DIS - Point of Light

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

DIS - Point of Light

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/c118.php

And as the dawn brings a new day, this video brings a new platform to view Chuck's videos through.

NOTE: Autoplay is curable in the setting of the video player_
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: DIS - Point of Light

Post by Thebestoftherest »

So what are y'all thoughts.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:56 pm So what are y'all thoughts.
My experience of the last few DIS reviews is that either almost no one will respond or most of the thread will be about something else. It seems to me that the general feeling of season 2 even among those that like the show is general apathy - nothing truly offensive to get the trigger juices flowing, nothing truly remarkable to get people going ''cool!''. Its just kind of there.

Is this an improvement over season 1? Obviously in some ways yes. However, there is a school of thought that says that ''average'' is the worst review that your work can receive. People will remember something that is truly great or truly rubbish their whole lives. But average? There is plenty of that.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Could do without the autoplay of random videos after the review is finished.

As to the review itself: Very good point about the cinematography. That's actually something I couldn't quite put my finger on before.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:18 pm Could do without the autoplay of random videos after the review is finished.

As to the review itself: Very good point about the cinematography. That's actually something I couldn't quite put my finger on before.
My videos keep on playing a video of Jeremy Corbyn afterwards. I come here to escape the election!
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I have no idea if it will save between visits, but you can turn off autoplay in the settings in the north east of the video hud.
Power laces... alright.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

So . . . the Klingon Emperor can just sign away their control of the Empire?

I mean, I can definitely buy that's how Ferengi rulership changes hands, but Klingons? Unless you're writing the signature in your own blood after the person you're giving it to dealt you a mortal stab wound in honorable combat, I don't see how that doesn't get you branded as the most dishonorable coward in Klingon history.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Fianna wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:44 pm So . . . the Klingon Emperor can just sign away their control of the Empire?

I mean, I can definitely buy that's how Ferengi rulership changes hands, but Klingons? Unless you're writing the signature in your own blood after the person you're giving it to dealt you a mortal stab wound in honorable combat, I don't see how that doesn't get you branded as the most dishonorable coward in Klingon history.
Doesn't the Duras scandal surround that very facet?
Power laces... alright.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

"On the next episode, things come to a head... " :shock:

I didn't know about technocranes, and if pressed would have probably guessed they were a new type of Maximal. Maybe a crane that transforms into a crane. It does remind me of the dutch angles I saw in Discovery earlier on. It might bother me less than a lot of people by virtue of I don't know a damn thing about film making, and video has to go full Battlefield: Earth before it really gets to me.

Putting a genocidal megalomaniac as a higher-up in charge of your semi-secret black ops organization might not be a wise move in the long run from a Watsonian perspective, I have to admit that I'm glad they found a way to still use the actor. Finding a way that also makes sense in-universe would have been nicer, and if she'd been morally ambiguous that might have been easier while making her a more interesting character, but half a loaf is better than none.

And I'm still glad I'm giving this show a pass. Political intrigue doesn't hold my interest for long. Not that there's anything wrong with it, or anything I really hated in the episode as far as I can tell, it just isn't for me.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:17 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:56 pm So what are y'all thoughts.
My experience of the last few DIS reviews is that either almost no one will respond or most of the thread will be about something else. It seems to me that the general feeling of season 2 even among those that like the show is general apathy - nothing truly offensive to get the trigger juices flowing, nothing truly remarkable to get people going ''cool!''. Its just kind of there.

Is this an improvement over season 1? Obviously in some ways yes. However, there is a school of thought that says that ''average'' is the worst review that your work can receive. People will remember something that is truly great or truly rubbish their whole lives. But average? There is plenty of that.
Season 2 continues Discovery's trend of taking everything I don't like in Trek and running with it. The problem really is, that I hate all the characters; they've all got a main trait that makes them just unwatchable. And not in the Neelix or Trip kind of unwatchable either, where you could at least love to hate them. They are not even interesting enough to properly hatewatch, they are just "what is on on the other channels" type of unwatchable. I've never been so unengaged in a live action Trek show. I've never felt so alienated and unwelcomed by a live action Trek show before either. I don't see how it can improve without a full hard reboot. Maybe if the show leapt forward a hundred or so years, to show the 25thC Discovery vessel, and its new crew. With sensibly named characters, well thought out species, and no -and I absolutely cannot stress this highly enough- no Girl!Wesley at all. And no Section 31, or Mirror Universe.