New Vegas

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

New Vegas

Post by TGLS »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/games/falloutnva.php

Now there's a thread for Fallout New Vegas so we can talk about plot developments in Fallout 3.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Re: New Vegas

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:49 pm https://sfdebris.com/videos/games/falloutnva.php

Now there's a thread for Fallout New Vegas so we can talk about plot developments in Fallout 3.
Or... Fallout 4. I really like the new power armour system. They feel like they actually have weight and power now instead of just being like any other armour. And worse, in 3 and Vegas, the power armour is actually a bit of a waste of time as despite the hardship trying to acquire it, all it does is provide a small stat boost not all that much better than normal combat armour. And no fall damage! And a jetpack!
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

OK - I will also talk about NV. One of the things that kind of bugged me about New Vegas was that the women got really terrible looking leather armour. I know this seems minor - and it is - but whilst the men get leather armour that very clearly is based on the Road Warrior, the women get something that honestly seems designed just to show the contours and movements of her ass in third person. This is something else that 4 got right - the women get to actually wear badass clothes. No longer do they automatically turn into a dress whenever she puts something on. This kind of reminds me about the nonsense surrounding Abby in The Last of Us 2 about how she has biceps - uh, its the apocalypse. Women are going to have muscles and wear practical clothes now. The women that don't are either dead or living in a cushy settlement somewhere.

NV though seemingly went out of their way on the Courier's butt. I'm sorry but they KNEW good and god damn well what they were doing with that third person swimming animation.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Hmm, I was thinking Chuck was going to have his character side with House or go Wild Card just off of his usual playstyle, but this character I think will probably go NCR.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

FaxModem1 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:11 pm Hmm, I was thinking Chuck was going to have his character side with House or go Wild Card just off of his usual playstyle, but this character I think will probably go NCR.
I am not sure.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Honestly I thought he was playing an idiot for a moment.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

TGLS wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:54 pm Honestly I thought he was playing an idiot for a moment.
Me, too; I'm glad he's not, though. While there are some hilarious dialogue options for the dumb playthrough, but it's just not worth it in terms of limiting your game choices (though with all the DLCs installed, it's not hard to max out science and speech despite having a 2 intelligence). Talking to Fantastic as a dumb character is hilarious.

I was amused by all of the failed skill checks, because that's also the opposite of how I usually play. On a meta level, I went intelligence/speech in my first playthrough, knowing it would likely give me the most options in an Obsidian game.
clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:05 pm OK - I will also talk about NV. One of the things that kind of bugged me about New Vegas was that the women got really terrible looking leather armour. I know this seems minor - and it is - but whilst the men get leather armour that very clearly is based on the Road Warrior, the women get something that honestly seems designed just to show the contours and movements of her ass in third person. This is something else that 4 got right - the women get to actually wear badass clothes. No longer do they automatically turn into a dress whenever she puts something on. This kind of reminds me about the nonsense surrounding Abby in The Last of Us 2 about how she has biceps - uh, its the apocalypse. Women are going to have muscles and wear practical clothes now. The women that don't are either dead or living in a cushy settlement somewhere.

NV though seemingly went out of their way on the Courier's butt. I'm sorry but they KNEW good and god damn well what they were doing with that third person swimming animation.
Weren't the leather armor and the character animations both from FO3? I haven't played it in ages, so my apologies if I'm wrong.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

I do think they could have done a bit more to emphasize that the legion wasn't just the bad guy faction. The mongols were brutal conquers but the order and peace in their empire was a benefit. It was said a merchant could walk down any road carrying gold on their head and have no fear of bandits. The NCR is creating an empire just as surely as the legion, one that tolerates far more corruption than the legion. It's entirely possible that the thing the wasteland needs more than anything is peace and order.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

drewder wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:52 am I do think they could have done a bit more to emphasize that the legion wasn't just the bad guy faction. The mongols were brutal conquers but the order and peace in their empire was a benefit. It was said a merchant could walk down any road carrying gold on their head and have no fear of bandits. The NCR is creating an empire just as surely as the legion, one that tolerates far more corruption than the legion. It's entirely possible that the thing the wasteland needs more than anything is peace and order.
The issue is ideology. One constant (possibly ruined by FO4) in Fallout is that Fallout's antagonists have an ideology.

The Master seeks to perfect humanity, the Enclave seeks to restore things to the way they were, the Legion seeks to use Hegelianism as a catalyst to restart "proper" civilization and House wants to start fresh under his rule. Even the raider factions always seem to have some special outlook.

The NCR just wants to be. It's undirected and just a society of people rebuilding no differently than people always have been. They are an amalgam of the Old World mixed in with a society built up from the ashes of the tribes of California. One of their strengths, and the issue in NV, is that they have no greater idea for themselves, they are just a nation expanding and nothing more.

In that context, they can be seen as repeating the mistakes of the past, but what they avoid is committing the new horrendous sins of the New World as everyone seeks to do trying to learn from those mistake in their own vile way.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

drewder wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:52 am I do think they could have done a bit more to emphasize that the legion wasn't just the bad guy faction. The mongols were brutal conquers but the order and peace in their empire was a benefit. It was said a merchant could walk down any road carrying gold on their head and have no fear of bandits. The NCR is creating an empire just as surely as the legion, one that tolerates far more corruption than the legion. It's entirely possible that the thing the wasteland needs more than anything is peace and order.
Except they are also rapists and slavers so, yeah, they are the bad guy faction. Raol argus that it may be a net good but I don't actually think they need offending. They're basically the Taliban of the setting with their religious fundamentalist misogynist warlordism.