Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Riedquat »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:37 pm again, I'm not saying I firmly think this happened but if we are going to go down this line of thought, maybe Earth is a failed colony, that's why aliens aren't really around anymore.

and I meant the part of colonialism about "educating" the "primitives" and not really any other part of colonialism.
You need convincing evidence for, not, as has been pointed out above, a "god of the gaps" approach. To accept it as even a passing possibility you've got to lower your plausibility threshold to such a level that every con-man in the world would be lining up at your door.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Riedquat wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:26 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:37 pm again, I'm not saying I firmly think this happened but if we are going to go down this line of thought, maybe Earth is a failed colony, that's why aliens aren't really around anymore.

and I meant the part of colonialism about "educating" the "primitives" and not really any other part of colonialism.
You need convincing evidence for, not, as has been pointed out above, a "god of the gaps" approach. To accept it as even a passing possibility you've got to lower your plausibility threshold to such a level that every con-man in the world would be lining up at your door.
I also feel the whole aliens made our world wonders things to be a stupidity cynical world view. Basically it boil down to 'humans can't do amazing things' abd that thr biggest lie I ever saw.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

About the best Ancient Aliens story I've come across is Quatermass and the Pit where the legacy of the alien influence isn't something grand or impressive like monuments, but rather simple and sadly horrific.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

God, alien visitation, ghosts, Bigfoot, Nessie, magic, etc. All of this crap hinges on very little actual evidence and often no evidence at all. And often, its even worse than nothing, with ''faith'' or ''heresy'' or ''let me fill in the gaps of science with whatever fairy story most appeals to me'' taking its place.

As far as I am concerned, the only ''truth'' to any of these claims is Occams Razor: the simplest answer to there being no evidence for your claim is that it is not real.
Ixthos
Officer

Post by Ixthos »

clearspira wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:58 pm Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

[...]

As far as I am concerned, the only ''truth'' to any of these claims is Occams Razor: the simplest answer to there being no evidence for your claim is that it is not real.
As a Christian, I fully agree with this sentiment. Beliefs MUST be based on evidence. Indeed, one of the requirements in the times of Ancient Israel was, if someone claimed to be a prophet and what they prophesied didn't come true, they were to be killed for trying to deceive the people. Occam's Razor is a very useful tool.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

well, if we are going to entertain the ancient alien theory, the only ones who could answer why the aliens did what they did are the aliens. I know that's a huge problem to move forward but it could also be that we just forgot how to use certain technology or techniques. but that sounds a bit silly also, we just forgot revolutionary construction methods?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Yeah, that shit happened all the damn time in pre-literate societies.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

J!! wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:53 pm Yeah, that shit happened all the damn time in pre-literate societies.
again, I still accept that possibility but the Egyptians had a form of writing that we know how to translate.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Yes, and because of that, we have extensive knowledge about how they did things.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

J!! wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:37 pm Yes, and because of that, we have extensive knowledge about how they did things.
yet we still can't recreate the morter they used to build the pyramids or their precise stellar alignments.