Short Treks: Ask Not

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Mabus
Captain

Short Treks: Ask Not

Post by Mabus »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/st07.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNScNJ547dE

Short Treks are either hit or miss. This one I feel leans more to the latter.
Jonathan101
Captain

Re: Short Treks: Ask Not

Post by Jonathan101 »

Episode is undermined a bit by the fact that Enterprise-E would find themselves in a similar situation later on, and Picard disobeying orders (with his entire command staff and bridge crew supporting him) ended up saving the Earth from the Borg.

Not to mention all the other times the Admiralty gives orders that turn out to be wrong at best, or part of some sinister conspiracy at worst. I don't think this is a particularly good test of "morality vs personal stakes" so much as "how good are you at following the rules?"
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

So I finally got the Short Treks Blu-Ray, so now I can talk about it, and I really liked this one, it was an interesting short and simple story, and I pretty much agree on Chuck's points from the review, I do hope Cadet Thira Sidhu returns for Strange New Worlds as well.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yes, this test is both:

1. Needlessly sadistic

2. If followed by actual cadets in Starfleet would result in the destruction of humanity multiple times.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Most Short Treks are total dogshit or a sow's ear made of total dogshit and good acting. Only the one with Affluenza Kid Spock and Number One was anything close to genuinely good.

This one...I'm not sure. I think it's in the sow's ear category.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:42 pm Yes, this test is both:

1. Needlessly sadistic

2. If followed by actual cadets in Starfleet would result in the destruction of humanity multiple times.
That's true, however I feel that while one shouldn't blindly follow orders, one shouldn't blindly disregard them either, it's a balancing between the two.

Also while I see what you mean on the test being needlessly sadistic, honestly is child's play compared to what the SAS put their recruits through.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

If they regularly do tests like this half the time anything happens a good proportion of the crew are going to be wondering if it's a test.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:29 pm Episode is undermined a bit by the fact that Enterprise-E would find themselves in a similar situation later on, and Picard disobeying orders (with his entire command staff and bridge crew supporting him) ended up saving the Earth from the Borg.
Disobeying orders is okay, provided you save Earth.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:40 pm Most Short Treks are total dogshit or a sow's ear made of total dogshit and good acting. Only the one with Affluenza Kid Spock and Number One was anything close to genuinely good.

This one...I'm not sure. I think it's in the sow's ear category.
More bullshit from the Discovery Reboot.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Enterprising wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:36 pm
Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:29 pm Episode is undermined a bit by the fact that Enterprise-E would find themselves in a similar situation later on, and Picard disobeying orders (with his entire command staff and bridge crew supporting him) ended up saving the Earth from the Borg.
Disobeying orders is okay, provided you save Earth.
Doesn't hurt if the Admiral you are disobeying happens to die.

Heck, same thing happens in "Insurrection".

Starfleet Admirals shouldn't give Jean-Luc Picard questionable orders. The universe seems to kill them for it.