TOS - Who Mourns for Adonais?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: TOS - Who Mourns for Adonais?

Post by CharlesPhipps »

+1 Vampire: The Masquerade point.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

JL_Stinger wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:18 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 pm Y'know, i'm an atheist, but the Greek gods are by far the most believable gods I have ever read about. You tell me which is more believable: that humans were invented by an all-loving, all-forgiving creature of mercy and peace; or that humans were invented by a bunch of vain serial rapists, paedophiles, murderers, thieves and slavers? I'll give you a hint: turn on the evening news.
The Greek gods are simultaneous the most believable - because they're basically just humans with superpowers - but also the ones least worthy of worship. If we were to discover definite proof that Zeus and crew were real and still existed, our next order of business should be figuring out how to wipe them out because they're a menace to the universe.

How does that old saying go? "Any god you can perceive is not a god. If you meet a god, kill him."
Who is that quote from? I have to say it comes from a pretty Abrahamic-centric view of religion.

Also, speaking as somebody who worships a couple of Greek gods, a lot of the rape myths are more cultural motifs than canonical theology. It's like somebody 900 years from now learning about American Christianity from netflix archives of Supernatural and Lucifer. In particular, a huge amount of the "Greek gods, and Zeus in particular, were total dickheads" comes from the most well-known versions of myths coming from Ovid, who definitely had an ax to grind.

That said, even going by the nastier myths of the time, the ones I'm following have no attributed rapes. That's the nice thing about polytheism; it offers choices.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Christianity looks at humans as a collective. Resorting to our baser instincts is the peril of any modernist religion. With the more polytheistic religions order tends to heed to them in favor of human divinities like passion and courage.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Bwuh?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:02 pm
JL_Stinger wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:18 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 pm Y'know, i'm an atheist, but the Greek gods are by far the most believable gods I have ever read about. You tell me which is more believable: that humans were invented by an all-loving, all-forgiving creature of mercy and peace; or that humans were invented by a bunch of vain serial rapists, paedophiles, murderers, thieves and slavers? I'll give you a hint: turn on the evening news.
The Greek gods are simultaneous the most believable - because they're basically just humans with superpowers - but also the ones least worthy of worship. If we were to discover definite proof that Zeus and crew were real and still existed, our next order of business should be figuring out how to wipe them out because they're a menace to the universe.

How does that old saying go? "Any god you can perceive is not a god. If you meet a god, kill him."
Who is that quote from? I have to say it comes from a pretty Abrahamic-centric view of religion.
I'm pretty sure it's a garbled Buddhist thing: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:13 pm Christianity looks at humans as a collective. Resorting to our baser instincts is the peril of any modernist religion. With the more polytheistic religions order tends to heed to them in favor of human divinities like passion and courage.
I should point out the majority of Greek Gods are very clear that courage against them is extremely ill-advised. You are to react with submission, cowering, and bowing. There is literally a word for being courageous against the gods and it is akin to pedophile for the Ancient Greeks: hubris.

DEMIGODS can be courageous but not humans.

Because it's an Olympian's world, my friend.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Hubris isn't quite the same as courage. It's more like Chutzpah, or the cosmological equivalent of "Hold my beer while I try this".
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It's more the general field of dualities that serve as breaking points for survival and prosperity.

Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:41 am Hubris isn't quite the same as courage. It's more like Chutzpah, or the cosmological equivalent of "Hold my beer while I try this".
Eh, it really is "You are stupid and should feel awful for this."

Nowadays people think challenging the gods is good.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:13 pm Christianity looks at humans as a collective
I am the Lord thy God. You will be assimilated.