Doctor Who: Canceled! (1989)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Maximara
Redshirt

Doctor Who: Canceled! (1989)

Post by Maximara »

What are the plans to restore this video? It was an excellent telling of what may be happening with current Doctor Who ie fix it ad fix it until it is so broken that all you can do is put it out of its and the old time fan's misery.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Doctor Who: Canceled! (1989)

Post by CrypticMirror »

At least with the Eighties cancellation they could soft reboot it, both in the books and again for the screen. I don't know where we go from here on screen. I think it now has to be a full cancellation and hard reboot, shorn of all previous continuity, or some sort of massive retcon to the effect that it picks up from the end of Time of the Doctor and just loses Capaldi onwards as some sort of weird hallucination. There is no quietly brushing things under the carpet like they did for poor Colin's coat.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

I just wish with current Who people would stop blaming Whittaker for it. I've watched her in other things outside of Who She's an excellent actress when given good scripts.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

sayla0079 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:06 pm I just wish with current Who people would stop blaming Whittaker for it. I've watched her in other things outside of Who She's an excellent actress when given good scripts.
It doesn't help she was introduce with an over crowded tardis.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:53 pm At least with the Eighties cancellation they could soft reboot it, both in the books and again for the screen. I don't know where we go from here on screen. I think it now has to be a full cancellation and hard reboot, shorn of all previous continuity, or some sort of massive retcon to the effect that it picks up from the end of Time of the Doctor and just loses Capaldi onwards as some sort of weird hallucination. There is no quietly brushing things under the carpet like they did for poor Colin's coat.
Except you can, the Matrix has shown to be unreliable at times in canon and knowing the Master, he could be lying.
Last edited by BBally81 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

sayla0079 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:06 pm I just wish with current Who people would stop blaming Whittaker for it. I've watched her in other things outside of Who She's an excellent actress when given good scripts.
I've seen Chibnall get far more of the blame than Whittaker. Of course coming after two significant (however flawed) showrunners like RTD and Moffat will do that.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

MerelyAFan wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:45 pm
I've seen Chibnall get far more of the blame than Whittaker. Of course coming after two significant (however flawed) showrunners like RTD and Moffat will do that.
Say what you will about the fam none of the companions are written as 'the most important companion evah' like Rose and Clara.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

If you're going to roll back the clock to fix what was bad, I would nix the entire Moffat era.

I've actually liked Whittaker as the Doctor, and it feels like a bit of a return to form compared to Moffat's faux cerebral crap. Really, I'm disappointed the seasons seem shorter. I think her Doctor hasn't had enough of a chance to breathe because of it.

And as for the origin story, we are talking Time Lords here. They've always been a race with dubious morals, so experimenting on a child to give themselves multiple lives is par for the course for them. One could say this explains why the Doctor has been such an oddball compared to them. I understand it's derisive, but I don't think it's at blow up the continuity for it levels.
Percysowner
Redshirt

Post by Percysowner »

I too like Whittaker as the Doctor. I also don't mind the new origin story because 1) The Master is such an unreliable narrator, and 2) He also may have misunderstood, or misinterpreted what happened. Written, acknowledged history is not always what actually happened. If it is accurate, then it does explain the Doctor being an oddball. It also explains why they were willing to "give" the extra lives to the Doctor, otherwise he/she would have realized something was very, very off.

I wouldn't dump all of Moffat's stories. I liked Amy and Rory, for the most part. He kept them on too long, but they were likeable companions that added to the story. Clara I could have done without. If they hadn't talked her into coming back, ending her story at Last Christmas would have been fine by me. It was after that when she became really insufferable.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Maximara wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:44 pm What are the plans to restore this video? It was an excellent telling of what may be happening with current Doctor Who ie fix it ad fix it until it is so broken that all you can do is put it out of its and the old time fan's misery.
...not touching the rest, I just disagree. As for the question, he said on Patreon that some videos just can't go up on Youtube as is, they just won't take. Some will have to be heavily edited or redone, which will take time.