Dragon Age: Inquisition

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Post by SuccubusYuri »

The attempt at peace between mages and the Chantry comes to a head, and it's down to poor Harold the Lesser to try to sort this mess out.

SuccubusYuri
Officer

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Based on his appearance, between his topknot and his...Harold...I declare Harold's family name to be Hapsburg-Tokugawa.

I'm going to gamble by "didn't finish the story" Chuck meant he never bought the DLC? My largest problem with DA:I has always been that almost the entire 3rd act is behind that paywall. Because the base game, really, only gives you two acts.

That said maybe there was just something else entirely, like that was when Chuck had to stop using controllers or whatever.
Zezlemet
Redshirt

Post by Zezlemet »

After a mage in origins and a rogue in 2, I was kinda hoping in DAI Chuck would play a warrior
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:55 pm I'm going to gamble by "didn't finish the story" Chuck meant he never bought the DLC? My largest problem with DA:I has always been that almost the entire 3rd act is behind that paywall. Because the base game, really, only gives you two acts.
The game finished its main storyline. and set up a ton of sequel hooks. I was happy with it at the time. The issue then is the fact that they realized they weren't going to actually GET to a sequel for like a decade. So the final DLC did a ton of wrap up and closed a lot of threads, and fully explained the Dread Wolf twist to really set up the next game but not have any major lingering baggage from Inquisition.

Had DA4 come out in 2017 and had you running into all those characters again at some point, basic DA:I would have been fine. Without that though, yes it really needed the last DLC to wrap the story up more finally so this extra army of the Inquisition wouldn't be a force to deal with next time, and the Dread Wolf plot actually explained to audiences instead of just hinted if you paid close attention to the lore and stuck around for the end credits. (Not the first two DLCs, those were pretty empty side quests.)

I got kind of screwed at the tiem because I played it on PS3 and they released the first DLC on it... but not the last two. It was yeeeears before I got it on PS4 on sale and got the rest of it. ANd it really felt the gap.
Megabob452
Redshirt

Post by Megabob452 »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:55 pm I'm going to gamble by "didn't finish the story" Chuck meant he never bought the DLC? My largest problem with DA:I has always been that almost the entire 3rd act is behind that paywall. Because the base game, really, only gives you two acts.

That said maybe there was just something else entirely, like that was when Chuck had to stop using controllers or whatever.
My personal experience with never finishing the story was due to playing on PS3 and having the game crash multiple times and eventually freezing on the loading screens. DA:I was clearly not meant for that console and should not have been ported there in the first place.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

I wonder why chuck chose another human. I mean my canon inquisitor is a Trevelan but I played origins as a dwarf noble. Though maybe it's to facilitate the "herald/Harald" pun. Not a big deal, just would be interesting to see Chuck's take as a non human in Dragon Age for once.

I wonder if Bioware is too far gone at this point to make a good sequel to this one. I actually returned Mass effect Andromeda when I got it and wasn't the lead writer of Dragon Age (I think David Gaider) canned from the company?
cloudkitt
Officer

Post by cloudkitt »

I've been looking forward to him getting to this because, though I started this game, it was unable to hold my interest after vomiting a billion sidequests at me.
Last edited by cloudkitt on Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Yeah, if DA2's problem was being too "narrow but deep" than DAI's problem is kind of the opposite "wide but shallow". Though overall I still like the game more than DA2, I wish we had less seemingly pointless sidequests, herding that stupid Halla in the exalted plains and the specialization fetch quests in particular annoyed the hell out of me.
Ranadiel
Redshirt

Post by Ranadiel »

DAI causes conflicting emotions in me. On one hand, I love it because it does a ton to advance the lore of the universe especially with regards to the truth of the pre-veil world. I find the world to be fascinating, and the revelations are interesting and raise new questions that I want to see answered.

However, I find the Inquisitor to be boring. As far as I can recall, the Inquisitor was overall fairly monotone and unemotive. I imagine this was a result of them pulling back from as many DA2 design decisions as possible considering that Hawke tended to be very emotive in most of the dialogue (likely a result of the personality system in DA2). The end result of the design decision to make the Inquisitor line delivery flat though is that I tend to want to go to sleep if I listen to his dialogue too much.
RobbyB1982 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:53 pm (Not the first two DLCs, those were pretty empty side quests.)
Well Descent has some fairly important lore to it as it introduces the Titans properly. There is some mention of them in Inquisition itself, but but those mentions are brief and without context. One of the two mentions I can recall doesn't even refer to them as Titans, just pillars of the earth.

As for Jaws of Hakkon...it should be a lot more important than it is. If I recall correctly, finishing a collection side quest in the area unlocks a room which appears to have been once used by one of the Forgotten Ones. That should be a freaking big deal. Yet neither the characters nor the game seem to really care. They just seemed to lob a lore grenade out and then immediately forgot about it. I don't actually remember what the main plot of the DLC was.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Post by stellar_coyote »

Continued in January? Chuck you tease! But if it's worth doing then it's worth doing right.
Interestingly, a lot of Chuck's characters in Old Republic and Dragon's Age all have a bit of an ego to them. They know that they're awesome and just love to revel in that. The fact that Harold seems to have some low self-esteem and is generally unsure of his position is a bit different.