Any areas you passionately agree with Chuck on?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Any areas you passionately agree with Chuck on?

Post by Yukaphile »

For me, it's whenever he brings up his view on the LGBT community, and reminds me he just sees them as ordinary people, and doesn't judge, and thinks people should be with whoever they love. Things like "Profit and Lace" and "Suddenly Human" or "Battlefield Earth" and "The Outcast" are shining examples of this. Of course, being with who you should love won't exclude him from snarking or taking on a gay or bi or trans person who is an asshole. AS IT SHOULD BE. LOL.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Meushell
Officer

Re: Any areas you passionately agree with Chuck on?

Post by Meushell »

The sexism in Code of Honor. In the past, I only saw people focus on the racism with such hatred, that it seemed like they completely missed the sexism. Seeing both acknowledged was satisfying.
turbo_sailor67
Officer

Post by turbo_sailor67 »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:29 am For me, it's whenever he brings up his view on the LGBT community, and reminds me he just sees them as ordinary people, and doesn't judge, and thinks people should be with whoever they love. Things like "Profit and Lace" and "Suddenly Human" or "Battlefield Earth" and "The Outcast" are shining examples of this. Of course, being with who you should love won't exclude him from snarking or taking on a gay or bi or trans person who is an asshole. AS IT SHOULD BE. LOL.
Wait wait wait... there was an LGBT moment in "Battlefield Earth"? That was before the whole Travolta massaji thing yes?
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Prime Directive rants. PD = kill them all for their own good.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

He got horrified over how there was a book written where a man raped a pair of lesbians straight. Some sick people out there think that's all you need to do. They just need the touch of a "real man" to become straight.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Warrior-cast Minbari are insufferable.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

His break down on why Janeway is a broken archetype and comparing her to Sisko.
Sisko was written as the Commander. Being black was way down on the list for him.
Janeway was written as the Female captain, and balancing that with different writers dragged her all over the map.

Too many characters having faux skills as they are credited with being X genius or instructor. Like Chakotay being a tactical genius and instructor. Tuvok being an academy instructor. But neither being good at teaching. Like the writers had never had to give instructions to anyone so they understood tasks.

The differences on TOS prime directive and TNG prime directive and why one felt right and the other felt like an anal probe.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I agree. Janeway should have been a normal commanding officer, first and foremost, with the strengths and flaws that entails. But they also should have made episodes specifically dedicated to her being a woman, I'm not against that, like how Sisko had episodes about him being black - but that is only relevant, like with everything else, when it matters. I mean, being a woman, when Janeway screws around with someone, there is going to be more... controversy given lots of people think women shouldn't sleep around, because they can get pregnant, and that means abortions and birth control, which some think are instruments of the devil, and that thus women should be chaste and tie themselves to one man. I wouldn't mind seeing Trek tackle issues of those kind, if handled properly. Or hell, ditch all those and just make Janeway a lesbian. How awesome would that be? Alas, Rick's homophobia always got in the way... really wish Garak and Bashir had been a couple. Their flirting in "A Time to Stand" was downright indecent. I know he's cute, but jeez, control yourself, Garak! :lol:
nebagram
Officer

Post by nebagram »

The 'rural simplicity' Star Trek gets a hard-on for in Insurrection and episodes like 'Paradise'. Chuck rightly points out the fact that it'd involve back-breaking labour, poor sanitation and a reduced lifespan simply to be 'closer to nature'. I can't wait to see his reaction to the modern BSG finale.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I agree to what he talked about in "Sacred Ground." His objective breakdown of religion vs. science while adding a bit of humor was amazing in its groundbreaking intellectualism.