ENT - Bound

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: ENT - Bound

Post by CrypticMirror »

Well the thing was that the social convention was that a man was always horny all the time and thus, even if misled and drugged, would be glad to get laid anyway. A convention, belief, trope, whatever word you want to use, that was thought up and perpetuated by male written media, and still used by men as a defence in male on female rape cases, which also as a side effect harms men when they are the ones taken advantage of; more commonly in real life by other men than by women; and thus is exactly what is meant when people talk about toxic masculinity.

It harms men as well as women.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Are there rape connotations even in the episode?
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:03 pm Are there rape connotations even in the episode?
You can make a sexual assault argument easily.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:46 pm The noughties (or in this case, a nineties legacy franchise masking itself as a noughties piece) were an interesting time in that men were still very much considered people you could rape and have it be funny. ''Enterprise'' itself proved this with the Trip date rape episode where everyone thought it hilarious that he had in fact been raped, but the other property from this era that springs to mind for me is Harry Potter.

And people like to justify the love potion plot with ''ah, but we see with Voldemort how bad they actually are'' but the fact is that the girl who tries to drug Harry (despite Hermione the rules obsessed Prefect knowing all about it BEFORE it happens) gets away cleanly. The Weasley twins are never punished for selling the stuff and bragging about smuggling it into Hogwarts. There is even a scene where Mrs Weasley is giggling about brewing one in her youth. Would she have giggled if she knew what happened to Ron? Probably not the hypocrite.

Things I think are slowly changing, at least people like us are discussing it now and getting heard.
In the case of Harry Potter, because it's a children's series, you're not meant to assume that the kids love potioning each other end up having sex. Realistically, yeah, they're teenagers for most of the books, so that sort of thing would happen. But within the context of the genre, you're not meant to think that things ever go beyond smooching (except in the case of Voldemort's parents, where it is treated as horribly wrong).
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I seem to recall a scene from one of the movies where there was the ghost of a young woman who hung out in a public bath who made it super obvious she was checking out Harry below the water line while he was in the the bath.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Admiral X wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:03 am I seem to recall a scene from one of the movies where there was the ghost of a young woman who hung out in a public bath who made it super obvious she was checking out Harry below the water line while he was in the the bath.
In the books, Harry remembers this and basically avoids anywhere she might be for the rest of the stories after this.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:27 am
Admiral X wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:03 am I seem to recall a scene from one of the movies where there was the ghost of a young woman who hung out in a public bath who made it super obvious she was checking out Harry below the water line while he was in the the bath.
In the books, Harry remembers this and basically avoids anywhere she might be for the rest of the stories after this.
For whatever reason I missed the context and thought that this was talking about Harry Kim.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

That still works, but for different reasons.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:46 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:45 pm I'm frankly surprised that Chuck didn't mention the blatant misandry of the script and how it effectively slut-shames most of the male crew and treats them being essentially drugged and sexually assaulted (the script makes it explicit that Orion women produce pheromones that act like date-rape drugs). Then again, MOST sex comedies are loaded with blatant misogyny and misandry both; the idea that "men can't control their sex drives hurr durr" also carries the implication that men inherently cannot withhold consent--which goes even beyond the date-rape in ENT: "Unexpected" where it's "only" never brought up that Trip never consented to sex (which, to Chuck's credit, he mercilessly skewered for the disgusting rape-apologist shit that it was).

Christ, I can't believe that "Bound" came only a couple of years before SVU specifically called out the "men are always up for sex" trope for the rape-apologist shit that it is.
The noughties (or in this case, a nineties legacy franchise masking itself as a noughties piece) were an interesting time in that men were still very much considered people you could rape and have it be funny. ''Enterprise'' itself proved this with the Trip date rape episode where everyone thought it hilarious that he had in fact been raped, but the other property from this era that springs to mind for me is Harry Potter.

And people like to justify the love potion plot with ''ah, but we see with Voldemort how bad they actually are'' but the fact is that the girl who tries to drug Harry (despite Hermione the rules obsessed Prefect knowing all about it BEFORE it happens) gets away cleanly. The Weasley twins are never punished for selling the stuff and bragging about smuggling it into Hogwarts. There is even a scene where Mrs Weasley is giggling about brewing one in her youth. Would she have giggled if she knew what happened to Ron? Probably not the hypocrite.

Things I think are slowly changing, at least people like us are discussing it now and getting heard.
Oh, yeah, THAT subplot...man, Harry Potter has SO many issues when you go back and read it as an adult.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Worffan101 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:26 pm Oh, yeah, THAT subplot...man, Harry Potter has SO many issues when you go back and read it as an adult.
Most of it is "story that takes place in the 1990s when read in 2020 isn't progressive by today's standards" even though the entire series is filled to the brim with progressive messages.