Picard - Maps and Legends

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Picard - Maps and Legends

Post by CrypticMirror »

clearspira wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:30 pm
Link8909 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:57 pm
GreyICE wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:14 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am
GreyICE wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:33 am Are we surprised Starfleet security is bad? This is the Federation whose flagship’s computer was once hacked by ordinary kids.

I’m pretty sure starfleet security is the keystone cops. If anything could justify section 31’s existence it’s the idea that we can’t possibly leave security to those bozos, even in utopia.
Honestly, what do you expect?
Do I need to remind you of the Wolf 359 desaster, that was as desatrous as it was, because the captains of the fleets ship were not smart enough, to let at least their family members leave the ship on the next available, friendly class M planet.

As a captain, I would've said "Okay, guys and girls, we're about to meet a race, that apparently assimilated our good Jean Luc. Families, you get off that ship at once."
Do we know they didn't? Sisko's wife was a Starfleet officer so she had reason to be on the ship.

I'm seriously asking because I don't remember one way or another. It'd be pretty stupid if they did leave civilians on board. Especially after going on with the entire separating the saucer section to show they thought about exactly that problem when the show started.
I had a look and from what I can gather Jennifer Sisko was not in Starfleet, so yeah, they did bring civilians into a combat zone, but this is definitely an issue of that time in Star Trek, with peace between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, the Romulan Star Empire in hiding and the conflict with the Cardassian Union resolved, space never felt more safe than ever and people felt the Federation and Starfleet was indestructible, until Wolf 359, that was a harsh lesson for Starfleet to learn.
As Chuck said, Wolf 359 was to the Federation what 9/11 was to post-Cold War America. Man, I remember the 1990s. And whilst i fully agree with what our fellow poster Kami once pointed out about how shitty certain parts of Europe were in the wake of 1989, in Britain and the US things seemed so bright. Good films, good TV, everyone was getting richer and more equal, and our enemies seemed vanquished. In those days, as stupid as it seems now, I can see why the Enterprise became a flying mall tbh.

I'll tell you this much, if you told me in 2000 what 2020 would look like I wouldn't have believed you.
I grew up then too, and I can see why it would still make sense today. The key is not to give into fear and hate, or desire domination over others. The actions of several countries, including my own, after 2001 really has been despicable and done more to create the climate of insecurity and fear than any amount of terrorists ever did. Stupid is what I consider to be the current paradigm to be, and we should be doing better. A lot better.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Going through changes now means being unstable, I guess. Democracies never have civil wars or internal conflicts. Just ignore the news. Beep bop boop. :lol: :lol: :lol:
planescaped
Redshirt

Post by planescaped »

I find the new Star Treks so mind-numbing and unpleasant that I can't even watch Chuck's reviews of them...
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

planescaped wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 pm I find the new Star Treks so mind-numbing and unpleasant that I can't even watch Chuck's reviews of them...
Yeah other than the Janeway bit Chuck seem to be struggling finding something to say in Piccard.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Link8909 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:57 pm
GreyICE wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:14 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am
GreyICE wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:33 am Are we surprised Starfleet security is bad? This is the Federation whose flagship’s computer was once hacked by ordinary kids.

I’m pretty sure starfleet security is the keystone cops. If anything could justify section 31’s existence it’s the idea that we can’t possibly leave security to those bozos, even in utopia.
Honestly, what do you expect?
Do I need to remind you of the Wolf 359 desaster, that was as desatrous as it was, because the captains of the fleets ship were not smart enough, to let at least their family members leave the ship on the next available, friendly class M planet.

As a captain, I would've said "Okay, guys and girls, we're about to meet a race, that apparently assimilated our good Jean Luc. Families, you get off that ship at once."
Do we know they didn't? Sisko's wife was a Starfleet officer so she had reason to be on the ship.

