Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Yukaphile »

"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Villain can have depth while still being evil. I personally think that villain being evil just for sake of being evil isn't good either and is just bad writing. If that's all there is to villain then I can't take that villain seriously. It's one of the reasons why I can't stand DBZ anymore ever since I watched Cowboy Bebop with Vicious being good villain with depth while still clearly being one. Even Magic Knight Rayearth that seems like silly Isekai anime with magical girls has actually interesting villains that all have they own dreams and goals.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Sensui and Toguro have more depth than DBZ villains.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

well, actually, in Dragon Ball Super, there is Zamasu/Goku Black. he genuinely believes he was doing the multiverse good by committing genocide against all mortals but this bit of depth rings hollow for several reasons. he claims he's doing it for the sake of the other gods but he murdered all the other gods so they couldn't stop him(all this happened in Future Trunks' alternate timeline, so it wasn't undone like usual) and his is a supreme narcissist, declaring himself the ultimate god and showing contempt for other devise beings for not thinking like him. and he claims he is doing this because mortals are savage and dangerous yet he's not only killed more than any mortal but he takes sadistic joy in his "Project Zero Mortals".

and to make this more relevant to things Chuck has talked about, most of Trek has has one dimensional, but still good villains, even in stuff Chuck praised like Kevis Fajo from "The Most Toys".
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And that's still a pale shadow of Sensui.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

So even when DB franchise tries to have villain with little more depth it's still lot less than most other anime and manga have. Including some other shounen anime and manga like Naruto.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Mecha82 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:29 pm So even when DB franchise tries to have villain with little more depth it's still lot less than most other anime and manga have. Including some other shounen anime and manga like Naruto.
I was demenstraiting what you were saying, that Dragon Ball has villains that are more then just evil for it's own sake but still pure evil. and by the way, Frieza wasn't evil just for it's own sake either, his ongoing goal is to gain power and to dominate all he sees.

and again, Chuck gave praise to episodes of Star Trek that have villains that are just pure evil psychopaths like Kevis Fajo or Melekon and yet turns around and says that pure evil villains are objectively bad.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

He was a planet pirate. Cell wanted to please his father and become perfect.

It's not the first time he's contradicted himself, dude. We all have them.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:25 pm no one who is a Borg was made so by choice, Seven wanting to return was just brainwashing mixed with her stunted emotional maturity at the time.
From what I experienced of people, there have to be people who wanted to be Borg. But more seriously, at least some of the founding race probably thought this was a good idea and willingly joined, possibly without knowing what they were truly in for, but it would not surprise me that some would even if they had a good idea.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Please, take this to my thread. There's a proper place for it. And can we please get back on track?