Discovery: Sound of Thunder

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Discovery: Sound of Thunder

Post by CrypticMirror »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/c121.php
  • Shut up, Moo-Cow.
  • Camerman, stop trying to give me motion sickness.
  • Writers, please remember that Section Thirty-One is not supposed to be a legitimate intelligence agency, that is Starfleet security's job, and is a rogue unsanctioned agency that recruits privately with no oversight and sets its own objectives without reference to the Federation in general.It is a "we know best" militia that just happens to recruit members of the military, who then go on to missapropriate public funds and materials for their private vendettas. Dressing Section Thirty One in black is nice and all, but really they ought to be wearing white bedsheets with eye holes in them.
I mean, sure the idea of a sapient species enslaved for livestock is abhorrent. You know, in theory. But it is the Kelpians, the species that exists to make Season One TNG's Ferengi, The Kazon, and even the goddamn Talaxians, look good by comparison. It is hard to feel bad for a species that, so far, has been without a single redeeming character or trait. I just do not care about these people, at best, and at worst... Well, at worst it is "Shut up, Moo-Cow". I know that a lot of people say that every Trek has a rough couple of first seasons before improving, but at least in the other series I saw them recognise that and trying to improve, even Enterprise, but Discovery seems to be doubling down on everything that was irritating about season one.

I appreciate, as Chuck says, that at least it isn't about Burnham. But it is about Officer Moo-Cow, and the previous episode was about girl-Wesley. That isn't an improvement. Those are the three weakest characters on the damn show. Switching out one for the other will not win me over. If anything Officer Moo-Cow is even more irritating that the character whose very name treads on the edges of my PTSD, and that is an achievement in and of itself. The strongest characters in the series so far have been the Defence Against the Dark Arts Captains. I would have happily watched, or at least grudgingly warmed to, a series focuses on Lorca or Pike Mk3.
Last edited by CrypticMirror on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Discovery: Sound of Thunder

Post by Darth Wedgius »

The title is an interesting one, and I wonder if this was supposed to be a hint that their actions would have wider-reaching implications.

Ray Bradbury wrote a short story called "A Sound of Thunder" which was a classic kill-a-butterfly-in-the-past, change-the-future type story. The STD story wasn't about time travel, of course, but the theme of unintended consequences in complex situations might relate.

And I might be being way too generous.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

The STD story wasn't about time travel, of course
Or was it?
bobbrom
Redshirt

Post by bobbrom »

Camerman, stop trying to give me motion sickness.
Has anyone ever thought of doing a Star Trek Discovery tribute video to this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fianna wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:05 pm
The STD story wasn't about time travel, of course
Or was it?
You mean they might find out that they killed the Federation doing this? I didn't think of that. :shock: The title would be nice foreshadowing if that's true!
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm The title is an interesting one, and I wonder if this was supposed to be a hint that their actions would have wider-reaching implications.

Ray Bradbury wrote a short story called "A Sound of Thunder" which was a classic kill-a-butterfly-in-the-past, change-the-future type story. The STD story wasn't about time travel, of course, but the theme of unintended consequences in complex situations might relate.

A Sound of Thunder is the "kill-a-butterfly-in-the-past, change-the-future type story." I believe the title refers precisely to the intervention of the Red Angel at the end of the episode. We learn in that episode that the Red Angel is a time traveller, or at least it is implied it could be. The title suggests that the Red Angel is purposefully acting to change the future. And we learn later on that she was.

I've found this episode interesting in many ways. The Ba'ul have all the trappings of villains and some more: black, slimy, raspy voice, bellicose and they even eat people. Or so the Kelpians believe. It's not like kelpian meat is sold openly in the markets. But in the other hand, we learn that they were pushed to the brink of extinction by the Kelpians. So in a way, they indeed instored a balance on Kaminar. A balance severely tilted on their side, but a balance nonetheless. The Kelpians were allowed to live their lives but were culled before they reached the vahar'ai and became a threat to the Ba'ul. Now that the balance has been broken, I wonder what will be the repercussions for Kaminar and maybe the galaxy. I hope we learn about it in Season 3. It could be a great story arc for Saru.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Actarus wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:21 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm I wonder what will be the repercussions for Kaminar and maybe the galaxy. I hope we learn about it in Season 3. It could be a great story arc for Saru.
Since we never saw them again after the Discovery-contact era, we can safely assume that they took the Cheron approach to interspecies relations. And too good fer 'em, I say. Either that or the Ba'ul decided to say Phlox it, as soon as they saw what was happening.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm The title is an interesting one, and I wonder if this was supposed to be a hint that their actions would have wider-reaching implications.

A Sound of Thunder is the "kill-a-butterfly-in-the-past, change-the-future type story." I believe the title refers precisely to the intervention of the Red Angel at the end of the episode. We learn in that episode that the Red Angel is a time traveller, or at least it is implied it could be. The title suggests that the Red Angel is purposefully acting to change the future. And we learn later on that she was.

I've found this episode interesting in many ways. The Ba'ul have all the trappings of villains and some more: black, slimy, raspy voice, bellicose and they even eat people. Or so the Kelpians believe. It's not like kelpian meat is sold openly in the markets. But in the other hand, we learn that they were pushed to the brink of extinction by the Kelpians. So in a way, they indeed instored a balance on Kaminar. A balance severely tilted on their side, but a balance nonetheless. The Kelpians were allowed to live their lives but were culled before they reached the vahar'ai and became a threat to the Ba'ul. Now that the balance has been broken, I wonder what will be the repercussions for Kaminar and maybe the galaxy. I hope we learn about it in Season 3. It could be a great story arc for Saru.
So they really were being clever with that title. Thank you!
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:33 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm I wonder what will be the repercussions for Kaminar and maybe the galaxy. I hope we learn about it in Season 3. It could be a great story arc for Saru.
Since we never saw them again after the Discovery-contact era, we can safely assume that they took the Cheron approach to interspecies relations. And too good fer 'em, I say. Either that or the Ba'ul decided to say Phlox it, as soon as they saw what was happening.
We never saw the Denobulans after Enterprise-era (for obvious reasons). That does not mean the Denobulans suddenly got isolationistic. I would like to see one in Picard though.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Actarus wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:45 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:33 pm
We never saw the Denobulans after Enterprise-era (for obvious reasons). That does not mean the Denobulans suddenly got isolationistic.
Wiped out by the Breen?