Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by CrypticMirror »

clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:33 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:37 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:44 pm As I have said before, Star Trek was designed to be ''the hopeful show''. Criminals in this universe can rehabilitate - they can start evil and then better themselves. And if the actual character execution of the Empress (I refuse to call her an emperor) was different from day 1 then maybe we could have had that. But I posit that the moment you introduce a crime as outrageous as cannibalism is the moment that you have just made a character redemption arc very hard to swallow.
I don't like Discovery, but in Star Trek we've seen the redemption of Space Goebbels and Space Himmler over on DS9, and came so very close to redeeming Space Hitler, not to mention Space Female Osama Bin Laden, plus they've given us Heroic Attila the Hun too. So, pretty much anybody can be redeemed if the writing is good enough. Do I think the writing will be good enough on Discovery? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......
Oh, quite true. What also does not help is that ''the hopeful show'' has become just as nihilistic as any other science fiction show - life will not get better, rather that warfare, inequality and corruption will continue to last for centuries.
That is sadly true. Star Trek is supposed to show us there is another way, not to glory in the faults of our current world. It needs to be less "real" not more.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

and other thing I wish we would get in family media is the message of Linkara's storyline last Christmas: "Forgiveness is earned, it's worked for".
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:49 pm again, this seems to be getting off topic.

also, wile forgiveness is a good message to send to kids "forgive and forget" is ah absolutely toxic message to send to kids.
Going to have to disagree with you there.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

so, crim
Admiral X wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:52 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:49 pm again, this seems to be getting off topic.

also, wile forgiveness is a good message to send to kids "forgive and forget" is ah absolutely toxic message to send to kids.
Going to have to disagree with you there.
so, criminals should never be put in jail?

also, out of curiousity, I watched a Christmas episode of another kids show and read up on the rest of the show, where the main antagonist never gets in actual trouble with any authority figures. and I mean never. that show being Blaze and the Monster Machines. sure, Crusher gets humiliated a lot but never gets disqualified or called out for cheating in an actual race with rules and stuff, from what I read.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Ah, hyperbole...
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:08 am and other thing I wish we would get in family media is the message of Linkara's storyline last Christmas: "Forgiveness is earned, it's worked for".
And this is why cases like Sasuke Uchiha and Starlight Shimmer annoy me. They are forgiven just like that without them having to earn it.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:52 amso, criminals should never be put in jail?
If there are better ways to deal with them and their antisocial behaviour, then yes, they shouldn't be put into jail.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:38 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:52 amso, criminals should never be put in jail?
If there are better ways to deal with them and their antisocial behaviour, then yes, they shouldn't be put into jail.
even terrorists and war criminals? even in places like Norway, criminals still loose their freedom. and in these kids shows, I just can't believe that absolutely everyone in the universe forgives these wrongdoers. where are the ponies who still hate Discord, for example?

since I hate the Karma Houdini trope so much but the shows I watch insist on using it, how am I supposed to enjoy anything anymore?
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:05 pm , how am I supposed to enjoy anything anymore?
...........oh, so tempting.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

CrypticMirror wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:43 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:05 pm , how am I supposed to enjoy anything anymore?
...........oh, so tempting.
what did I do to make you act like a dick to me? anyway, someone else said that MLP leaves it impossible to imagine realistic consequences happening off screen, so, what am I supposed to do?