The X-Files: Humbug

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BigGator5
Redshirt

Post by BigGator5 »

I choose this episode (a long time ago) because this is my favorite episode of the entire series. It's a diamond that is often over looked and I'm happy to no end that Chuck gets this episode too.

Thanks Chuck, you've made my Halloween. :D
"There are worse things out there, than reptiles." -BigGator5
Wargriffin
Captain

Re: The X-Files: Humbug

Post by Wargriffin »

I'm sorry when the Unholy fusion of Jesse The Body Ventura and The Undertaker and His special mystery partner tells you you didn't see ANYTHING

YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING

20/10

Would watch again
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Two of these are my two favorite "X-Files".

Haven't seen every episode, but "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" and "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" are gonna be hard to dethrone by anything from season's 8-11... aside from "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" that is in my top 5. But from what I have heard there isn't anything in the episodes I haven't seen that is going to measure up.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I am now realizing that this is for Humbug specifically "Humbug" which is a great episode.
I especially like the interactions between Mulder and the little guy. Mulder fucking with him with gay panic was kind of awesome.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I like Hungry a lot too, but the three Darin Morgan episodes here are simply brilliant. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and Jose Chung's From Outer Space in particular. That the risk of sounding elitist, the writing almost feels too good for tv, or at least what tv has been historically. One of the very best traits of The X-Files is the way it allows for writers to retain their voice and make a real individual imprint on the series. Morgan wrote with a lot of intelligence, humor, creativity, and pathos. He maintains that quality in his two season ten and season eleven episodes as well, and those are definitely the standouts of those seasons.

Clyde Bruckman is my favorite of the series. Which isn't to take anything away from Jose Chung or other greats, but it's one of the only Morgan episodes that functions both as a Darin Morgan episode and as a classic within the typical X-Files formula.

Maybe not the thread for it, but a thought just occurred to me- Darin Morgan does for The X-Files what Rian Johnson tried to do for Star Wars. He approaches the show with a critical eye toward its convenient plot points and silliness, its approach to its main characters, and the overall philosophy of the show. Heck, "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" questions the heart of the show's premise. The difference is that Morgan's "deconstruction" is something that fans can embrace because of the flexible nature of the show.
The owls are not what they seem.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Jose Chung's From Outer Space fits nicely into my own head-canon that Mulder is just insane, and we're only seeing what he thinks is happening, as the testimony of the diner worker shows that he's just some crazy guy who wandered in, acted oddly, ate some pie, and left, would explain away so much of the weird crap that seems to happen in X-Files with how Mulder is always right about what's going on, versus what really is going on.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:33 am

Maybe not the thread for it, but a thought just occurred to me- Darin Morgan does for The X-Files what Rian Johnson tried to do for Star Wars. He approaches the show with a critical eye toward its convenient plot points and silliness, its approach to its main characters, and the overall philosophy of the show. Heck, "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" questions the heart of the show's premise. The difference is that Morgan's "deconstruction" is something that fans can embrace because of the flexible nature of the show.

You're giving Rian too much credit, cause if I was being honest, He made a star wars movie for people who hate Star wars and wish the setting didn't have pre established rules so they can do what they want in it... similar to how BW is basically eating its own tail trying to keep TOR going

____

Back to X-files I think I always like the episodes that really play with the shows format... Hell one of my personal favorites is X-Cops
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I have conflicting feelings on the Darin Morgan episodes. On the one hand, they're fantastically written, and they brought a much needed sense of humor to the series. On the other hand, having learned a little bit about Darin Morgan, and noticing the elements that keep recurring across his episodes, they feel a little mean-spirited.

They're the creation of a man who had no interest in writing for a science fiction/fantasy program, so when he got roped into doing so by his brother, he penned scripts that attacked the very idea of fantasy and science fiction as a genre. While each of his episodes has the requisite paranormal element, they're extremely downplayed and are overshadowed by copious amounts of kitchsy, fake paranormal stuff, driving home the idea that all this monsters and aliens stuff is not real and pretty ridiculous. And any characters who are sincerely interested in the paranormal are portrayed as delusional or pathetic.

Basically, I get the sense that Darin Morgan is laughing at the fanbase rather than with them.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fianna wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:25 am I have conflicting feelings on the Darin Morgan episodes. On the one hand, they're fantastically written, and they brought a much needed sense of humor to the series. On the other hand, having learned a little bit about Darin Morgan, and noticing the elements that keep recurring across his episodes, they feel a little mean-spirited.

They're the creation of a man who had no interest in writing for a science fiction/fantasy program, so when he got roped into doing so by his brother, he penned scripts that attacked the very idea of fantasy and science fiction as a genre. While each of his episodes has the requisite paranormal element, they're extremely downplayed and are overshadowed by copious amounts of kitchsy, fake paranormal stuff, driving home the idea that all this monsters and aliens stuff is not real and pretty ridiculous. And any characters who are sincerely interested in the paranormal are portrayed as delusional or pathetic.

Basically, I get the sense that Darin Morgan is laughing at the fanbase rather than with them.
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/1/24/ ... morgan-q-a

This article and others is more about Darin likes playing with the idea of your sense of reality breaking down.

Darin has stated he's actually more interested in the fact that the X-Files, for him is about the fact Mulder and Scully are more equal than the series tended to write. Mulder wants to believe but Darin believes it's more interesting if he's not any more right than Scully and the two are on a journey of questioning reality. So, he's attempting to balance Mulder existing in a world of the supernatural by pointing out just because there IS weirdness going on, it's not necessarily the weirdness HE believes it is.

So Mulder needs Scully because he actually is often chasing windmills.

It's just not an angle any other writer plays with.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Yeah I don't think Darin has the utter contempt some people who subvert genre's do it with.