DIS: Vaulting Amition

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

DIS: Vaulting Amition

Post by SuccubusYuri »

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/c112.php

We all have different perspectives on Discovery's first season, but I think as fans of Chuck's show, we must all agree that this episode justifies its existence xD
Deledrius
Captain

Re: DIS: Vaulting Amition

Post by Deledrius »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:31 pm We all have different perspectives on Discovery's first season, but I think as fans of Chuck's show, we must all agree that this episode justifies its existence xD
Either that, or it's the episode where the curtain falls to reveal that nothing was holding it up all along. ;)

The reviews, OTOH, are as great as ever. :D
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Nothing can justify STD's existence.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

When he mentions about the 'mad rantings' in the show, I thought there's a lot of that in discussion around the show too!'

That bit about Janeway at the end floored me.
ragnarokornot
Redshirt

Post by ragnarokornot »

Right? DIS really irritated me but that bit at the end of the review makes the whole thing somehow worth it.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

I haven't been following Discovery, and these reviews make me feel vindicated since it looks nonsensical and poorly thought out. It appears as though they're trying to stuff too many big ideas into too small a space.
Hero_Of_Shadows
Officer

Post by Hero_Of_Shadows »

I, ... I think that bit at the end is the height of the Chakotay character for me, I don't care it's not canon nothing will ever top it.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:58 pm Nothing can justify STD's existence.
I dunno, having it exist for Chuck to tear into with such vigor not seen since the worst of Voyager I think is a pretty decent justification. Thats about the only one though.

More on topic, this seems like a point some viewers really said eff it. The spore driving letting you talk to the dead, cannibalism as if to show just how evil someone is, the Empress showing she went to the Amanda Waller school of dealing with underlings, and then that reveal. I think the show must have thought they were clever just like they thought they were clever with the Ash reveal. I think in both cases it fell flat, both out of universe with atleast some figuring out both and in universe because it helped destroy some interesting characters.

Lorca as a Starfleet captain who might fit better in the mirror universe was interesting, a captain more willing to do bad things even if for good reasons, someone more like Sisko sometimes. The fact he was just a evil alternate dimension space Nazi was stupid, as was the stupid "sensitive to light" thing. Why would they be more sensitive to light? If there was a reason for it like genetic modifications or something maybe but it seemed to imply it was a natural difference between humans of the different universes. And yet another thing that doesn't mesh with canon.

I get the feeling the writers of the show thought up a bunch of "cool" concepts and tossed them in with no care about the ramifications or even how they'd fit in the story like the altered Klingons, war crimes by Starfleet, the spore drive, the booty showing space suit, and the con artist guy being evil.
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

After watching this episode, I just have to ask, is the Mirror Universe's sensitivity to light backed up at all by established canon? It really feels like something the producers just pulled out of their ass.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

BlackoutCreature2 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:52 pm After watching this episode, I just have to ask, is the Mirror Universe's sensitivity to light backed up at all by established canon? It really feels like something the producers just pulled out of their ass.
I think, being generous, it's a tongue-in-cheek after-the-fact explanation why the mirror universe in the Berman-era, especially "In A Mirror Darkly", had low lighting and wore more dark colors. But no I don't think there's anything explicit. Perhaps in some Mirror novel, someone knows?

Though I will say it does give a new facet to the fact that the Agonizer booths glow.