ENT: Two Days and Two Nights

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

ENT: Two Days and Two Nights

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Last edited by SuccubusYuri on Sat May 05, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Re: ENT: Two Days and Two Nights

Post by SuccubusYuri »

I have a big fucking question for the alien who came to RISA and knows enough English or, whatever language the TV was universal translating for us, and never learned the word "kiss". You're on Risa. What is this? I call bullshit. I call bullshit and hollywood-romantic on that man!

That's really all I've got for now, there just isn't enough....to....*yawn*
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

First off, congrats in bringing back the pre-video joke! I really miss them tbh. It must be five years at least since you last included one, although I do understand why. I'm guessing that once you stopped the ''welcome to the stupidity that is...'' line, the pre-video joke lost much of its reason to exist.

You also raised a fantastic point about how the rules of Risa seemed to have changed. It has gone from ''flash a statue and get accosted by every passing woman in seconds'' to ''no different to Earth''. The argument i'm sure is going to be a cultural change in the next two centuries, but my problem with that is why even set the episode on Risa if you could set it anywhere and have it be exactly the same? And moreover, why did the writers leave T'Pol on the ship. Come off it, this is Enterprise, the show that strips her down to her undies at every opportunity. And she doesn't get a risque scene on the planet of sex?

And as for the sexual harassment point, oh, boy! is that an interesting topic. Because we all laughed (or chuckled, or cringed) when Picard was the unwilling victim of all of those women thanks to Riker. But I'm betting that no one in the audience was outraged or offended. I wonder what the reaction would be if Archer had told Hoshi to get hold of one of those statues for him and suddenly she had all of these guys begging for sex with her? In 2001 that would have been dodgy, but today it would have one of those TVTropes Values Dissonance tags attached to it.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

The shame of it is, this is such a lost opportunity. There are only a few plots you can do at a vacation place in a show like this. Adventure, which we sort of saw in Captain's Holiday. The Beach episode, but that has to be wacky enough to be worth the trip, and murder mystery.

The set up is all right there, too. Archer enjoying a nice Villa with a telescope, sees an attractive neighbor who is worried about Suliban, and who has a nefarious background. All that was needed was for a Rear Window style murder, and you can make it intriguing.

Is the Captain overreacting and just needing to relax, is he being framed by Keyla, or were the Suliban really after her, with her fears falling on deaf ears until it was too late?

If you actually do kill off Keyla, then we see some development with the Suliban. If not, and she's just framing Archer to try and get rid of a meddlesome Starfleet captain, we have a new recurring villain for our heroes to deal with.

But nope, she's never heard from or spoken of again.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

I raised an eyebrow when Chuck said that Risa is "a nice place to visit".

In reality, throughout the history of Star Trek, Risa seems synonymous with getting kidnapped, drugged, brainwashed or worse. It's more like a nice place to gamble with your life. Friggin' Cardassia is probably a safer place to vacation.
HypperChicken500
Redshirt

Post by HypperChicken500 »

How many times did Chuck mistakenly refer to the lead actor as 'Blackula' in this review? I heard it twice. Much more fun than the episode itself was.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

FaxModem1 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:19 pm The set up is all right there, too. Archer enjoying a nice Villa with a telescope, sees an attractive neighbor who is worried about Suliban, and who has a nefarious background. All that was needed was for a Rear Window style murder, and you can make it intriguing.

But nope, she's never heard from or spoken of again.
The setting certainly lends itself to a costume drama mystery. Of course, for a mystery plot to work correctly, you also need to have someone who is competent at figuring things out somewhere in the cast.

Detained was already kind of a sideways wedge into the supposed "continuity" of Enterprise, so calling back to it in this way is also getting fairly far into the weeds. Not surprised they just sort of dropped this concept of yet another frenemy species, though it may have made just a smidge of sense to bump into a Tandaran ship somewhere in the Expanse.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

Everything about this episode is dull-even the aesthetics of Risa feel uninspired and beige.(And it wasn't like the aesthetics of Risa were amazing in the TNG era.)

I also feel like this episode could had worked....if you tweak one or two things. Remove the Archer nonsense.(Maybe he and T'Pol stay on the ship.) And make Reed and Tucker plot the focus and make it more of wild night than well what does happen. Hell have Hoshi and Mayweather tag along and I don't know do anything but what the episode ends up doing.

I try not to pick on Enterprise too much because it has its fans and I've seen worse TV but it does say something when I would have more entraining time cleaning my desk than re-watching this episode.
Mad-Man-with-a-Box
Redshirt

Post by Mad-Man-with-a-Box »

Was anyone else thrown off by the Archer's Lady Friend's spots? I thought she was like supposed to be a Trill till Chuck got to the end to reveal where she was really from. The whole review I was thinking, "wonder why Chuck hasn't joked about them not painting her spots on all the way?"
All of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever was...where do you want to start? -The Doctor
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

King of the owls wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:17 pm Everything about this episode is dull-even the aesthetics of Risa feel uninspired and beige.(And it wasn't like the aesthetics of Risa were amazing in the TNG era.)

I also feel like this episode could had worked....if you tweak one or two things. Remove the Archer nonsense.(Maybe he and T'Pol stay on the ship.) And make Reed and Tucker plot the focus and make it more of wild night than well what does happen. Hell have Hoshi and Mayweather tag along and I don't know do anything but what the episode ends up doing.

I try not to pick on Enterprise too much because it has its fans and I've seen worse TV but it does say something when I would have more entraining time cleaning my desk than re-watching this episode.
I used to pick on Voyager, then Enterprise came out. I used to pick on Enterprise, then the Abrams reboot came out. I used to pick on the Abrams reboot, then Discovery came out. I don't complain as much anymore because Trek keeps on setting new lows for me.
Do I have rose-tinted glasses? Oh, absolutely. My mind blocks out season three of TOS, season one of TNG and season seven of DS9. But when they were at their best, they were levels of awesome that the other series just did not achieve. Put it this way: non-Trek fans know ''City on the Edge of Forever.'' They know ''The Best of Both Worlds'' if only because of First Contact. They know ''there are only four lights''. But I guarantee you that the most famous aspect for non-fans beyond TNG is Seven of Nine's boobs.
Last edited by clearspira on Sat May 05, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.