Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Yukaphile »

I disagree in his assertion that the wampa should have stayed out of frame, to make it scarier. That's only with respect to the limited technology at the time, and that they were pressed for time, itself. I love the updated wampa. It actually looks very good. And it's an actual prop, not CGI. It seems he only said that in the spirit of "we should preserve how it was originally," and I just can't get into that mindset because... the effects are... especially in ANH... very, very cheesy. I don't buy Alderaan blowing up at ALL. I grew up with the Special Edition, and it's what I loved, even if I later grew to understand Lucas's excesses that got in the way. And I have a similar feeling Chuck feels the same for his childhood. After all, he'd have been four when Star Wars came out, lol. I was like nine or ten when I got to see the Special Edition.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

One nitpicky thing I disagree with is in Broken Bow, Chuck makes a big deal about the crew saying "hull plating offline" in that hull plating is a physical thing and being "offline" means "broken." I disagree, while yes, that is by definition what that phrasing means, throughout Enterprise, I always took it as a shorthand for the hull plating polarization system. Saying that would be quite a mouthful, and I don't know another way to say that that's much better; "polarization" is clunky when said rapidly in the heat of battle, "hardening system" might be ok. But the overall point is that they're clearly referring to the underlying system that supplies power to maintain the hull hardness, Chuck even makes reference to such a system. I know, it's a little contrived in order to have the historical Trek/scifi trope of shields progressively dropping, but it's also not entirely unrealistic (can I use that word for referring to scifi?) to have a powered system taking energy blasts, to become progressively less effective.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

This is now my new headcanon. Thank you!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's an area I'd disagree with Chuck. He compares the epicness of the Millennium escaping the first Death Star to backing out of a driveway. And yet, that's precisely what The Search for Spock did with the original Enterprise, so I disagree with that logic. I dunno, I just like both.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

For his Contradiction review, he proposed an alternate ending (I can't remember all the details) that suggested the phone line was disconnected and Jenks isn't really talking to headquarters as a way to explain why he dosn't act like a professional detective. I dislike it mostly because of my strong feelings against "all in his head" type twists.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:28 pm Here's an area I'd disagree with Chuck. He compares the epicness of the Millennium escaping the first Death Star to backing out of a driveway. And yet, that's precisely what The Search for Spock did with the original Enterprise, so I disagree with that logic. I dunno, I just like both.
1) I do not recall Chuck gushing all that much about the Enterprise escaping either.

2) More importantly though, there was more riding on the Enterprise escaping spacedock for it was a ship that was about to be retired. The audience in a better movie should have been cheering and wanting desperately for the ship to go on one last adventure. Ultimately, whilst yes the Falcon could have been destroyed by weapons fire, the stakes simply were not as high.

Enterprise - Retirement or death.

Millennium Falcon - Pretty good chances actually.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Zatman wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:16 am One nitpicky thing I disagree with is in Broken Bow, Chuck makes a big deal about the crew saying "hull plating offline" in that hull plating is a physical thing and being "offline" means "broken." I disagree, while yes, that is by definition what that phrasing means, throughout Enterprise, I always took it as a shorthand for the hull plating polarization system. Saying that would be quite a mouthful, and I don't know another way to say that that's much better; "polarization" is clunky when said rapidly in the heat of battle, "hardening system" might be ok. But the overall point is that they're clearly referring to the underlying system that supplies power to maintain the hull hardness, Chuck even makes reference to such a system. I know, it's a little contrived in order to have the historical Trek/scifi trope of shields progressively dropping, but it's also not entirely unrealistic (can I use that word for referring to scifi?) to have a powered system taking energy blasts, to become progressively less effective.
Yeah but... why is the metal now ''softer'' thanks to the system having less power? What does that actually mean in practical terms? I'm with Chuck. It seems damn contrived that the hull could take enough damage to become ''soft'' as in ''have a whole system that is weaved into the hull break down to the point that it no longer works'' but still have the hull otherwise be perfectly fine.

Same with the percentages. What you are actually saying here is ''the hull is now 52% soft''. That doesn't mean anything. The hull under such a system should be ''hard, soft, broken'', with ''soft'' being something that realistically should be true only whilst in ''ready status'' away from battle.

Now... if the hull wasn't becoming ''hard'' but was rather being surrounded by a force field then suddenly all of the problems go away. It is a system more primitive than a deflector shield which fits the era, we know that they in fact have force field tech from the episode with the cum creature, and you can apply energy percentages to it. But that is not what is happening.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Chuck DID say that the most memorable moment to The Search for Spock was the Enterprise backing out, despite joking about the janitor, because it proved "the old girl still had it in her."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:00 pm Chuck DID say that the most memorable moment to The Search for Spock was the Enterprise backing out, despite joking about the janitor, because it proved "the old girl still had it in her."
Fair enough, but it was for the reasons I laid out. The Enterprise in this film was being told that she was an old woman. A lame horse. An athlete with a broken leg. And everyone in the audience wanted her to flash a metaphorical middle finger to that admiral at the start of the film who wanted to retire her and prove that she had it. And considering that Kirk is still using a Constitution class in Star Trek 6 many years later, it is clear to me that what the admiral was actually saying was ''we do not want to spend the resources repairing it'' rather than it actually being obsolete.

The Millennium Falcon in ANH is just a cool looking ship. No more, no less.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'll concede to you there, but point remains, I loved both those sequences. :D