TNG - Birthright

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Cheerilee
Redshirt

Re: TNG - Birthright

Post by Cheerilee »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:07 pmI was wondering about the decision to sustain his ultimate passing. Narratively it allows Worf to have his spiritual journey at this place, but it seems like a loose end that the show would have to come back to if he just left his father there.
Leave the episode pretty much as it is. Then as the Romulan supply shuttle flies off with Worf and the kids, L'Kor can look up and say "Goodbye forever, my son. I'll not be seeing you again." Tell the audience that Worf really did meet his father on this adventure, and spoke with him at length, but Mogh sacrificed any chance at having a happy life with Worf on his absolute and inflexible insistence that Worf should not carry this dishonor.

Worf mustered up his resolve and faced the truth of the possibility of his father being alive, and left with an intact happy lie about his father dying in glorious battle. That's how he can say "I would have been happy to find my father here." Because he braced himself for the hard truth and stepped forward, but then he was spared the reality of it. Worf can go forward with confidence knowing that he faced his test and came out on top, but what he doesn't know is that his father intervened on Worf's behalf, and the test pulled it's punches.

It's not a loose thread. Worf's never coming back to rescue Mogh, because he's never coming back to rescue L'Kor. And Mogh would not have it any other way.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Suppose, instead of being about Klingons, this episode was about a group of humans who, after being abducted by a powerful alien race, have built a culture and lifestyle of peace and harmony for themselves, either rejecting or being unaware of humanity's old warlike ways. But then someone more in touch with humanity's violent past arrives, and starts teaching the people there how to hunt and fight and kill, while expressing visceral disgust at the idea of co-existing and copulating with aliens.

If that were the premise of the episode, then I can't believe that Star Trek would present this restoration of martial culture as being anything other than woefully misguided at best, or outright villainous at worst. Doing otherwise would be about as antithetical to the franchise's core themes as you could get.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fianna wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:17 pm Suppose, instead of being about Klingons, this episode was about a group of humans who, after being abducted by a powerful alien race, have built a culture and lifestyle of peace and harmony for themselves, either rejecting or being unaware of humanity's old warlike ways. But then someone more in touch with humanity's violent past arrives, and starts teaching the people there how to hunt and fight and kill, while expressing visceral disgust at the idea of co-existing and copulating with aliens.

If that were the premise of the episode, then I can't believe that Star Trek would present this restoration of martial culture as being anything other than woefully misguided at best, or outright villainous at worst. Doing otherwise would be about as antithetical to the franchise's core themes as you could get.
Isn't that more or less just unimatrix zero?
..What mirror universe?
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

I think part of the problem is that the Klingons (like a lot of Trek races) are such a planet of hats. So to see Klingons behaving in a way that deviates from that, even if its under the circumstances of being prisoners, is so refreshing that Worf pushing the one-note culture we've already seen is distinctly unwelcome.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:51 pm It goes far past that and extends into romantic relationships. Who does Sisko primarily date? Black women. I mean, real interracial and interspecies relationships are seemingly very rare, for as much as Kirk's status as a legendary ladies man who'd bed green women is, it's largely an exaggeration. The most we see is Worf/Dax, a black man and white woman, a Klingon and a Trill, and Sisko once boned Mirror Dax. That's the extent of our "diversity" in the 1990s. Shit, ever since I was a kid, I'd wanted my first lover to be a black woman, and a woman of DEEP and RICH black color, because I thought it was beautiful, and I'm as white as you can get. I am SUPER WHITE.
Your point about Kirk is well stated. The vast majority of his "one night stands" with alien women tend to be a means to an end. He'll seduce them to get information or to get them on his side. It's very much a James Bond scenario.

When you look at the actual relationships we've been presented, it's a much different scenario. All are human and Caucasian. All are highly intelligent and as focused on their careers as he is, which kind of gives him an out. However, in all but one instance, they seem to truly maintain a genuine affection and would seemingly be willing to resume the relationship, even if only for a short time.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

turbo_sailor67 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:26 pm Worf's part of Birthright was very interesting to me; given my experiences with different groups and units and commands. There were good points that were brought up, like Worf's attitude towards the female Romulan/Klingon hybrid - but even then we have a history of Worf not exactly taking well to Klingons anyway. The running joke on this site in early TNG seasons is that Worf is just a feral animal, so I think Worf displays some nuance (for him) in dealing with this location that is Romulan and Klingon together.

Worf's declaration of "I'll stay, but you can't make me not be me while I'm here." is reminiscent to me of places and groups I've had to be in where they tried to make it so you were whatever they expected or demanded you to be while you were there, and nothing else. You're not allowed to have outside interests, not permitted to search for alternatives, or a community that one would better fit in as a community.

Certainly this place is NOT the place for Worf, but at no time does Worf put a gun - I mean a phaser to any individual's head and expect that all Klingons follow the one true way - Worf's way, then they should all be killed to save their honor.

What Worf does do is invite those who have any interest in exploring learning some aspects of their culture that they were unaware of, or forbidden to learn as the case may be. Yes he does instigate some of it, but Worf would never force any of the people there to come to his way of thinking.

Look at Worf's own experience with his son Alexander, how much he struggles to have him fit the mold of a perfect Klingon son. You can say that Worf dumps Alexander on his parents to get rid of him because he views his son as a failure, but more likely it's that Alexander isn't going to be able to adapt to the kind of active duty lifestyle that Worf has serving as ship's company.

