DIS - The Red Angel

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mabus
Captain

DIS - The Red Angel

Post by Mabus »

Season 2 feels like fanfic.
AkatsukiLeader13
Redshirt

Re: DIS - The Red Angel

Post by AkatsukiLeader13 »

Don't worry. It's only just begun to fanfic!
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I hate STD, but I must admit, season 2 is less actively offensive to me as a viewer than season 1, if only because it abandons the toxic nationalism and violence fetishism for a kind of incoherent insanity that hares blindly from idea to idea without any sense or care.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 pm I hate STD, but I must admit, season 2 is less actively offensive to me as a viewer than season 1, if only because it abandons the toxic nationalism and violence fetishism for a kind of incoherent insanity that hares blindly from idea to idea without any sense or care.
Can you be more specific?
Power laces... alright.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

I honestly think STD would have been alot better if it was more of an ensemble show rather then the Micheal Burnham show. Micheal........ well she just isn't interesting. Not because of the actress or anything, just a boring character with nothing interesting about her that the show tries to imply is interesting and the universe (possibly literally) revolves around her. Ash is interesting. Robot girl is (was) interesting. Stamets and Culber are interesting. Pinkie Pie is interesting. Saru is interesting despite being a cow. Heck even the genocidal monster, the Empress not Archer, was interesting. Micheal just isn't.

Of course I probably need to eat those words considering even interesting characters in Nu-Trek kinda suck. Plenty of interesting character in Picard who I just didn't give a flying frack about because I personally thought the writing sucked so bad I swore they were trying to reboot TNG season 1.

Goes to show how frelled my priorities are, there are 3 ST series on "tv" and I'm more interesting in the parody slash homage just like how there was a whole new Star Wars trilogy and I was far more excited (and enjoyed) a series based on the most wanked out fan loved character since Wolverine.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I like Michael but I feel like someone badly misjudged what sort of character she is. She's interesting but she's interesting when she's playing off other more emotive characters like Tilly, Lorca, and even Saru to an extent. She's the Spock and Spock is great but Spock requires Kirk and McCoy to play off of.

Making her SPACE JESUS in Season 2 doesn't help and I think it's the same problem that will exist in Season 3.

Just...let us enjoy the fucking show. You don't need to sell her to us, we're already watching.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

This is honestly the episode where I just gave up on Michael. I liked her when the show started, then slowly had to try to like her. This was the episode where I waved the white flag. I thought her funeral speech was crap because it didn’t actually feel like it was about Airiam. Then she turns out to be the red angel, and then her mom shows up. It felt like the show was trying to make me sick of her.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Post by stellar_coyote »

So I don't know if anyone realized this, but Michael is VERY important. The episode subtly implies it but I thought everyone should know just how important she is.
Also I don't think the characters properly conveyed how important she is.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I have to say I really liked the episode's (and previous episode's) handling of Airiam. Yes, she was only a background character but they really managed to get some good drama out of the alien that possesses her (AI or no) as well as the fact she preferred to be dead rather than used as a weapon.

The thing is, I *LIKE* Discovery. I like it a lot.

* The Klingon Tomb Ship
* Captain Georgiou
* "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad."
* The pacifist tree people
* Saru's homeworld plot and the Ba'al
* The Religious Planet
* The Monks of Borath

Cool shit. It's also a bigger part of Discovery than most people give it credit because there's only 20 episodes.

It's just that friend you love hanging around with but has that ONE flaw like the fact they ALWAYS drink to the point they're vomiting up everywhere and you can't stop them. You know it's gonna happen and it's the price for hanging out. It's a great night that is going to end badly because they can never get over that thing or stop.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:57 am I have to say I really liked the episode's (and previous episode's) handling of Airiam. Yes, she was only a background character but they really managed to get some good drama out of the alien that possesses her (AI or no) as well as the fact she preferred to be dead rather than used as a weapon.

The thing is, I *LIKE* Discovery. I like it a lot.

* The Klingon Tomb Ship
* Captain Georgiou
* "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad."
* The pacifist tree people
* Saru's homeworld plot and the Ba'al
* The Religious Planet
* The Monks of Borath

Cool shit. It's also a bigger part of Discovery than most people give it credit because there's only 20 episodes.

It's just that friend you love hanging around with but has that ONE flaw like the fact they ALWAYS drink to the point they're vomiting up everywhere and you can't stop them. You know it's gonna happen and it's the price for hanging out. It's a great night that is going to end badly because they can never get over that thing or stop.
I see was you mean, for me there is a lot more good than bad in Star Trek Discovery, which you're listed and agree with, and even then the bad parts aren't as bad a say episodes like "Unexpected" or "Code of Honor" or "Profit and Lace", really offensive and terrible, the issues with Discovery are more pet peeves for me, like are we really doing the A.I wanting to destroy all life thing, or can we please give Michael Burnham a break from carrying the series.

I like that Airiam sacrifice and her death was given attention to, unlike Commander Landry from last season, and while her backstory was introduced in the episode she died in, unlike Landry at least we did get some for Airiam, and I also agree that they got some good drama from her.

I also agree with Chuck on his comparison of Burnham to Clara Oswald and your early assessment on her, the issues isn't really the characters themselves, it's that the writers feel the need to sell us them by making them THE most important person, it was the same with Archer in Enterprise, he was so important that he would be instrumental in founding the Federation, was the greatest explorer ever, and even Time Travellers were lining up to protect or assassinate him, even though nobody had heard of him before, the difference however is that unlike Michael or Clara who are shown to be very capable, everything we see of Archer is contrary or what we are told about him.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard