VOY - Alice

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MerelyAFan
Officer

VOY - Alice

Post by MerelyAFan »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v926.php

I recall liking Claire Rankin in a few select episodes of Stargate Atlantis, but she didn't really wow me here. Then again its a Voyager guest spot, so even those most talented actors can only do so much inside the bland bubble.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: VOY - Alice

Post by clearspira »

Bit of a boring episode. I think there is probably a way to make it work, but as Chuck referenced with ''Carrie'', this was old hat even then.

I like the design of the ship itself. It reminds me somewhat of the Stargate Puddle Jumper.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

What a boring and generic middle of the road episode that was even for Voyager.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

It was all right. The two things that made it worth watching were Harry's quip that the ship should be named Alice if it's named after a girl who wouldn't give Tom the time of day, and Torres reaching out to help Tom and saving him from Alice.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Kinda bland but there was nothing particularly offensively bad about it, tbh. Really Voyager in a nutshell.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

You're right we needed more answers on Alice's origin otherwise we're just stuck asking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrfovOPcjk
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I keep mixing this episode up with Vis à Vis. I do like the very end, quoted below, but otherwise I found it unremarkable. That's not completely a bad thing -- I'll probably never forget "Threshold" -- but it's not exactly a selling point.
Tom Paris : From now on, I promise, no more affairs with strange ships.
B'Elanna Torres : What about the Delta Flyer?
Tom Paris : We're just friends.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Not much going on in the episode itself, but there's something about "I... are.. .brain?" that utterly got me, good show.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:40 pm I keep mixing this episode up with Vis à Vis. I do like the very end, quoted below, but otherwise I found it unremarkable. That's not completely a bad thing -- I'll probably never forget "Threshold" -- but it's not exactly a selling point.
Vis a Vis is another incredibly bland episode so I am not surprised, and I seem to remember the same ship prop in it but redressed? I may be wrong about that.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:40 pm I keep mixing this episode up with Vis à Vis. I do like the very end, quoted below, but otherwise I found it unremarkable. That's not completely a bad thing -- I'll probably never forget "Threshold" -- but it's not exactly a selling point.
Vis a Vis is another incredibly bland episode so I am not surprised, and I seem to remember the same ship prop in it but redressed? I may be wrong about that.
I think they're different, but I'm not sure. IIRC, when I heard "coaxial warp drive" my brain kind of went off into the wonderful kingdom of Treknobabblia trying to figure that out, and I only caught up with the episode a few minutes later.