I think he does a better approach here with playfully and gently (for Wof) guiding those who show interest into their heritage. If the society the Romulans and Klingons have built together can only sustain itself by forbidding anyone to ever leave the area, or learn about any Klingon culture, then it still is a prison, only a more benign one; and not particularly stable either if an outsider's ideas could bring the whole thing to collapse.

Should anyone I know who has served with me be asked, they would tell you that I push back against strict adherence to ideas, things that are explicitly forbidden, or tradition simply because I'm told "because I say so", for example: Command P.T. - no problem with that, however I said I would not participate in a command sports game because I just detest playing sports. Nowhere does it say I can be ordered to play a sports game -AFTER- P.T. with the unit simply because the majority would like to play so they can delay starting work. They were not happy at all because this is their custom and they've built a thing around it.

I always want to know why and that's not a question that people like hearing who are your superiors. That may be why I like the Worf story a lot more than either Data's, or the review's opinion. I'm fine with that being an unpopular opinion, it just seems to me that Worf's part of this got a lot more looking down on than it deserved.
I'll point out as a fellow Veteran that the purpose of such activities is to build team morale and bond you with the people you're serving, so as to be more effective together. However, it is annoying when you have time off and you want to spend it doing what you want, and instead are spending it doing what your commanders' want.

Worf's experience is a little different than being forced into mandated extracurricular activities with the rest of the community, however. He's being thrown onto a former prison turned into penal colony. There was a bloody war in living memory of those on that planet, and they've found a way to find peace between them and stop being bloodthirsty enemies towards each other. While traditions are vital to a culture, they're not completely forgotten or restricted in this case. They still have the songs, games, fashions, etc. that are part of the Klingon culture. Worf isn't satisfied with how it's evolved from his version of Klingon beliefs, and is unhappy with it. The episode then sides with him on this, and we're supposed to side against the older generation for having built peace between these two warring peoples.

I'd like to compare this to Pike from the season 2 Discovery episode "New Eden", when he discovers the primitive humans on a faraway colony, with their combination of different beliefs and cultures to make a more peaceful world. He doesn't chide their accomplishments, he listens, and quietly accepts that they have different views on things, and have changed culturally than from what we are, and it has worked for them. They run into some prime directive shenanigans, and he does give them a boost to help their culture to get progress started, but he doesn't start showing immediate revulsion for their differences from what he's used to. (This is also why I'm very fond of Pike, he's a very diplomatic and principled man)

Worf doesn't seem to recognize the great potential this community has achieved, and views it with utter scorn. That's why it's a little hard to side with him.
Fianna wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:17 pm Suppose, instead of being about Klingons, this episode was about a group of humans who, after being abducted by a powerful alien race, have built a culture and lifestyle of peace and harmony for themselves, either rejecting or being unaware of humanity's old warlike ways. But then someone more in touch with humanity's violent past arrives, and starts teaching the people there how to hunt and fight and kill, while expressing visceral disgust at the idea of co-existing and copulating with aliens.

You're basically describing any work about a man finding utopia, and either having to leave because his presences would destroy it, he eventually settles into their ways and obtains peace, or has to defend it against a greater threat. See the novel or movie Lost Horizon and my sig for reference about why such a place would have to exist in secret.

If it's not that, expect a grand reveal that they're meant to be cattle for some other predator race, and need to learn the value of violence again. See a number of Outer Limits and Twilight Zone episodes in which peace on earth and good will towards man is actually an alien plot to use us.

This episode doesn't really hit either, and that's the problem. We're supposed to side with Worf in his quest to utterly destroy their society, but the episode kind of realizes that this is a bad thing, so we have this weird compromise. Plus, from what we've seen of Klingon culture, excluding Worf, they're utter hypocrites who only care about the face of honor when compared to other families and what their honor gives their family in return(power, wealth, land, vassals, etc.) The Klingons there are leaving their lives and are going to have to be burdened with those societal expectations for the rest of their lives, or disappear and swiftly either emigrating to the Federation, or returning to the planet to rejoin their families.

Remember, this is the same culture that disrespects any non-warrior, and they're primarily raised to be farmers and craftsmen. They're going to find themselves, unless they're of very high blood(which may not matter due to some of them being unpure genetically or dishonored due to their families not wanting them), as the bottom rungs of Klingon society. At best, they'll rise in station due to the Cardassian invasion, and that's only if they're not horribly killed by Starfleet, the Cardassians, or the Dominion later on. Hurray for Worf, he's guaranteed they'll be cogs and servants for the rest of their lives.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

Regarding Geordi's comment about what Worf's eating. It really bugs me because logically the different races should have vastly different dietary needs and likes and he'd know that. It's one of those cases where writers forget that certain things should be mundane to inhabitants of a sci-fi universe.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Given how many alien species humans are able to interbreed with, it's not a stretch to assume their digestive systems are equally compatible, and any difference in foods eaten is cultural rather than biological necessity (has there ever been a case where one species's food was toxic to people of another species?)
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Until STD, where they gave Klingons two dicks because... male writers are male writers.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Whorf whinges when a boy uses a Klingon spear as a spade to dig the garden. That is a whiggly whoggly, a wharrior's wheapon. It is dishonourable to dig the garden. Later he goes to the Temple, above the altar is a battleth, so he whinges That is a battleth, a wharrior's wheapon. It is dishonourable to let it be rusty and dirty. The spear was useful so it was clean and sharp and for all its dishonour it worked to kill the antelope. Make up your mind Whorf.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.