SGA: Allies-No Man's Land-Misbegotten

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Jonathan101
Captain

SGA: Allies-No Man's Land-Misbegotten

Post by Jonathan101 »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/atls2e20.php
drewder
Officer

Re: SGA: Allies-No Man's Land-Misbegotten

Post by drewder »

Our guys are the good guys, we can't have them killing the evil vampires in cold blood. Rather we should have them experiment on prisoners of war. That's much more ethical.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Atlantis pulls the ''oh noes Sheppard is dead, oh no wait he is just cloaked'' bit far too many times.

I kind of think this is the sort of situation you need Janeway for (In particular, the one from Tuvix) as this is a situation that definitely requires someone to unfeelingly fire a photon torpedo at this camp for the greater good. Maybe even PTSD Archer from season 3 would get along well here too.

See, I get the arguments. The moment these wraith took the cure, they become innocent human beings with rights. I get it. BUT, two things are also true 1) the cure has a time limit. You will ALWAYS have to continue to dose them in order for them not to try and eat you. 2) Woolsey was absolutely correct: there is no conceivable point in which anyone would ever trust these people enough to allow them to enter general society. They are doomed to this camp forever. And that is not living, that is surviving. Which shows like The Walking Dead and Battlestar Galactica went to great lengths to try and show why the latter is a horrible thing to endure long term.

I put it to you that not only is it the safe thing to do to wipe out the human wraith, but the moral thing to do.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Hmm interesting, I am just glad I can watch it on my YouTube account.
bz316
Redshirt

Post by bz316 »

One thing that always confused me about the Wraith was why they didn't bother just cloning humans to feed on? I mean, it's confirmed in later episodes that they have the technology and facilities for cloning on a massive scale (it was instrumental in their war with the Ancients). Seriously, even if they're super into this "most dangerous game" bullshit, they're in the middle of a civil war caused by low food supplies. Wouldn't this basically solve all their problems at once?
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

bz316 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:48 pm One thing that always confused me about the Wraith was why they didn't bother just cloning humans to feed on? I mean, it's confirmed in later episodes that they have the technology and facilities for cloning on a massive scale (it was instrumental in their war with the Ancients). Seriously, even if they're super into this "most dangerous game" bullshit, they're in the middle of a civil war caused by low food supplies. Wouldn't this basically solve all their problems at once?
There's a lot of stuff in Atlantis that doesn't make much sense when you think about it. Especially when it comes to the wraith. Like how did the wraith multiply in such numbers under the ancients' nose that their sheer numbers overwhelmed the ancient's massive tech advantage. Especially since the first wraith were a result of splicing with the iratus bug. Like how many people keep falling victims to those bugs? What did the bugs eat before the ancients seeded human life in Pegasus?

How did the wraith develop their tech and where to they make their ships (the ships are partly organic but not fully, we never see wraith shipyards or or the like? Did the ancients never notice the navy they were building??)

Not why the wraith, despite their natural affinity for biotech, have never turned that science towards alternative feeding sources.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Ghilz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:12 am
bz316 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:48 pm One thing that always confused me about the Wraith was why they didn't bother just cloning humans to feed on? I mean, it's confirmed in later episodes that they have the technology and facilities for cloning on a massive scale (it was instrumental in their war with the Ancients). Seriously, even if they're super into this "most dangerous game" bullshit, they're in the middle of a civil war caused by low food supplies. Wouldn't this basically solve all their problems at once?
There's a lot of stuff in Atlantis that doesn't make much sense when you think about it. Especially when it comes to the wraith. Like how did the wraith multiply in such numbers under the ancients' nose that their sheer numbers overwhelmed the ancient's massive tech advantage. Especially since the first wraith were a result of splicing with the iratus bug. Like how many people keep falling victims to those bugs? What did the bugs eat before the ancients seeded human life in Pegasus?

How did the wraith develop their tech and where to they make their ships (the ships are partly organic but not fully, we never see wraith shipyards or or the like? Did the ancients never notice the navy they were building??)

Not why the wraith, despite their natural affinity for biotech, have never turned that science towards alternative feeding sources.
I think that's twofold.

1) The Ancients have consistently proved themselves to be spectacularly arrogant. I would imagine they literally did not care until a couple of planets fell.

2) It regards to the massive tech advantage that the Ancients have, I ask this: do they? Don't get me wrong, I know they are written to, but I have always been rather dubious of how high it actually is. When a Borg Cube cruises through your system you really do get the impression of ''these guys are superior to everything we have.'' Same with Species 8472. The Ancients on the other hand seem to be more similar to ''Voyager vs the Kazon'' in that they can take 3 or 4 normal ships just fine, but the moment they start to break out their big ships, there are sparks and rattling furniture all over the bridge.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

clearspira wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 am
Ghilz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:12 am

I think that's twofold.

1) The Ancients have consistently proved themselves to be spectacularly arrogant. I would imagine they literally did not care until a couple of planets fell.

2) It regards to the massive tech advantage that the Ancients have, I ask this: do they? Don't get me wrong, I know they are written to, but I have always been rather dubious of how high it actually is. When a Borg Cube cruises through your system you really do get the impression of ''these guys are superior to everything we have.'' Same with Species 8472. The Ancients on the other hand seem to be more similar to ''Voyager vs the Kazon'' in that they can take 3 or 4 normal ships just fine, but the moment they start to break out their big ships, there are sparks and rattling furniture all over the bridge.
I mean, I look at what the Antarctica outpost did to an entire fleet of Goa'uld ships who could match an Asgard ship, wiping it out in basically an instant, Atlantis (And its sister city-ships) and the Aurora class ships have the same weapon system built in. The Wraiths had to weather the same thing Anubis did, in greater quantity. That had to take some insane numbers of them to zerg that.

Like sure, maybe Hive ships are more resistant to drone weapons, though considering the Orion, while barely functional and without a ZPM still took one out, that seems unlikely.
Freeverse
Officer

Post by Freeverse »

OK, so when Chuck is talking about the possible outcomes and how probably the only method conceivable for peace is changing the Wraith so they don't need to feed on humans, and then he says "but what about the opposite?" how in the ever-loving what does he completely skip the thought of changing humans so that we can survive being fed on? I literally thought that was exactly what he was implying. It was the very first thought that came to mind.

Like, the wraith are just space vampires, and there are a million kinds of vampires, but one of the most common bits of lore in vampire fiction is that it's possible to feed on a human without killing them. Not every version does this, but quite a few absolutely do.

This doesn't magic away the conflict, but it would make it possible to attempt a peaceful solution.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Freeverse wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 pm OK, so when Chuck is talking about the possible outcomes ... how in the ever-loving what does he completely skip the thought of changing humans so that we can survive being fed on? I literally thought that was exactly what he was implying. It was the very first thought that came to mind.

This doesn't magic away the conflict, but it would make it possible to attempt a peaceful solution.
Well, I don't think it really ends up changing much. All it really does is just give the Wraith the advantage that they don't need to wait for Human populations to recover as long, which if anything makes the situation worse.

You could argue that he left out the "kill all the Humans" option, but if anything that's just a final "Fuck You" to the Wraith.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu