VOY: Lineage

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Frustration
Captain

Re: VOY: Lineage

Post by Frustration »

clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:06 pm Here's the difference between the Doctor and Picard: Picard needed a whole episode to get over his mind rape whereby he ended up crying in the mud lamenting how he was struggling with every fibre of his being to resist but couldn't. And even many years later he is still deeply haunted by these events to the point that he has his own Moby Dick B-plot over it.

The Doctor forgot about it immediately. This is why the Doctor is an appliance and Picard is a living, breathing man.
That's not a difference between the characters' essential natures, but a difference in the quality of the people who wrote them.

There are reasons why I generally hold Voyager in contempt. In fairness, the few times the writing teams managed a profound episode, they were punished by the fans - the best episodes are rated very poorly.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

TGLS wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:33 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:06 pm The Doctor forgot about it immediately. This is why the Doctor is an appliance and Picard is a living, breathing man.
I dunno. The show already took the zero-continuity approach for a long time. Practically everything gets forgotten immediately.
That just give me the ide that at the end of each episode Janeway hot everyone in the head with a coconut so they forget and somehow keep hitting herself with one. That my headcanon now.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The doctor wouldn't be treated legally like a human for whatever B'Lana did to him. Sentient robots aren't really comparable to smart animals, they're more comparable to smart vegetation. Their simulated nerve impressions are essentially innate, and damage done to them that we recognize as brutal upon ourselves takes more the form of exfoliation, given that they can be literally refined of any damage. The problematic aspects of human suffering aren't weighed evenly between specimens.
..What mirror universe? ;/
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:35 am
FaxModem1 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:13 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:19 am
Ranchoth wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:05 am
FaxModem1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:45 am No permanent damage was done to the child or the Doctor, so it was allowed to be off her record. And I can understand why no one wanted to really press the issue.[...]No one outside the ship was affected at all, and no one inside the ship was really affected by it. You could chalk it up to a domestic dispute if you wanted to.
Kind of a late reply, but, ah...I'm really not sure this is the kind of legal precedent you'd want to establish.

Especially worse with the level of "permanent damage" that could be technically averted with 24th century medical technology. "Sure, Ensign Wildman was brutally assaulted in every way by her boyfriend, but...the Doctor just healed all the damage, and she doesn't actually remember most of the incident, anyway, so why make a deal out of it? You'd be damaging a promising young lieutenant's career—and we have the local image of Starfleet to uphold. No one really has to know..."
I agree. This is basically assaulting an officer. Doesn't matter if no damage was done.

Now even in today's military some things are brushed under the rug but for the most part you don't do certain things like what she did.

Voyager should have been more progressive in that respect. The Doctor became a sentient person. Any alteration without his approval should have dire consequences.
Authority figures, such as courts and COs, prefer that they aren't dragged into private affairs. If it can be resolved outside of a court room or the brig, all the better. The Doctor and B'elanna made up and if nothing else, their friendship became stronger as he became her first child's godfather.

We have past precedent of stuff like this. Neelix and Tom Paris were physically fighting in the Mess Hall once, actually coming to blows, and Janeway told them to solve it. This is a similar scenario, two crew members have beef with each other, and eventually come to terms.
I was in the military. Personal affairs only count when we are talking about things that can be handled at the lowest rank possible before it rolls uphill.

For example, roommate hasn't paid his half of the rent or bills for six months and used his money on alcohol. The higher ups don't need to be involved. Both enlisted go see their Chiefs and get it resolved.

For example, a enlisted person set the smoking gazebo on fire due to some drunk shenanigans. Enlisted man goes to Master Chief to find out if it was an accident or not.

For example, drunk wife of enlisted is found passed out on the base housing lawn butt naked. She has drugs in her system and the enlisted man now has to do a drug test.

Or the other countless examples I can think of.

What was done to the Doctor was much more than a personal issue between two people. The Doctor practically got Star Treked into being brainwashed into doing something he normally wouldn't.
So was I. And if Janeway can overlook two of her crew nearly killing each other in n the mess Hall, lobotomizing each other while captured, sexually harassing others while under the influence, etc, she can overlook a disagreement that all parties made up for and fixed the damage.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

FaxModem1 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:10 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:35 am
FaxModem1 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:13 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:19 am
Ranchoth wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:05 am
FaxModem1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:45 am No permanent damage was done to the child or the Doctor, so it was allowed to be off her record. And I can understand why no one wanted to really press the issue.[...]No one outside the ship was affected at all, and no one inside the ship was really affected by it. You could chalk it up to a domestic dispute if you wanted to.
Kind of a late reply, but, ah...I'm really not sure this is the kind of legal precedent you'd want to establish.

Especially worse with the level of "permanent damage" that could be technically averted with 24th century medical technology. "Sure, Ensign Wildman was brutally assaulted in every way by her boyfriend, but...the Doctor just healed all the damage, and she doesn't actually remember most of the incident, anyway, so why make a deal out of it? You'd be damaging a promising young lieutenant's career—and we have the local image of Starfleet to uphold. No one really has to know..."
I agree. This is basically assaulting an officer. Doesn't matter if no damage was done.

Now even in today's military some things are brushed under the rug but for the most part you don't do certain things like what she did.

Voyager should have been more progressive in that respect. The Doctor became a sentient person. Any alteration without his approval should have dire consequences.
Authority figures, such as courts and COs, prefer that they aren't dragged into private affairs. If it can be resolved outside of a court room or the brig, all the better. The Doctor and B'elanna made up and if nothing else, their friendship became stronger as he became her first child's godfather.

We have past precedent of stuff like this. Neelix and Tom Paris were physically fighting in the Mess Hall once, actually coming to blows, and Janeway told them to solve it. This is a similar scenario, two crew members have beef with each other, and eventually come to terms.
I was in the military. Personal affairs only count when we are talking about things that can be handled at the lowest rank possible before it rolls uphill.

For example, roommate hasn't paid his half of the rent or bills for six months and used his money on alcohol. The higher ups don't need to be involved. Both enlisted go see their Chiefs and get it resolved.

For example, a enlisted person set the smoking gazebo on fire due to some drunk shenanigans. Enlisted man goes to Master Chief to find out if it was an accident or not.

For example, drunk wife of enlisted is found passed out on the base housing lawn butt naked. She has drugs in her system and the enlisted man now has to do a drug test.

Or the other countless examples I can think of.

What was done to the Doctor was much more than a personal issue between two people. The Doctor practically got Star Treked into being brainwashed into doing something he normally wouldn't.
So was I. And if Janeway can overlook two of her crew nearly killing each other in n the mess Hall, lobotomizing each other while captured, sexually harassing others while under the influence, etc, she can overlook a disagreement that all parties made up for and fixed the damage.
Rule of thumb. Previous episodes don't matter and don't count. That is the Voyager way.
I got nothing to say here.