Carnage of Krell Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Carnage of Krell Review

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

[url]https://sfdebris.com/videos/animation/clonewars4e10.php[/url]

If there was one thing I had to criticize about this episode, it's that the way Krell starts the firefight between the Clones doesn't make sense. They get a distress signal and we see a Hologram of a Clone saying Umbarans had stolen the clone armor, so Krell sends Rex and co. out and they end up firing at the 212th boys...so what happened to those Umbarans? Krell manipulated this to happen, I guess he could have freed some of the prisoners offscreen, but what about that Clone in the hologram? Did he contact the 212th about it or not and did they get ambushed?

Still, it's a great episode and highly emotional and Krell is one hell of a bastard for using the Clones like that and betraying the entire Jedi Order for his own selfish gains. Seriously, Holdo and this guy would get along famously. He rules through fear (obviously the reason why none of the clones under his command previously never reported him to the other Jedi) and is one smug son of a bitch.

I'm kinda disappointed Chuck didn't bring up Waxer's death. I legit cried when I first saw that scene.

Fun Fact: Dave Fennoy (voice of Krell) also voiced Lando in one of the X-Wing games.

Also, according to Filoni, Palaptine was helped manipulate this whole thing; he knew what was really up with Krell and could pierce through his cloud of the Force to see the darkness within Krell and called Anakin back to test Krell. If Krell got away with this, then maybe he didn't need Anakin anymore, but if not, well no big loss. It also served to make some clones weary and suspicious of the Jedi, making them wonder why they didn't do anything about Krell before. Just another sequence in Palaptine's grand game.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: Carnage of Krell Review

Post by Nealithi »

There is one other story purpose for Dogma. Shown but not spoken of. Having Dogma gun down the helpless prisoner does not diminish the hero that is captain Rex. And Rex inability to shoot a helpless being in the back? Makes Rex all the more human. The clones are men, not droids indeed.

Edit: Corrected clone name.
Last edited by Nealithi on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Nealithi wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:50 pm There is one other story purpose for Hardcase. Shown but not spoken of. Having Hardcase gun down the helpless prisoner does not diminish the hero that is captain Rex. And Rex inability to shoot a helpless being in the back? Makes Rex all the more human. The clones are men, not droids indeed.
Dogma was the one who shot Krell, Hardcase was the one who sacrificed himself to destroy the ship.

It also shows the increasing mindless traits of new Clones, who would gun down the Jedi due to the chips and not think too hard about it afterwards.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:02 pm Dogma was the one who shot Krell, Hardcase was the one who sacrificed himself to destroy the ship.

It also shows the increasing mindless traits of new Clones, who would gun down the Jedi due to the chips and not think too hard about it afterwards.
Thank you for the correction.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

To be fair Krell had that coming since he was getting Clones killed stupid ways on purpose. Dogma basically did what had to be done when Rex couldn't get himself do it. Besides I disagree that Krell was helpless because he is dark jedi meaning that he still could had possibly found way to escape and cause harm.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:49 pm To be fair Krell had that coming since he was getting Clones killed stupid ways on purpose. Dogma basically did what had to be done when Rex couldn't get himself do it. Besides I disagree that Krell was helpless because he is dark jedi meaning that he still could had possibly found way to escape and cause harm.
Yeah, he wasn't helpless, he legit didn't think any of the Clones had it in them to kill him, or at least they wouldn't let Fives or anyone else who had the spine do it. He probably figured he could use the Force to escape one the time was right, but he didn't count on what effect the truth would have on Dogma. Asshole didn't see that coming.
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

This episode, and the moment the clones march on Krell, was supposed to be a prelude to Order 66. The first time a group of clones took up arms against the Jedi.

It also shows why the chips were an important part of Palpatines plan, and how horrible a monster he was. The bonds and attachments, the struggle to establish free will, to self actualize, it was all a cruel sick joke to him. In three words, he wiped it all out and reduced the clones mentality to that of droids.

I wonder if Chuck has seen the arc where Maul meets Death Watch, the season 5 finale arc, or the arc with Yoda and the whills, or the control chips story. All of them fantastic and right up there with this one.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

Krell was a traitor, in real life combat traitor are executed in times of war. True under the right circumstance sending him to the Jedi temple would have been optimal but these were not optimal conditions.

Another difference between Anakin and Krell was that even if Krell wasn't a traitor he treated the clones like things. Anakin would use their names whereas Krell would only use their designations.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

"I was once like you, Dogma."
"You're still like me."
"I can see how you would think that, but I have grown."
"No, I mean in that we are clones. We are still near identical."
"Okay... Yeah..."
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I do fine it interesting, he saw the end of the Jedi order. But didn't see how he lead to his own death by underestimating the men he betray.