Babylon 5: Revelations

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Babylon 5: Revelations

Post by Yukaphile »

THANK YOU, ADMIRAL X!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Admiral X wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:17 am
MightyDavidson wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:41 am Also is shooting them really more humane then chucking them out into space?
Depending on where you shot them, death would be instantaneous or nearly so, but spacing would last several minutes and be very painful.
Now if your purpose is to make them suffer while they die
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I guess they do want "traitors" to suffer, but... that seems so at odds with common humanity, I can't believe it's really a thing.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

The Guy helped with the murder of the president, everybody on bored the ship with said president, then killed all the other loose ends along with shooting Garibaldi in the back...

He might suffer discomfort as he dies is low on my list of give a damn about - Granted to me Executions should be quick and efficient the only reason to have a gruesome execution style is to have it viewed by the public as in to reinforce the notion of DO NOT DO THIS OR WE'LL FUCKING KILL YOU LIKE THIS IE The Night Haunter approach

then again, He was most likely another loose end that was dealt with seeing how Clark is so if it makes you feel better he was most likely shot in the head first and then he was dumped out into space.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

The Space Navy has to uphold and update the wet navy traditions!
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Perhaps, but there's no chance an innocent person could be spaced by mistake? You don't think Clark had "traitors" spaced? In other words, potentially innocent people? That's why I'm against excessive torture when dealing with criminals. Incarcerate them, maybe even solitary confinement, but spacing is just... evil.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:21 pm Perhaps, but there's no chance an innocent person could be spaced by mistake? You don't think Clark had "traitors" spaced? In other words, potentially innocent people? That's why I'm against excessive torture when dealing with criminals. Incarcerate them, maybe even solitary confinement, but spacing is just... evil.
Clark had armed troops storm and butcher the EA's news network live on the air

So no it wouldn't surprise me if he murdered innocent people but that him abusing his authority not an issue with the punishment which seems to be the thing your conflating into the same thing... I mean if your worried some evil bastard is gonna take control and abuse the justice system

You could easily argue your method is just as abused, People get wrongly convicted, LOSE everything and then rot away in a Jail cell forever cause they ain't got friends in the right places

there are FAR worse things in this life then Dying
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I agree, but I care specifically about HOW people die. We have no idea what awaits us in the other world. Let's say your last minutes reflect the life to come. Oh boy. If it's pain and agony... well, yeah. That's gonna suck. Not just that, though, but I believe even with an execution, in being as humane as possible.
abki
Redshirt

Post by abki »

MixedDrops wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:47 am Since they remove and place in a new personality for the person using a computer, wouldn't it be possible to save the old personality and put it back in? I imagine that'd be kinda useful in those "whoops, I guess he was innocent" cases, and in that sense it'd be preferable to the death penalty since you can't really CTRL+Z death...unless you're Sheridan I guess.
Interesting, but now it's arguably even more horrifying because you're effectively sentencing the created personality to death of personality. What happens if the implanted personality doesn't want to go? Or if they feel they can do more good in the world than the original? Would they have no rights and be forced to undergo death of personality?

The only workaround I can think of is to ensure that the new personality is always willing to sacrifice their own life for another's; but in that case it seems you're still effectively sentencing the person to death, just in a manner that benefits society (i.e. the new personality donates they organs to strangers, joins a high risk profession that saves lives, etc...). That seems to lead to the same ethical questions as the life-transferring machine, just in a less obvious manner.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:49 pm I agree, but I care specifically about HOW people die. We have no idea what awaits us in the other world. Let's say your last minutes reflect the life to come. Oh boy. If it's pain and agony... well, yeah. That's gonna suck. Not just that, though, but I believe even with an execution, in being as humane as possible.
and being stuck in 2X2 cell drowned in depression with no hope basically lamenting the fact you didn't get to live YOUR life for all of eternity is somehow better?