I'm seriously asking because I don't remember one way or another. It'd be pretty stupid if they did leave civilians on board. Especially after going on with the entire separating the saucer section to show they thought about exactly that problem when the show started.
I had a look and from what I can gather Jennifer Sisko was not in Starfleet, so yeah, they did bring civilians into a combat zone, but this is definitely an issue of that time in Star Trek, with peace between the Federation and the Klingon Empire, the Romulan Star Empire in hiding and the conflict with the Cardassian Union resolved, space never felt more safe than ever and people felt the Federation and Starfleet was indestructible, until Wolf 359, that was a harsh lesson for Starfleet to learn.
As Chuck said, Wolf 359 was to the Federation what 9/11 was to post-Cold War America. Man, I remember the 1990s. And whilst i fully agree with what our fellow poster Kami once pointed out about how shitty certain parts of Europe were in the wake of 1989, in Britain and the US things seemed so bright. Good films, good TV, everyone was getting richer and more equal, and our enemies seemed vanquished. In those days, as stupid as it seems now, I can see why the Enterprise became a flying mall tbh.

I'll tell you this much, if you told me in 2000 what 2020 would look like I wouldn't have believed you.
I was 6, when the wall came down and don't remember that much about it. I remember David Hasselhoff in his jacket, I remember, instinctively knowing that the thing, I was seeing on TV was of the utmost importance for us, and I remember, that we didn't talk about this that much on couple of days later. I remember, we went outside and learned how to get the four cardinal directions in order - that's about it.
And if someone had approached me back in '89, and would've said "Kid, enjoy the next 12 years of relative peace and prosperity, this will change relatively fast and will turn really dark soon", I wouldn't believed that person, either.

But that was it, eh? The years from 90 to 2000 were our relatively "golden" times, right? And then it turned darker and darker. 9/11, second gulf-war, the war on terror, Brexit, refugee-crisis, the massive re-emergance of right-wing-stuff, I thought, would've died at least 37 years before I was born - although there were Neonazis in Germany, but I hoped, that they were just some assholes, and that the rest of the world would be smarter, not buying into the Nazi-bullshit.

But no - apparently the US are not better than that, which can be seen by President Trump saying "there are very fine people on both sides" - no, if you're supporting the Nazi-Ideology or the ideology of the Ku-Klux-Klan you're by definition not "very fine people", but a frakking asshole!
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:37 am
planescaped wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:11 pm I find the new Star Treks so mind-numbing and unpleasant that I can't even watch Chuck's reviews of them...
Yeah other than the Janeway bit Chuck seem to be struggling finding something to say in Piccard.
It does have serious pacing issues, especially early on.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

But having reached 2020 there's no dystopian vision of the future that doesn't sound at all implausible, many of them portrayed as positive visions and "progress" (a word that I increasingly often spit when I say it - some people grumble about those who look backwards, but I do look back longingly to a time when progress was a positive).
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I suppose that makes the Dominion War into the War on Terror.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:33 am

I suppose that makes the Dominion War into the War on Terror.
I would guess that it's more speculative based on America's developing intervention in the middle east.

I remember one of the earliest issues was the Clinton administration having a political fiasco in how it recognized the tutsi/hutu massacres for matters of intervention.
..What mirror universe?
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

As Chuck said, Wolf 359 was to the Federation what 9/11 was to post-Cold War America. Man
Very, very delayed reaction.
Wolf 359 was barely an inconvenience. Riker rescued Picard, Picard played in the mud with the brother and was totally cured for 50 years, PIC 1/05 spoilers.

9/11 led to a big deal in real life, 359 barely changed anything. Especially the airline industry cashed in on the planoroia and banned shampoo to this very day.

359 had consequences in DS9, Sisko lost people he loved and designed the Defiant class warship. A sensible response to the threat, a thing we never saw in RL from 9/11.

9/11 led to evil and stupid bureaucracy immediately. 359 only led to evil and stupid bureaucracy in Voyager and Enterprise.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.