Undiscovered Country Discussion

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Undiscovered Country Discussion

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Power laces... alright.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Re: Undiscovered Country Discussion

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

My favorite of the Star Trek movies with the TOS crew.
I really enjoy the "let them die" line from Kirk. While he is unquestionably a hero I like the idea that even heroes can get lost in conflict and prejudice when faced with a lifetime of fighting and loss (especially recent loss).
I know that Shatner was not a fan of it, but he does a great job selling the line and the regret for seeing that weakness in himself. I like flawed heroes.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

So what happened to Star Trek 5?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

TGLS wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:03 pm So what happened to Star Trek 5?
What is there to say about it?
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Star Trek 2,3,4,6 comprise a clear quadrilogy of interconnecting films as far as Kirk's story goes. 1 and 5 have the barest links and certainly none that were intended by their creators. Imo you could add 7 to either list.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

All I know is that 5 was in the schedule and 6 wasn't.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

I too was expecting a video on The Final Frontier. I was curious to hear how Chuck felt about it recently.

Before 2013, I didn't really like V all that much. I found it pretty weak but after the passing of my Dad, I gave it a rewatch and the scene where Sybok confronts Bones hit me hard. I lost my dad in a very similar way and I really related with Bones. The whole scene is very good. I came to re-evaluate the movie and ended up liking it a lot more than I used to. Yes V is a pretty flawed film but there's stuff to enjoy in it as well. I find the movie quite underrated and worthy of re-discussion but I could understand not wanting to do it though.
Wilahelm2
Redshirt

Post by Wilahelm2 »

This has always been my favorite of the Trek movies with the original crew. As a history major in school the way this movie was clearly inspired by the end of the Cold War always made it stand out to me. It is also a great end to Kirk's story. I know Rodenberry had issues with how Star Fleet was becoming more militarized but this film has always seemed to be the most inline with his optimistic view of the future. The legendary warrior Kirk ends the conflict with the Klingons once and for all not in a epic battle but by letting go of his anger and helping to forge peace between the two sides.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Shatner got to direct it.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Chuck said on twitter that all of the vids were going to youtube smoothly... EXCEPT 5. Because of course.

So if its being a real headache about footage somewhere he probably just pushed 6 out since it was ready and will fight with 5 some more later.

Maybe it'll end up being the Christmas movie again.
Last edited by RobbyB1982 on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.