Doctor Who: The Talons of Weng-Chiang

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BBally81
Officer

Doctor Who: The Talons of Weng-Chiang

Post by BBally81 »

A classic episode, that introduced us to two fan favorite one time companions who would later go on to have their own long running spin-off audio series by Big Finish but also had elements that several viewers find problematic.

[url]https://sfdebris.com/videos/doctorwho/s14e06.php[/url]

In reference to The Doctor's use of firearms, he also used a laser to destroy a couple of Orgons in "Day of The Daleks" and later used a Timelord weapon called De-mat Gun to erase a Sontaron leader from time in "The Invasion of Time".

What's amusing about the Charlie Chan films reference, mainland Chinese audiences at the time had less problem with the yellowface issue than Chinese American audiences, I remember reading somewhere that the films were so popular in China that one of the Western actors who played the character was invited to China and treated like a celebrity.
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: Doctor Who: The Talons of Weng-Chiang

Post by FaxModem1 »

The comments about the two versions of Watson reminds me of this comic from Hark, a Vagrant:

Becca
Redshirt

Post by Becca »

I cant believe there was no mention of this touching exchange- while George and Henry were locked up in episode 6:

Jago: That's my trouble Litefoot.

Litefoot: What?

Jago: Well, I'm not awfully...well, I'm not so bally brave, when it comes to it. I try to be, but I'm not.

Litefoot: When it comes to it, I don't suppose anybody is.

Jago: Well, I thought I ought to tell you anyway. In case I let the side down.

Litefoot: You won't Henry, I know you won't.

I still really miss having those two boxsets a year of Infernal Investigations😔

Despite the problematic start, (and it is- the slurs the characters say here still make me cringe inside) the Jago and Litefoot series was really something special- and its all thanks to the enthusiasm, fun, and chemistry of messers Christopher Benjamin and Trevor Baxter.

The banter they had in the stories was magical, and it only continued off microphone if the making of and interview CDs were anything to go by.

Nick Briggs even produced an interview CD "Benjamin and Baxter" where they told stories and anecdotes from their lives- Christopher dealing with poverty, and Trevor with being a gay man while homosexuality was still a crime.

Perhaps one day I'll rustle up enough money to ask for a review of a boxset, or one of the many specials that they were in while they were part of Big Finish.

"The Jago and Litefoot Revival" springs to mind as it was the last thing Trevor Baxter recorded before he passed away, and it has a rather wonderful summary of what the Doctor meant to Litefoot in its trailer for act 1:

"A man who arrives when you least expect him, and brings danger and adventure in his wake!

A man who fixes things.

A man who heals.

And above all, a man who can show each and every one of us how to be the very best version of ourselves."
Last edited by Becca on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rodan56
Officer

Post by Rodan56 »

I really appreciated the discussion about acknowledging the problems in the media we love without letting that completely disregard the art in question. I feel that's an important distinction to make. We can talk about problematic stuff in media, accept their flaws and use them to better educate ourselves. And even here, it can be a springboard to actually recontextualize a character.

Really enjoyed the video overall, nice to get back to the classic Doctor stories. Nothing against the new stuff, I just have a thing for older effects and classic TV.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

Thank you chuck for getting the old sherlock holmes radio show clips in this review as someone who kinda grew upon them it added a nice touch and a small reminder that holmes and watson fought the Narzis,if any of you on here want to see more track down the Rathbone film serials. secondly thank you for explaining the things that are and offensive in a way i could not, while making me want to see this ep even more!
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

FaxModem1 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:11 am The comments about the two versions of Watson reminds me of this comic from Hark, a Vagrant:

Nigel Bruce's Watson was a lot more comedic than canon Watson but to be honest Bruce's charisma still made that version tolerable. From what I remember Bruce Watson became a bit more competent on the radio series.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

In terms of javelin throwing in actual combat etc. I want to say that as depicted in things like the Iliad warriors would carry around multiple javelins to throw, but I am not completely sure.

In terms of the changing depiction of Watson I am reminded of that Hark A Vagrant comic but also this song Being Watson https://youtu.be/85JrUFveSc8

I remember watching this episode as a teenager I remember being engaged by it, though on reflection it has a lot of lurid and otherwise iffy looking stuff in it.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, aside from Doctor Who being a British product, is there a reason the Doctor favors the British isles so much, to the point of seeming to not get away from London for more than a few months is rare.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

FaxModem1 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:37 pm So, aside from Doctor Who being a British product, is there a reason the Doctor favors the British isles so much, to the point of seeming to not get away from London for more than a few months is rare.
I think it is a local show issue. American show will have the characters in the United States. I assume a similar show in Russia would be located mostly there.

Later Doctors have been in the US. From an under ground vault to NYC.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Classic Who episodes on Earth is mostly in the UK, much like most domestic programming around the world is set in the "home confines". I say mostly as I can think of examples set elsewhere, in particular with the 1st and 4th doctors. Hartnell's stories went around the world the most I think, as the initial remit did include exploring more of history than fiction. He has the only one I can recall where they went to China in the Marco Polo story, but that's one of the lost stories. Tom Baker's doctor a few years later than this story is set around Paris, possibly because John Nathan Turner wanted a vacation on the Beeb...