DS9: Heart of Stone

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

DS9: Heart of Stone

Post by Yukaphile »

Discuss!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Meushell
Officer

Re: DS9: Heart of Stone

Post by Meushell »

I agree with SF Debris on this one. When I watch this episode, I skip the Odo/Kira stuff and just watch the Nog plot.

I did like Odo/Kira once they became a couple, but I didn’t like any of the build up.

As for Nog, I like that they sort of switched expectations with him and Jake. In joining Starfleet, Nog seemed to become more important to the show than Jake ever was. Though I have to admit the “I don’t wanna end up like my father“ bit is pretty funny now that we know what becomes of Rom.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Meushell wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:26 pm I agree with SF Debris on this one. When I watch this episode, I skip the Odo/Kira stuff and just watch the Nog plot.

I did like Odo/Kira once they became a couple, but I didn’t like any of the build up.

As for Nog, I like that they sort of switched expectations with him and Jake. In joining Starfleet, Nog seemed to become more important to the show than Jake ever was. Though I have to admit the “I don’t wanna end up like my father“ bit is pretty funny now that we know what becomes of Rom.
What becomes of Rom is an assassination attempt. This is a guy who lives in a patriarchy so extreme that women are not allowed to wear clothes, oo-mox (read: handjobs) can be stated to be mandatory in employment contracts, and their transporters have a "remove her clothes option", giving women 24th century rights. And this is going to go down well, is it?
And even if, miraculously, Rom manages to make that stick, the fact is that he is an imbecile when it comes to business. And at the end of the day, the Nagus is the head of a society that is based on the worst that capitalism has to offer. If a phaser doesn't end up doing Rom in, then you can bet that Brunt or someone like Brunt is going to be watching like a hawk.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

When... when did this turn into a discussion on Feminism or sexism? :O

I do believe the Ferengi were in the process of massive reforms by the time Rom came to power.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Meushell wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:26 pm As for Nog, I like that they sort of switched expectations with him and Jake. In joining Starfleet, Nog seemed to become more important to the show than Jake ever was. Though I have to admit the “I don’t wanna end up like my father“ bit is pretty funny now that we know what becomes of Rom.
I like that Rom follows this up by taking inspiration from his son in his own way. It's also an unusual message (probably especially so in Ferengi culture) but works well for the show's themes.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

The first time I watched this I remember thinking to myself: "can Odo become one of those diving masks with an air tube poking out the top?"
Because there doesn't seem to be any constriction of her chest here. It seems what is going to kill her is the crystal going over her nose.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:18 pm When... when did this turn into a discussion on Feminism or sexism? :O

I do believe the Ferengi were in the process of massive reforms by the time Rom came to power.
I'm not discussing anything. The previous comment thought that Nog not wanting to be like his father when Rom would end up becoming the most powerful Ferengi alive to be funny, and I stated my belief that his reign is going to end swiftly if we were to apply more logic to the situation than the writers felt like using. No mention of feminism here, that's your interpretation of my comment.

And what sweeping reforms? I seem to remember Zek "trying" to bring in reforms, with the end result being "ACTING Grand Nagus Brunt".
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Zek was put back in power, so that women could wear clothes, leave the home, and take jobs. Plus the Ferengi were starting to tax things near the end of DS9.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:40 pm Zek was put back in power, so that women could wear clothes, leave the home, and take jobs. Plus the Ferengi were starting to tax things near the end of DS9.
1) He was put back in power by female Quark flashing his boobs at the equivalent of a Fortune 500 executive, so I would hardly call that a good example of massive societal change of how Ferengi men view women.

2) More importantly, I don't see how that proves anything as this happens right at the end of the series. We don't see the fallout that comes from this. If you know anything about the pursuit of women's rights in places like India or the Middle East, then you should also know that the men just lying down and accepting this is stupid frankly. And that doesn't even get into the 1000% sexual harassment rise that would come from clothed females walking the streets (which is the equivalent of a woman in the real world walking outside in a bra with nipple tassels) when we are dealing with people who are quite happy to oo-mox themselves in public as we have seen many times.

Rom is finished. Nog has nothing to fear about being the most successful member of this particular family.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:40 pm Zek was put back in power, so that women could wear clothes, leave the home, and take jobs. Plus the Ferengi were starting to tax things near the end of DS9.
Yeah, and for a while the US seemed to be going sane, now you have orange swamp thing in charge.