Full Moon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Re: Full Moon

Post by SuccubusYuri »

jstrahan wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:04 am
SuccubusYuri wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:50 am the idea is you give someone dark chocolate on Valentine's, and if they like you back, on White Day they give you white chocolate.
Not exactly. Valentine's in Japan is when the girls give chocolate. White day is when the boys give chocolate. It can be white or dark chocolate for either day.
Ah right right, Japan is the girls>boys, China is the boys>girls, and Singapore is "What the fuck ever" xD

These are things lesbians never notice xD
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

My point being that the type of chocolate has nothing to do with the day.
kyuven
Redshirt

Post by kyuven »

jstrahan wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:04 am
SuccubusYuri wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:50 am the idea is you give someone dark chocolate on Valentine's, and if they like you back, on White Day they give you white chocolate.
Not exactly. Valentine's in Japan is when the girls give chocolate. White day is when the boys give chocolate. It can be white or dark chocolate for either day.
Not exactly not exactly.

Valentine's Day is when girls give guys chocolate. ANY chocolate, from dark to white to even a bag of M&Ms. White day is when guys "return the favor." Returning the favor can be anything from chocolate of various colors, to actual gifts. The latter is more common.
A common gag is a girl will give a guy 10 yen (10 cents, the cheapest chocolate you can buy) chocolate and expect something expensive in return. In one anime I remember this gag was used to dunk on a guy who was single on valentine's day: The only chocolate he got was given to him with the expectation of getting something from him.
The general idea is the girl gives a guy they like chocolate, and the guy takes the girl out on a date on white day. It's only called "White Day" because Japan's national colors are red (V-day) and white. White chocolate is just an easy gimmick gift for "Giri Choco" AKA "Obligation Chocolate" given to coworkers and such, so a lot of chocolate companies hedge their bets on it.

I only got 2 pieces of chocolate this year: One from one of my very young students, and one from one of my coworkers.
SuccubusYuri wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 am
Ah right right, Japan is the girls>boys, China is the boys>girls, and Singapore is "What the fuck ever" xD

These are things lesbians never notice xD
You'd be surprised. Girls give girls chocolate all the time here.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

kyuven wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:55 pm You'd be surprised. Girls give girls chocolate all the time here.
I just meant more towards it not occurring me to gender any roles.
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

Mhhm. *nods sagely*

Honestly? Speaking as someone who has never seen the show, never looked at the wiki page or anything, and whose only context is Chuck's reviews to base things on?

Eichi being dead doesn't surprise me even in the slightest. I have Suspicions, which involve certain death spirits and have had them for quite a loooong time. We shall, as they say, see if those suspicions are correct when the next review comes along.
kyuven
Redshirt

Post by kyuven »

Aotrs Commander wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:11 pm Mhhm. *nods sagely*

Honestly? Speaking as someone who has never seen the show, never looked at the wiki page or anything, and whose only context is Chuck's reviews to base things on?

Eichi being dead doesn't surprise me even in the slightest. I have Suspicions, which involve certain death spirits and have had them for quite a loooong time. We shall, as they say, see if those suspicions are correct when the next review comes along.
In context this revelation was really, really surprising.

See, Full Moon wo Sagashite wasn't some gritty dark drama. It was a regular girl's show aired at a time when they were saccharine as all hell. Sure it had some HINTS that adults might pick up on, but...

To us, this isn't THAT surprising since it has a huge caveat to it: It wouldn't have been brought up for review by Chuck if there wasn't something more to the series than just being standard shoujo anime fare. So our audience is immediately suspicious of it.

But for the original audience, as well as people back when it came out that would just binge any anime they could get their hands on, the revelation was HUGE. I remember numerous threads back on the old Animesuki forums where Full Moon's final arc was consistently considered one of the most depressing/saddest arcs in any anime at the time.

Cuz everyone who watched it expected Eichi to be alive

Oh and here's something fun! See, like pretty much every anime back then (and today, though Light Novels are edging in on it), Full Moon was based on a manga. Naturally, some things changed. The more episodic and goofy atmosphere is more from the anime than the manga, and the pacing of the latter is a bit faster.

But the biggest change, and something I can ONLY reveal now...beware this is probably even MORE depressing...

In the manga, Eichi was also dead (it's a big theme of the series, so of course it would be the same) but unlike the anime, Mitsuki already knew. three guesses why THAT nugget got changed.
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

kyuven wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:01 pmIn context this revelation was really, really surprising.

See, Full Moon wo Sagashite wasn't some gritty dark drama. It was a regular girl's show aired at a time when they were saccharine as all hell. Sure it had some HINTS that adults might pick up on, but...

To us, this isn't THAT surprising since it has a huge caveat to it: It wouldn't have been brought up for review by Chuck if there wasn't something more to the series than just being standard shoujo anime fare. So our audience is immediately suspicious of it.
Actually, I'm fairly sure I would have suspected anyway - maybe I've just been trained to be too analytical after a decade of watching Funny Internet reviewers on top of nearly 30 years now of DMing, I have quite a lot of skill in Guess Plot (which is why I'm always delighted when something does surprise me) and am naturally just cynical. (So even if I didn't think that is was anything more than... I dunno, Glitterforce[1], I probably would have thought it just as an off-hand, black-humour joke and been considerably more amused when I was right in the end. Because I am a terrible, terrible person.)

(I wouldn't have been, for the record, hugely surprised if he was alive, either, though; I do tend to hedge my guesses a bit.)

We shall see, though, whether my other suspicious are correct. (Not elaborating, just in case of accidently and inadvertent spoilers for anyone else!)

[1]I am having something of an eduction, at the moment, since UK children's telly (wot I has on while cleaning the front room) is so blah at the moment I turned to UK Netflix in desparation to try and find something adequate. I lucked out immediately, and after my local forum got pumped for recommendations from the list, the results have been... mixed. The high point has been Seven Deadly Sins, Saiki K (first season anyway, since I either watch anime as background while cleaning the room, or if it Too Good for that, while having supper, which for pratical reasons disqualifies subs, peasant that I am) and Steins;Gate; Glitterforce is pretty much in the perfect vein for Cleaning the Room Telly, but probably only because half the cast is Off Of Naruto...
Ikiry0
Officer

Post by Ikiry0 »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:20 am The episode ended a bit more upbeat than I thought it would.
What on earth were you expecting? Little Matchstick Girl?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Ikiry0 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:22 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:20 am The episode ended a bit more upbeat than I thought it would.
What on earth were you expecting? Little Matchstick Girl?
That she'd get there and find that Eichi had never really loved her, and was just trying to be nice to her. I know, if there were a Nobel prize in pessimism... With the actual ending, though, at least she knew someone could love her.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Ow... My Feels...