Dragon Age: Inquisition

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Post by Riedquat »

Why the rush to get through them rather that let them advance at the pace of the story and your gameplay?
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Because it artificially increases the amount of time I have to spend on the game to "complete" it. If I were able to say, have Inquisition agents do more than three at once I might be fine with it, but when you can only do three at one time and there are dozens of the damn things and they all tend to be averaging at more than an hour to complete, it comes off as a lot busywork rather than an organic part of the story you're playing.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The one that really stands out in my memory is where you still have to wait for Cullen to come available again if you assign him to solve it, even though his suggestion is "this is stupid let's just drop it".
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Beelzquill wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:45 pm Because it artificially increases the amount of time I have to spend on the game to "complete" it. If I were able to say, have Inquisition agents do more than three at once I might be fine with it, but when you can only do three at one time and there are dozens of the damn things and they all tend to be averaging at more than an hour to complete, it comes off as a lot busywork rather than an organic part of the story you're playing.
It didn't increase the amount of time I spent playing it. Set some short ones off at the start of a session and some long ones at the end and they all progressed at the pace of the rest of the game - they very much felt like an organic part of the game, managing the rest of the Inquistion at the same time as I was doing stuff personally.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

EA can go fuck itself.
I have commited to not buying any game that requires me to use Origin.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I love that Chuck is getting to DA:I's biggest problem: That the vast majority of the cool stuff in the game is assigned to your minions, while you run around a giant boring open world picking up shards and plants.

This should have been a Mass Effect 2-style mission-based game, and instead it has these horribly slow-loading giant maps and is slow and miserable to play. I straight up DNFed it, THREE times, because I just could not keep going. The only parts that were actually FUN were the party and the deep roads DLC. Because those were actual game levels.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:12 pm I love that Chuck is getting to DA:I's biggest problem: That the vast majority of the cool stuff in the game is assigned to your minions, while you run around a giant boring open world picking up shards and plants.

This should have been a Mass Effect 2-style mission-based game, and instead it has these horribly slow-loading giant maps and is slow and miserable to play. I straight up DNFed it, THREE times, because I just could not keep going. The only parts that were actually FUN were the party and the deep roads DLC. Because those were actual game levels.
I hope that Chuck gets to the actual combat. To me, the combat felt...bad. Really, really bad.

DA:I is a RPG, that's trying to be an action game/"cinematic" game...and therefore does a bad job of communicating the RPG aspects. I played as a Human Mage Male Inquisitor, and the spells felt wrong. While there were the obvious staples of fantasy magic, there were a lot of spells that don't really fit, until you get to the specializations, like the short-range teleport.

As you can see, I had a hard time figuring out the method to the madness of the abilities. I didn't feel like I was in control of the character, so much as mashing buttons until the opponent's HP was sufficiently depleted. In a game that has the tactical and strategic overtones that DA:I has, that's doubly unsettling. There's a big difference between Final Fantasy XV, which really comes off like a movie in video game form about a bunch of dudes on a roadtrip of broness...and this, which is a game about a massive effort to restore order to a world teetering on the edge of war and annhilation.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:12 pm I love that Chuck is getting to DA:I's biggest problem: That the vast majority of the cool stuff in the game is assigned to your minions, while you run around a giant boring open world picking up shards and plants.
The open world areas weren't handled well. There never felt much to really explore in them despite their size - it was mostly a case of seen one bit, seen it all, and the navigation was horrible - there's worse yet to come than the Hinterlands navigation-wise. And IIRC none of them contained anything main quest related, so they really were the Lands of the Sidequest.

Mass Effect: Andromeda had a similar problem, but at least there was main quest stuff in that game's.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

I feel like DAI was made for consoles. The first time I played this, it was on my brother's PS4 and the combat and gameplay felt fine for me. When I finally got it on PC, the controls felt so wrong and tedious, only 8 powerslots? I have to keep holding down the mouse button to keep attacking, seriously? Then I switched over to a pc controller and the game ran relatively smoothly again.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Inquisition was absolutely made for consoles. The controls were fine with a controller... but were apparently completely godawful on keyboard and mouse.

Kind of the opposite of how the first DA game was.

I overall enjoyed the game but you're just screwed if you were any sort of completionist. Collecting all the shards and plants and stuff is a huge pain.

It's actually much better the second time where the game remembers all the blueprints you found so you can go endgame armor immediately, and you can skip everything you don't want to do. It's a pretty solid 40 hour game. It's a mess of a 100 hour one.

And yes, its very clear they put all the dev time into the hinterlands and the second area... and ten the other 8 maps were kind of crammed in there. They made the maps but didn't have time to populate them with anything to do.