MLP Lincoln's Day (?) Show

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: MLP Lincoln's Day (?) Show

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

also, does Chuck not talk about the issue I share with a big portion of the fandom because he doesn't want to open that can of worms or does he actually not know?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I don't know.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:46 am also, does Chuck not talk about the issue I share with a big portion of the fandom because he doesn't want to open that can of worms or does he actually not know?
It's possible this issue, while of great importance to you, is not as striking as you think for a vast majority of the audience. Different people have different expectations for media.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:16 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:46 am also, does Chuck not talk about the issue I share with a big portion of the fandom because he doesn't want to open that can of worms or does he actually not know?
It's possible this issue, while of great importance to you, is not as striking as you think for a vast majority of the audience. Different people have different expectations for media.
Most people don't think why don't the children show villains end up in prison.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:28 am
Deledrius wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:16 am
Most people don't think why don't the children show villains end up in prison.
there are a lot of people that do have this problem too, look it up on TV Tropes or the MLP Forum.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Deledrius wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:41 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:35 am in this case, taking responsibility means going to prison.
I don't get it. That's very specific, and one doesn't follow the other. I assume there's some personal rationale there.
to clarify, I think that if someone who does something criminal should turn themselves in, that is taking responsibility for their actions.

and about what someone else said about showing consequences not being the point, can someone direct me to an episode of this or any other kids' show that does teach it's target audience about accountability?

and again, it may not bother me as much if it didn't seem like the entire universe forgives these former villains. Tempest Shadow from the movie, commanded an invading army that conquered Equestria and oversaw the enslavement of it's people and the burning of cities, yet, there is no problem with her or her troops being part of the party at the end.

and I know it is an adult aimed cartoon but I think the moral of the BoJack Horsman episode "'The Telescope" could be handled by kids. sometimes, you won't be forgiven and you have to lean to live with that.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:19 pm and about what someone else said about showing consequences not being the point, can someone direct me to an episode of this or any other kids' show that does teach it's target audience about accountability?
I think you'll find that a large number of episodes of Gargoyles does this. The series finale Hunter's Moon, certainly.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Deledrius wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:25 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:19 pm and about what someone else said about showing consequences not being the point, can someone direct me to an episode of this or any other kids' show that does teach it's target audience about accountability?
I think you'll find that a large number of episodes of Gargoyles does this. The series finale Hunter's Moon, certainly.
I mean a TV-Y show that spells it out in a "here's the moral of the episode" scene. part of the problem that I forgot to mention is that I am autistic and 9 out of 10 times, I need things spelled out to me, even as an adult. that's why I keep asking as to how I can imagine punishments happening off screen.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:33 pm
Deledrius wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:25 pm
I mean a TV-Y show that spells it out in a "here's the moral of the episode" scene. part of the problem that I forgot to mention is that I am autistic and 9 out of 10 times, I need things spelled out to me, even as an adult. that's why I keep asking as to how I can imagine punishments happening off screen.
Two points:
- I don't think you're going to find this in the 2-6 year old audience segment. There are layers to this sort of thing, and that's generally considered a concept which is developmentally older. Gargoyles would probably be TV-Y7 if it were made today. MLP is about basic concepts such as generosity, forgiveness, friendship, because that's the level the core audience is at and the morals they need. You're older, and you're wanting nuance and complexity which would make sense to only a relatively small number of the target audience of children.
- Most media is still aimed at neurotypical audiences. It's going to assume those abilities, for good or for ill. You want things spelled out for you, and in many cases I'd say you're right, but the people making a lot of these stories assume that they can imply punishment without needing to show it and the audience will be satisfied. Whether that's fair to other members of the audience is a conversation worth having, but in the context of the show's expectations, they're probably usually correct.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Trinary wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:16 am Sometimes it isn't necessary to go into the punishment aspect because that's not the point of the episode and it would distract to divert onto that, like "Tanks for the Memories." It's not about learning that actions have consequences or whatnot, it's about the grieving process so focusing on Law and Order: Equestria would not help in that.
another thing, so, when would it be appropriate to show punishments and when not? like we have "The Cutie Re-Mark" "Inspiration Manifestation", "Twilight's Kingdom", "Make New Friends But Keep Discord", "The Hearth's Warming Club" and the 2017 movie where I think punishments should have happened. probably more but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

especially the villains from the movie, Tempest Shadow and the army she commanded are war criminals but a line of dialogue from the beginning of season 8 and cameos in season 9, makes it clear they faced no consequences.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Fan on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.