TOS: The Enemy Within

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

TOS: The Enemy Within

Post by Yukaphile »

Is anyone else looking forward to Chuck's epic calling out of the misogyny in hauling the attempted rape victim before the man accused of this? And Spock's comment to her? And the insensitive way the episode frames her as not wanting to make trouble for him, thus not caring about her own near sexual assault? Especially given Whitney's own real life experiences. I can't wait. I even literally bought some popcorn just for this occasion. Not joking. I went out to the store and bought some microwave popcorn, with extra butter. It will be GLORIOUS.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Re: TOS: The Enemy Within

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:42 am Is anyone else looking forward to Chuck's epic calling out of the misogyny in hauling the attempted rape victim before the man accused of this? And Spock's comment to her? And the insensitive way the episode frames her as not wanting to make trouble for him, thus not caring about her own near sexual assault? Especially given Whitney's own real life experiences. I can't wait. I even literally bought some popcorn just for this occasion. Not joking. I went out to the store and bought some microwave popcorn, with extra butter. It will be GLORIOUS.
You do have a strange addiction to this subject it does have to be said. Its one thing to want him to call out misogyny, fine, I have problems with the way it was handled too. But you seriously bought popcorn? That wasn't a joke?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Well... are there other people on this forum that centralize SF Debris reviews on misogyny and bigotry issues so heavily?
..What mirror universe?
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

I also miss the time when the Video Reviews forum was described as
This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released.
Getting a lot of threads where it's time to just preemptively chat about episodes when there's not even any review yet to discuss.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:55 amYou do have a strange addiction to this subject it does have to be said.
You only notice that now?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:18 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:55 amYou do have a strange addiction to this subject it does have to be said.
You only notice that now?
Yeah, he does seem to be pretty obsessed with that subject matter, frankly. One of the reasons I kind of wonder about him.

And frankly I really hope chuck never feels like he has to look at things through "the lens of social justice" or any of that bullshit. I just want Chuck to do as Chuck normally does.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The misogyny in "The Enemy Within" is atrocious and deserves to be called out. It's not about social justice, it's about what's right and wrong. Admiral X, how are you blind to the times he's called out Trek's misogyny before? And I'm not the first one to create a thread for the video in advance. I've seen others do it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:55 am
You do have a strange addiction to this subject it does have to be said. Its one thing to want him to call out misogyny, fine, I have problems with the way it was handled too. But you seriously bought popcorn? That wasn't a joke?
I went out and got some beers for the Flash Gordon review.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Considering what happend with Rand's actress in real life later on this episode is creepy in hindsight.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:36 am The misogyny in "The Enemy Within" is atrocious and deserves to be called out.
There was none.