Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Robovski
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Robovski »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:16 pm
J!! wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:37 pm Yes, and because of that, we have extensive knowledge about how they did things.
yet we still can't recreate the morter they used to build the pyramids or their precise stellar alignments.
But again this is a matter of technique, not a matter of it's impossible or incredibly unlikely. I refer you to my previous statement.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

J!! wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:37 pm Yes, and because of that, we have extensive knowledge about how they did things.
yet we still can't recreate the morter they used to build the pyramids or their precise stellar alignments.
Can't? Or just not exactly sure how they did it, which is a long way from saying it's very strange that they could; gaps in what we know of the past are common enough, what with sparse documentation from the time and what we can learn (and estimate) through archeology. Is it any different from not being able to recreate music from times and places before musical notation was developed?
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Riedquat wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:04 am
Can't? Or just not exactly sure how they did it, which is a long way from saying it's very strange that they could; gaps in what we know of the past are common enough, what with sparse documentation from the time and what we can learn (and estimate) through archeology. Is it any different from not being able to recreate music from times and places before musical notation was developed?
again, not that I am saying aliens defiantly did it but us not knowing all the details of how they did it is my point.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:02 pm
again, not that I am saying aliens defiantly did it but us not knowing all the details of how they did it is my point.
My point is that us not knowing all the details doesn't lend any credibility to ideas like aliens. Just means we're missing a piece of a jigsaw that's almost certainly going to be fairly mundane.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I do feel the aliens made the world wonder is the modern day version od Aryans made the world wonders.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

I disagree with Mr. Chuck's assessment on Captain Sheridan in A Day in the Strife. Was it foolhardy? Yes. But it was meant to demonstrate to the agitator as well as to the crowd that he's full of hot air. All talk. After his predecessor got them everything they'd wanted for their illegal strike, no less, instead of just letting security nab them. And Commander Sinclair was meant to be Captain Sheridan all the way through. Sometimes a bit of alpha-male posturing is needed. Plus I refuse to accept they would have followed Delenn as easily. Look to The Summoning. Her attempts to rally the terrified crowd don't work as easily.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

to go back to a point I made before, why can't I say that the supernatural in general or religion in particular are rooted in science that is just currently unknown to us but perfectly understandable to the "supernatural" beings?

also, no all belief is religious or even spiritual, it is valid to say you believe in science because outside of math and logic, nothing in science is an absolute certainty. there is no such thing as proof in science, that's the point.
bz316
Redshirt

Post by bz316 »

Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm I disagree with Mr. Chuck's assessment on Captain Sheridan in A Day in the Strife. Was it foolhardy? Yes. But it was meant to demonstrate to the agitator as well as to the crowd that he's full of hot air. All talk. After his predecessor got them everything they'd wanted for their illegal strike, no less, instead of just letting security nab them. And Commander Sinclair was meant to be Captain Sheridan all the way through. Sometimes a bit of alpha-male posturing is needed. Plus I refuse to accept they would have followed Delenn as easily. Look to The Summoning. Her attempts to rally the terrified crowd don't work as easily.
What do you mean Sinclair got them what they wanted? Sinclair's problem was with the Dock Workers. Sheridan was dealing with freighter captains who utilized the docking facilities. Those are entirely different groups of people.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

bz316 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:38 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 pm I disagree with Mr. Chuck's assessment on Captain Sheridan in A Day in the Strife. Was it foolhardy? Yes. But it was meant to demonstrate to the agitator as well as to the crowd that he's full of hot air. All talk. After his predecessor got them everything they'd wanted for their illegal strike, no less, instead of just letting security nab them. And Commander Sinclair was meant to be Captain Sheridan all the way through. Sometimes a bit of alpha-male posturing is needed. Plus I refuse to accept they would have followed Delenn as easily. Look to The Summoning. Her attempts to rally the terrified crowd don't work as easily.
What do you mean Sinclair got them what they wanted? Sinclair's problem was with the Dock Workers. Sheridan was dealing with freighter captains who utilized the docking facilities. Those are entirely different groups of people.
Do you really think he would have just given the dockers a raise and no one else? And 1.3 million is a lot of money, I'd assume. Though Mr. JMS has said it's comparable to the British pound, so... feel free to Britpick.
bz316
Redshirt

Post by bz316 »

Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:54 pm
bz316 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:38 am
Do you really think he would have just given the dockers a raise and no one else? And 1.3 million is a lot of money, I'd assume. Though Mr. JMS has said it's comparable to the British pound, so... feel free to Britpick.
Freighter captains and crews are not employees of Babylon 5. They don't get paid by Babylon 5. They are just people who pay to use the station's docking facilities. I'm not nitpicking anything here. You are basically confusing a guy who goes to a gas station to refuel his car for a guy who works at said gas station.