Doctor Who: The Movie

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MerelyAFan
Officer

Doctor Who: The Movie

Post by MerelyAFan »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/doctorwho/smovie.php

The film that, if nothing else, led to some great work by Big Finish Productions.
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: Doctor Who: The Movie

Post by FaxModem1 »

It has my favorite TARDIS, one that I think the current series has bothered to approach in design since.
Trooper924
Redshirt

Post by Trooper924 »

While it's a crap way for Seven to go, I admit I think it's kind of a fitting death in an ironic way. The master strategist who had plans within plans, who often won even before his TARDIS landed, ends up dying because he made a stupid mistake and didn't check the TARDIS' scanner before stepping out.

Plus, I find the idea of the Doctor dying in such an ignoble fashion to be interesting. No big heroic sacrifice. No final speech. The Doctor dies because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and his last words is to beg the people trying to help him to stop before they kill him.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

They couldn't drop a bridge on him instead? I mean it's San Francisco, it's not like they've got a shortage of bridges.

This movie was my first significant exposure to Dr. Who; so the inconsistencies didn't bother me because I didn't know about them. Then again, I couldn't appreciate any nods toward the series, either.

I don't remember enjoying it particularly much, nor disliking it much, but it did pique my curiosity enough to watch Eccleston's Doctor. So it did its job to that extent.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Trooper924 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:03 pm While it's a crap way for Seven to go, I admit I think it's kind of a fitting death in an ironic way. The master strategist who had plans within plans, who often won even before his TARDIS landed, ends up dying because he made a stupid mistake and didn't check the TARDIS' scanner before stepping out.

Plus, I find the idea of the Doctor dying in such an ignoble fashion to be interesting. No big heroic sacrifice. No final speech. The Doctor dies because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and his last words is to beg the people trying to help him to stop before they kill him.
Is it a shitty way for him to die? Oh, yes.
But it does answer the question as to how long the Doctor would realistically survive in real life. ''I am the oncoming storm, I am the man that the Dalek Emperor himself is afraid of, I am...''
*machine gun fire*

Honestly the amount of times that he should have died because he didn't think things through or because his enemies should have just shot him are comical by this point.

As for the inglorious end, Six got it far worse than Seven. Banging his head on the Tardis control panel off-screen ffs...
Trooper924
Redshirt

Post by Trooper924 »

clearspira wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:03 pm
Trooper924 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:03 pm While it's a crap way for Seven to go, I admit I think it's kind of a fitting death in an ironic way. The master strategist who had plans within plans, who often won even before his TARDIS landed, ends up dying because he made a stupid mistake and didn't check the TARDIS' scanner before stepping out.

Is it a shitty way for him to die? Oh, yes.
But it does answer the question as to how long the Doctor would realistically survive in real life. ''I am the oncoming storm, I am the man that the Dalek Emperor himself is afraid of, I am...''
*machine gun fire*

Honestly the amount of times that he should have died because he didn't think things through or because his enemies should have just shot him are comical by this point.

As for the inglorious end, Six got it far worse than Seven. Banging his head on the Tardis control panel off-screen ffs...
At least with Six, later writers had the leeway to retcon it into something that was less crap (most recently seen with Big Finish's "The Last Adventure"). Can't really do that with Seven's death.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Between the Lost in Time and this choice picture of Michael Grade in the background video, I think we can safely say the man is Chuck's personal nemesis.
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

I remember when I got the DVD for this from Netflix and listened to the commentary track. It had both Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann on it. McGann sounded like he was hungover and would've rather have been any place else then right there watching the movie. McCoy on the other hand, despite only being in the movie to get shot and die, sounded like he loved it and completely carried the commentary, selling the movie like he had stock in it.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Once again, the "how I would have fixed this" segment is a compelling alternative that I wish we could have seen be the real thing.
Magnus Darcrider
Redshirt

Post by Magnus Darcrider »

Watching this reminded me of when the Master returned to the revived series. The associated episode of "Doctor Who Confidential" wanted to interview an ctor who had previously played the Master. Unfortunately, the only one who was still alive and recognisable was Eric Roberts.

You almost got the sense that the producers of "Confidential" were dreading this; Eric Roberts after all had sworn off ever doing television work again after the TV Movie, citing how bad the experience had been, and his portrayal of the Master isn't well respected. I like it; hammy as he was he conveyed the desperation and savagery that the character is capable of but is often forgotten about at first blush.

However, in the interview, he's great! He was charming, clearly understood the character, and had a clear idea in his mind on what was needed to play him. Now whether this had always been true or after a decade or so he'd had time to think about it, but it was still gratifying to see.