Enterprise: Space Nazi Two-parter

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Dînadan
Officer

Re: Enterprise: Space Nazi Two-parter

Post by Dînadan »

GandALF wrote:
J!! wrote:Hold on there, I think most of us can agree that there is a significant difference between preventing the birth of a hypothetical person, and ending the life of an actual person.

If you went to buy some milk, but someone had just bought the last carton in the store, you wouldn't accuse that guy of 'stealing your milk'.
Whether or not a fetus counts as a living a person is the core of the entire abortion debate, and this is not the right forum for that.
Agreed. I've created a thread in the 'News' section for people who wish to discuss this topic so this thread (and other threads in the event it gets brought up in them) don't get derailed by it. Hopefully everyone can have a polite reasonable debate there (although I'd understand if the Mods think it'd be safer to lock it and bar such a hit button topic).
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

that's really not what i was talking about at all. i was saying that 'preventing from ever living' is not the same thing as 'killing' as a general statement, not in relation to what does or does not count as a 'living person'. i was referring to nothing other than the post directly above mine, i really wasn't thinking about the context in which said statement was made.

honestly, i think i skimmed past part of the thread & didn't realize we were getting close to the abortion topic. i was thinking more in terms of sterilization, or otherwise restricting people's reproductive choices iprior to pregnancy.

so let me rephrase that:

regardless of whether a fetus counts as a living human, preventing someone from being conceived is not the same as killing someone.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

I have edited the title of this thread. Google sent me a warning over it, cryptically saying that one of the pages in here violates their "misleading webpages" rules, with no explanation. My only conclusion (apart from something being broken) is that the title "stormfront" would mislead people into thinking we were providing information about hurricanes rather than discussing the time traveling space Nazis of the episode of Enterprise with that title. Hopefully this makes them happy, because I've no idea what they want from me.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Alternatively, people might mistake it as a reference to the (now thankfully defunct, I believe) white supremacist site Stormfront, or to the first Dresden Files novel, titled Storm Front. But I'm probably overthinking a technical error. ;)
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Alternatively, people might mistake it as a reference to the (now thankfully defunct, I believe) white supremacist site Stormfront, or to the first Dresden Files novel, titled Storm Front. But I'm probably overthinking a technical error. ;)
Ah, that's likely it.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Unfortunately, since the space Nazis have time travel, they can still access the site by just going back to before it was shut down.
Wild_Kraken
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Wild_Kraken »

To be on the safe side, I've changed all the thread titles in the replies. Hopefully this gets Google of our back.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

I think it's a bit misleading to call them space or even time NAZIs. All they did was wear the uniform of the Germans to blend in but they are in no way subscribing to their ideals and just using them for their own goals.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

My favorite part of this episode is remembering that on the Earth of this time, Kirk just let Edith Keeler die so that America's entry into the war wouldn't be delayed.
For a given value of "favorite."
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Oh my god, that's why no one remembers Archer! Kirk just erased him from existence.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu