Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Yukaphile »

How utterly heartfelt. :roll:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

I could be wrong but I think this discussion about World War ! has derailed the thread like my talk of the nature of evil did.

maybe for those on this forum who know the show, maybe we could get back to what I said about My Little Pony, a few posts agao?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Please do. I don't even know how it got here, past BCM taking a shot at me.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

and also, trying to get on a different topic, I re-watched "Where No One Has Gone Before" and I still take issue with Chuck's dismissal of the Traveler's understanding of reality. again, magic is just parts of science we do not understand yet. Lots of things were considered magic before we understood them
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I can agree there. I mean, isn't Cosmic Armor Superman basically a hyper-conceptual being? How do you exist AS a concept? That's what Trek is doing here.
Elderdog
Officer

Post by Elderdog »

clearspira wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:18 am
Elderdog wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:47 am I would say that I kind of disagreed with him once during a review he did of SGA that involved McKay getting possessed by Cadman because, it's one of my favorite episodes because of the acting involved during the possession scenes and it does stick the landing with a lot of comedic moments.
However, I have to agree with Chuck that Cadman did cross a lot of personal and ethical lines with McKay during the episode.
I on the other hand agree with him 100% that sga has moral myopia. We have seen repeatedly how traumatic being a host to a worm is and yet the same exact same scenario is being played for laughs because it is McKay.

This is one of the worst episodes period, right alongside the guy who rapes women for laughs.
I agree with you, I know that after I watched the review I felt disappointed because I knew that Chuck's argument was completely valid. To me the episode mostly felt like the SG1 episode Holiday but, more focused on having the comedy rather than discussing the ethics involved. However, given that hindsight is 20/20 I believe that Holiday is the better episode because Teal'c and O'Neil where main characters and there were clear boundaries that they tried to set for each other.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Elderdog wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:29 am
clearspira wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:18 am
Elderdog wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:47 am I would say that I kind of disagreed with him once during a review he did of SGA that involved McKay getting possessed by Cadman because, it's one of my favorite episodes because of the acting involved during the possession scenes and it does stick the landing with a lot of comedic moments.
However, I have to agree with Chuck that Cadman did cross a lot of personal and ethical lines with McKay during the episode.
I on the other hand agree with him 100% that sga has moral myopia. We have seen repeatedly how traumatic being a host to a worm is and yet the same exact same scenario is being played for laughs because it is McKay.

This is one of the worst episodes period, right alongside the guy who rapes women for laughs.
I agree with you, I know that after I watched the review I felt disappointed because I knew that Chuck's argument was completely valid. To me the episode mostly felt like the SG1 episode Holiday but, more focused on having the comedy rather than discussing the ethics involved. However, given that hindsight is 20/20 I believe that Holiday is the better episode because Teal'c and O'Neil where main characters and there were clear boundaries that they tried to set for each other.
This BTW is one of the reasons why I hate SGU. I'm not sure that I have ever watched a show with the heroes having access to body swapping and those same heroes remaining all that heroic by the end. Ino in Naruto perhaps? Although when you can transform into anyone at will I guess the seedier aspects of cross gender body swapping have little appeal any more.

Its a villain power for a reason.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

and related to Clark's Third Law thing, I also don't have that much of a problem with technobable. real science or not, I almost always know what the words mean in context.

and sometimes I repeat myself because I have so much I want to say, sometimes I forget parts of it till later. but this is the last time I'll bring this up. I am still find it odd how Chuck sees villains like Oswald Danes from Torchwood are unrealistic. the Zodiac Killer's motivation was something similar to Danes wanting to keep abusing a little girl in Hell, the Zodiac Killer was collecting slaves for the afterlife. and the archetype that TV Tropes calls "Complete Monster" do pop up in things Chuck has praised like Kevis Fajo from TNG's "The Most Toys" or Davros from Doctor Who. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Monster/StarTrek
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... Whoniverse and for Trek, I still strongly believe Armus, the Borg Queen and Gul Dukat Prime should be on that list.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I also gotta disagree with his views on Ransom vs. Janeway. He said he thinks it speaks more about her than it does about him, while tbh, I don't see any good guys on either side, they're both equally bad. Maybe if he'd come down harder on Ransom, I could have bought it, but as is, that's not the sense I get from the review. It really feels like what he'd said, that "it may seem like I've got an ax to grind." I don't necessarily disagree with the arguments, I do disagree with how it's presented, ultimately.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:40 pm I also gotta disagree with his views on Ransom vs. Janeway. He said he thinks it speaks more about her than it does about him, while tbh, I don't see any good guys on either side, they're both equally bad. Maybe if he'd come down harder on Ransom, I could have bought it, but as is, that's not the sense I get from the review. It really feels like what he'd said, that "it may seem like I've got an ax to grind." I don't necessarily disagree with the arguments, I do disagree with how it's presented, ultimately.
I feel the same way about "Fortunate Son". Chuck gives lip service to how morally wrong Ryan was but still acts as it it's Archer and only Archer who has the problem. I agree with him on the big picture but that episode really wasn't about the big picture and the concern at the moment was Ryan and his mad vengeance. and also, Ryan tortured the pirate he had captive and almost killed Archer and T'Pol for a diversion that automatically makes any point he had null and void.