DIS - Point of Light

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: DIS - Point of Light

Post by Yukaphile »

At least they toned it down compared to Season 1. That's better than how it was.

And to play Devil's Advocate, General Chang was bald. Thought that was one man and not a whole race.

Putting the Force in Star Trek, well, like I said, blame Voyager. The Caretaker was a "Spore" type lifeform, not even gonna bother googling Memory Alpha to write it properly. And their approach to science was pretty much "it's magic" under the guidance of Brannon Braga. So really, you can blame him for normalizing it among Trek.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I just considered the Pa Wraiths to be the force for Star Trek.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

BunBun299 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:18 am
Deledrius wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 am
BunBun299 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:56 am No, they just think that all life in the universe is dependent on Magic Mushrooms.
This show asserts that they're a force which binds everything in the universe in the cycle of life and death.

:facepalm:
They added a bunch of stuff about the Magic Mushrooms to STO over the past couple months. Playing through that mission in the the Mushroom dimension, I finally understood what they really are. They're the Force in Star Trek. The Force, with an even stupider explanation than Midichlorians.
That mission is the worst content STO's ever had. Worse than the Kobali even.

It basically says that forcibly parasitizing and modifying somebody's body as part of your reproductive cycle is A-OK and totally ethical as long as you're a hippie on shrooms.

I've never been so angry in my life, because after the shitstorm of Kobaligate ("We are a Peaceful People (tm) therefore it's OK that we mass-rape people and forcibly transform them to Kobali in a viscerally horrifying way" and the player is not allowed to object to this in any meaningful way), the writers should damn well know better.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:59 am Isn't the mycelial plane based on the Caretaker's race? So blame Voyager for the bad math. It sadly seems consistent to Trek lore on that basis.
Nope, completely unrelated. There is nothing that connects them in-show. Their names are different, too.

If you want to think they're connected, go ahead, but the show has done no such thing.
Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:52 amAnd their approach to science was pretty much "it's magic" under the guidance of Brannon Braga. So really, you can blame him for normalizing it among Trek.
Nope, bad logic. Unrelated mistakes made in the past don't excuse completely new mistakes made by new people who have had plenty of time to know better. There's a lot more access to legit science and science-fiction authors, too. No excuse except laziness and a lack of care.

The Original Sin here is that Fuller fell in love with this stupid death mushroom magic written by a quack "scientist" and no one managed to toss that all out once he left along with rest of his horrible ideas.
Worffan101 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:02 pm That mission is the worst content STO's ever had. Worse than the Kobali even.
That's not an easy bar to beat.
Worffan101 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:02 pm It basically says that forcibly parasitizing and modifying somebody's body as part of your reproductive cycle is A-OK and totally ethical as long as you're a hippie on shrooms.

I've never been so angry in my life, because after the shitstorm of Kobaligate ("We are a Peaceful People (tm) therefore it's OK that we mass-rape people and forcibly transform them to Kobali in a viscerally horrifying way" and the player is not allowed to object to this in any meaningful way), the writers should damn well know better.
I really can't stand this junk. At its most charitable, it's "I can't be bothered to tell a strong story so I concoct a muddy moral situation, fail to utilize it in any way, and call it deep".
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

BunBun299 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:56 am
Chaltab wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:10 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:19 pm No offense to the actor, but the character is awful. And the whole concept behind his species, even with the Short Trek retcon, is Brannon Braga levels of understanding evolution. A race so chronically terrified of everything, and which evolved from livestock at that, would either have had a species wide coronary long before it achieved sapience, or would have lost that fear boner trait on its way.
Yeah, and the whole 'fear boner' trait was revealed to be a nascent trait that the Kelpiens grow out of and become their world's apex predator? Like did you miss the whole thing where the Great Balance is a lie foisted upon them by a physically weaker but technologically more advanced species? They're more akin to what humans did to wolves to make them into dogs than anything else.

..also with all due respect to him (which is very little), nobody had a poorer understanding of evolution of evolution than Brannon Braga! Nobody in Discovery has attributed a divine plan to evolution so far, at least, or had a creature evolve into a salamander.
No, they just think that all life in the universe is dependent on Magic Mushrooms.
Just because the writers room depends on them...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Got it. The Caretaker was a Sporocystian lifeform. Spores. There you go.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:49 pm Got it. The Caretaker was a Sporocystian lifeform. Spores. There you go.
Yes, I know why you misremembered a connection. It's an easy mistake to make. I sincerely doubt the resemblance is intentional and, as I mentioned, the show has never made the connection even when talking directly to an inhabitant of the spore-subspace-universe. Maybe they'll eventually connect the dots, and maybe they won't. Time will tell.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Seeing that The Caretaker could take ships from far away and tekeport them to it's location connection between The Caretaker and Spore drive does make some sense. It's just that that hasn't been confirmed and denied by Discovery's writers so so far that's just speculation.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

True, but it really is kind of amusing if they're cribbing inspiration from Voyager at this point.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:17 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:02 pm That mission is the worst content STO's ever had. Worse than the Kobali even.
That's not an easy bar to beat.
Yeah, Kobaligate is still whispered of as the worst thing ever.

The Elachi retcon was worse, but fortunately they seem to have realized that it was a mistake and quickly glossed over it, though we should wait and see what the next episode contains.
Deledrius wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:17 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:02 pm It basically says that forcibly parasitizing and modifying somebody's body as part of your reproductive cycle is A-OK and totally ethical as long as you're a hippie on shrooms.

I really can't stand this junk. At its most charitable, it's "I can't be bothered to tell a strong story so I concoct a muddy moral situation, fail to utilize it in any way, and call it deep".
It's comically bad, and the morality isn't even muddy. It's just a transparent attempt to retcon the Elachi awkwardly into not-total-monsters, when every other bit of canon the game has portrays the Elachi as total, irredeemable monsters.