Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:06 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:31 pm Sounds like it is saying that redemption is not a one and done thing, but a journey with steps forward and steps back. That some people, if given the chance, will make it and others won't but you still have to give them the shot anyway. That nobody is irredeemable but it can take multiple second chances, and it is worth giving those.

I think that is a very valuable message. It says the quick and easy punitive mindset is flawed and fallible, and that we need to get more into a long term rehabilitative mindset. I can back that message. Not everybody will make it, but everybody is given the chance to. That is a good thing, nobody ought to be written off.
but the show does write off some villains, even a child was sent to Tartarus for eternity and later turned to stone and another villain was flat out killed..twice. but villains who are either war criminals or terrorists, don't even get a slap on the wrist. those are stuff you can't just be let off the hook for. like when Linkara reviewed that Superman Christmas comic book with the villains who got off scott free for the attempted murder and kidnapping just because "I'm sure there's good in them" and "it's the Christmas spirit to forgive your foes".

and if Discord keeps backsliding in practically every single appearance he makes, why shouldn't some authority over him put their foot down eventually? in real life, if you commit a crime again after being released from jail, you go back to jail and yes, Equestria does have a justice system like our own as I've already explained.

and this is more just a kid character not getting punished by his authority figure like he should but it a related problem, I realize I wasn't clear enough about Gallus the Griffon for those who haven't seen the episode.

in "The Hearth's Warming Club", someone trashes the decorations at the School of Friendship and if none of the students fess up, they will all at the school and not be allowed to go home for the holidays. it turns out, Gallus masterminded this whole thing so he could spend time with his friends yet not caring about ruining their holidays. and then he gives a sob story about how he doesn't have a family, despite still having a legal guardian and only cares about his friends fighting because it hurts him. yet, the episode treats that last bit as him fully understanding friendship and not needing to stay behind to take extra lessons, it causes the other students to say "screw our families" and stay at the school to throw Gallus a pity party and has Twilight, Gallus' principal, to invite him to her holiday party and her home. Gallus was rewarded for selfishness and vandalism.
Sometimes tv show and movies don't realize their horrible messages.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:06 pm and if Discord keeps backsliding in practically every single appearance he makes
Stuff like that very often gets on my nerves. It comes down to the execution, but so frequently it just feels lazy.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:52 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:06 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:31 pm Sounds like it is saying that redemption is not a one and done thing, but a journey with steps forward and steps back. That some people, if given the chance, will make it and others won't but you still have to give them the shot anyway. That nobody is irredeemable but it can take multiple second chances, and it is worth giving those.

I think that is a very valuable message. It says the quick and easy punitive mindset is flawed and fallible, and that we need to get more into a long term rehabilitative mindset. I can back that message. Not everybody will make it, but everybody is given the chance to. That is a good thing, nobody ought to be written off.
but the show does write off some villains, even a child was sent to Tartarus for eternity and later turned to stone and another villain was flat out killed..twice. but villains who are either war criminals or terrorists, don't even get a slap on the wrist. those are stuff you can't just be let off the hook for. like when Linkara reviewed that Superman Christmas comic book with the villains who got off scott free for the attempted murder and kidnapping just because "I'm sure there's good in them" and "it's the Christmas spirit to forgive your foes".

and if Discord keeps backsliding in practically every single appearance he makes, why shouldn't some authority over him put their foot down eventually? in real life, if you commit a crime again after being released from jail, you go back to jail and yes, Equestria does have a justice system like our own as I've already explained.

and this is more just a kid character not getting punished by his authority figure like he should but it a related problem, I realize I wasn't clear enough about Gallus the Griffon for those who haven't seen the episode.

in "The Hearth's Warming Club", someone trashes the decorations at the School of Friendship and if none of the students fess up, they will all at the school and not be allowed to go home for the holidays. it turns out, Gallus masterminded this whole thing so he could spend time with his friends yet not caring about ruining their holidays. and then he gives a sob story about how he doesn't have a family, despite still having a legal guardian and only cares about his friends fighting because it hurts him. yet, the episode treats that last bit as him fully understanding friendship and not needing to stay behind to take extra lessons, it causes the other students to say "screw our families" and stay at the school to throw Gallus a pity party and has Twilight, Gallus' principal, to invite him to her holiday party and her home. Gallus was rewarded for selfishness and vandalism.
Sometimes tv show and movies don't realize their horrible messages.
but as a TV show that is meant to teach messages, isn't that a bad thing? also, it sometimes seem like I am the only one who sees these problems, is it me and not the show?

like some think that Tempest Shadow's redemption works because she almost sacrificed herself to defeat the other villain but it doesn't work. I grew up watching Dragon Ball Z and it informed my moral philosophy. one moment, I can compare to the moment with Tempest from the MLP movie is the fallowing. when Vegeta from DBZ was about to kamikaze Majin Buu, he was told in no uncertain terms that he'd still go to Hell because one good deed does not make up for his past villainy.

and again, some on the other side of the argument have said to just imagine punishments happening off screen but from what I see, that is impossible to imagine based on dialogue and the fact that reformed villains aren't in prison or even mention having been but got out early for good behavior or something.

and I just can't believe absolutely everyone in the universe has completely forgiven these former villains and no one still hates them or holds a grudge. I'm not asking for them to be chased by lynch mobs but something more then just ONE reformed villain getting dirty looks but the ones giving dirty looks still go to see her magic show.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Being turned to stone is not forever. The show is pretty clear on that. It is a magical timeout.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:55 pm Being turned to stone is not forever. The show is pretty clear on that. It is a magical timeout.
no, Discord was meant to be in stone forever at first, the seal was broken the first time he got out and they intentionally un-stoned him the second time. and this is besides my points. and if turning to stone is so easily undone if it's intended to be, why not stone Discord for the crap he did in season 9?

and this is getting to be a problem in other kids shows too. I still am able to watch this one but in The Lion Guard, the main character, Kion, messed up constantly early on, to the point of even jeopardizing the Pridelands which, he is supposed to be tasked with protecting and Simba should have stepped in to stop this from being a recurring problem instead of waiting till after the twelfth time Kion almost doomed the Pridelands for him to lean his own lesson.

and in Steven Universe, the Diamonds are let off the hook after the good guys convince them to stop terrorizing the universe but no war crimes tribunal for them or anything like that.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

It meant to entertain not preach.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

You say problem, I say feature. We're teaching the next generation not to be as revenge happy as the current one. That can only be a good thing.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:14 pm You say problem, I say feature. We're teaching the next generation not to be as revenge happy as the current one. That can only be a good thing.
Fair point. Since people do have a happen of relating to the villains.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:14 pm You say problem, I say feature. We're teaching the next generation not to be as revenge happy as the current one. That can only be a good thing.
so, if Hitler was still alive, you'd be okay with just letting him walk?
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:14 pm It meant to entertain not preach.
no, it was meant to preach, pretty much all TV-Y ratted shows are designed to teach morals.