TNG - Reunion

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Beastro
Captain

Re: TNG - Reunion

Post by Beastro »

cdrood wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:20 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:03 pm At this point if course we should remember that Jadzia once teamed up with Kang and Koloth to seek revenge. All she got was a headshake.

But that is Starfleet for you. Kirk can sleep with the universe, Kim gets a reprimand for a single nights fun. Ro gets her earring taken away because of the uniform code, Worf keeps his bandolier. It really seems as if laws and rules in this universe only exist by the captain's whim.
If you actually analyze Kirk's so-call promiscuity you actually see it's usually done with a purpose. He uses his charms to fulfill the mission and/or save his ship and crew. It's not really for personal pleasure. On the other hand, his actual romances are usually with professional women who maintain deep feelings for him after and are willing to renew the relationship even when they know it's only for a short time.
Kirk was an loner who loved his career. I could see him sitting by himself reading and getting frustrated with nothing to do if he didn't have anyone else he was required to work with. I doubt he'd be out charming women in his free time.

It's why his comment about dying alone was so fitting and why what Generations did was so hurtful to the characters integrity.

Pretty much the entirety of the original cast were people married to their jobs that came off as loners without much of a private life beyond what they could fit in serving Star Fleet. They were all together to serve and had a comradery from living that shared life. Think about it: They always have people from their past appear but we never see them actively working on something that doesn't include their job or each other (Camping at Yosemite).

In comparison, everyone in TNG has something they love to do on the side, even Picard, who is the closest to that archetype and actively resisted letting his hair down much of the time. Voyager repeated that, as did Enterprise.

DS9 is about the polar opposite with everyone's private live's having something going on. Even Odo managed to work that in despite trying his hardest to be his job.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The original show gives no nuance to Kirk's personal life.

The movies make him compelled to stay in space then compelled to resign from Starfleet. I believe that his death signifies the end of exploration as a collective pursuit of humanity's.
..What mirror universe?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

As off topic as this has gotten I think it speaks to a larger issue with Star Trek as a franchise.

Captain Kirk's final line in live action should have been, "Second star to the right, and straight on till morning." At the end of the Undiscovered Country.

While I have nothing against Shatner's acting in Generations, it was entirely unnecessary. Paramount's inability to just let the original cast fade into legend hurt the brand and belittled the future. TNG was just as iconic as the original series at that point, but rather than allowing for a clean break and a push into the future they wallowed.

Maybe I am alone that I really liked the reboot in 2009, but I never refer to Chris Pine as "Kirk". I call him Gary, as he is so distant from the original that them being the same character is nonsense. It should have just been a new crew. Constantly trying to recapture the 1960's is a fool's errand and I would go so far as to say that it betrays the very core of the Star Trek as property which is about... you know... exploration and NEW worlds.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

cdrood wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:20 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:03 pm At this point if course we should remember that Jadzia once teamed up with Kang and Koloth to seek revenge. All she got was a headshake.

But that is Starfleet for you. Kirk can sleep with the universe, Kim gets a reprimand for a single nights fun. Ro gets her earring taken away because of the uniform code, Worf keeps his bandolier. It really seems as if laws and rules in this universe only exist by the captain's whim.
If you actually analyze Kirk's so-call promiscuity you actually see it's usually done with a purpose. He uses his charms to fulfill the mission and/or save his ship and crew. It's not really for personal pleasure. On the other hand, his actual romances are usually with professional women who maintain deep feelings for him after and are willing to renew the relationship even when they know it's only for a short time.
Quite so. Even around here, I frequently see the effects of Kirk Drift in popular culture.