. So... why not leave? Maybe it would have failed cause of a loophole, but it would have been something! I think the real world reason this culture has no tech (beyond to jerk off the godawful Ba'Ku even before they were created) is to explain why not even ONE guy tries to leave. This isn't the real world where we would be fucked, this is a universe where Warp exists. Now if this was a normal pre warp world I would get it... BUT THEY KNOW THE FEDERATION EXISTS! It seems like they all fear her so much and know they are beyond doomed and ready to die... but fear renting out more.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fianna wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:00 am Huh, that may help explain Picard going native so hard with Ba'ku in Insurrection.
Insurrection was a whole pile of crap set up as a strawman by the technologically obsessed. Well it certainly looks like that anyway.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Nobody700 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:15 am
This isn't me questioning why they believe it, i'm questioning why they sold the planet and than act like they're all doomed when the deal is about the planet and everything on it and around it. So... why not leave? Maybe it would have failed cause of a loophole, but it would have been something! I think the real world reason this culture has no tech (beyond to jerk off the godawful Ba'Ku even before they were created) is to explain why not even ONE guy tries to leave. This isn't the real world where we would be fucked, this is a universe where Warp exists. Now if this was a normal pre warp world I would get it... BUT THEY KNOW THE FEDERATION EXISTS! It seems like they all fear her so much and know they are beyond doomed and ready to die... but fear renting out more.
Could be a small doomsday cult on the one hand and a much larger bunch of people who never believed it anyway on the other.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:56 am
Fianna wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:00 am Huh, that may help explain Picard going native so hard with Ba'ku in Insurrection.
Insurrection was a whole pile of crap set up as a strawman by the technologically obsessed. Well it certainly looks like that anyway.
Nobody is disagreeing with you. It did document a social movement of the time when it was made, but it also badly executed the whole idea too.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

I think the music is what gives this a dated feel. It almost sounds like TOS music.
TheSilence
Redshirt

Post by TheSilence »

Not sure if this was discussed because i'm not about to read all the pages of replies. But Data at the end rules that the contract is nullified. Since the woman pretending to be Ardra was not the one capable of enforcing the contract, how could Data rule that it was nullified. Was there a time limit on when she could return to claim her ownership?