Patlabor the movie

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
chaos42
Officer

Patlabor the movie

Post by chaos42 »

I actually got into patlabor with the film, though i have to mention this the version of the dub chuck used is different than the one i have seen, though that may explain some things. the bit where kanuka is going through customs the person ask her occupation and she says she is a labor pilot, it may be that the version of the dub you have is a more accurate one. ill have to see that. But i also loved this series because of the fact these people aren't super heroes, or your standard robot piloting jocks. these are 9-5 civil servants. It was fun to watch people who, their job is usually something more banal have to deal with stopping a major disaster.

Also the growing of the tomatoes and the fishing you saw actually has a point, these guys are extremely far away form everything else and they don't have the ability to just go down to the corner store. plus its expensive, they are actually using the tomatoes and the fishing to supplement their food they all eat because, it might shock you, they aren't paid terribly well.
Marveryn
Officer

Re: Patlabor the movie

Post by Marveryn »

one of my favorite shows. I started with the ova and eventually move to the movies and then the tv series. I am not sure you actually have to watch the show to get context but it helps in the character as the movie doesn't give you a lot to work with as far as who is who and what they do. I watch the movies in subs as i prefer sub over Dub. Most of the time. It is one of my favorite anime and i always feel is underated particular since it a slice of life anime that focus on the screw up in section 2 who have better labors then section 1. Which was why section 1 wanted to new labor
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

I've been a fan of the franchise for quite a while, even when it wasn't getting the same amount of appreciation as other popular anime were outside Japan (it's so popular in Japan that it had a limited time pop-up store in Shibuya for its 30th anniversary in 2019).

My first exposure with the franchise was during the old Toonami on CN boom, as the first episode of the TV series (which takes place in its own timeline outside the OVA and film) was available on the Toonami website for free for a while. I eventually got to watch the series through alternative means like the internet or the satellite dish (though I had to watch it in French) and then when I was in the UK, I came across a collection of the first two films so I bought it.

Despite anime being really popular in the Arab world since the late 70s, none of the franchise got an Arabic dub or an official release in the market and is mostly known among members of the Arabic speaking Anime fandom who are "really" into Anime (so far I found Arabic fansubs of the first 7 episode OVA and the first two films online). Luckily, since I know English, I can watch English subs of the entire franchise thanks to the internet.

The franchise is basically a light hearted police drama with giant robots and I love it.

What's interesting is that the franchise has been split into two separate Anime timelines:

1. The OVA timeline aka. the Mamoru Oshii directed series: This timeline consists of the 7 episode 1988–1989 OVA, the Anime film trilogy (1989,1993 and 2002) and 2015's live-action drama series, The Next Generation: Patlabor (which if you can tell by the title features a new cast of characters as most of the Division 2 personnel have retired from the force, with Shigeo Shiba as the only veteran character in charge of the maintenance department.) and its film spinoff. Most of installments following this timeline had manga writer and filmmaker Mamoru Oshii (Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer, Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh and Angel's Egg) serving as director of this part of the franchise, which is a lot more obvious in the films as they have that Oshii touch compared to the OVAs.

2. The TV Anime timeline: This timeline consists of the 1989–1990 TV anime series, which is supposed to be more faithful to the original manga than the OVA was and was followed by it's own 16 episode OVA series that ran from 1990-1992. In fact, Patlabor became one of the first OVAs to be ported to TV.
Last edited by BBally81 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alinis
Redshirt

Post by Alinis »

I have to admit for a long time the only reason I even knew that the first Patlabor move existed because the second film is literally called Patlabor 2 the movie which I have to admit is perhaps my favorite mecha movie.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

I remember watching this movie or at least big chunks of it in the late 90s on cable here in Canada. It was one of the anime movies that was shown every once and awhile on one of the speciality channels (I think the science fiction one?). I remember it in fragments only hence why I am not sure I actually ever watched it through, so Chuck's description rang some bells.

The thing I do remember is the whole relatively down to Earth working stiff approach to the presentation of the mecha and characters (although clearly it has its over the top moments, but relatively subdued). Seems worth thinking about some more.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

Love Patlabor. Chuck comments on some of the artistry in the animation. But somehow misses one of the most important parts. This (and the next one) were directed by a familiar figure to SF fans, Mamoru Oshii. You may be more familiar with his better known master work "Ghost in the Shell" The real one. Not the Scarlett Johanson abomination. I believe he also did the 7 episode OVA as well. Patlabor Movie 1 is actually one of his weaker works. He made up for it in #2. Which I honestly feel is his best one, even better than GitS. I hope Chuck has the fortitude and time to wade into that one.

The movies have a more grim and serious tone. It doesn't work as well with this one. But works perfectly with #2. The TV shows are a sort of borderline dark comedy. But played mostly straight. The only other show I can think of that is ever remotely close to it in terms of carefully blending comedy, drama and action is Dai-Guard. Which is basically The Office, with a Giant Robot. It's well worth a watch.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

I love the first two. The first is a solid mystery while the second side steps into being a low key technothriller of sorts.
AllanO wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:03 am I remember watching this movie or at least big chunks of it in the late 90s on cable here in Canada. It was one of the anime movies that was shown every once and awhile on one of the speciality channels (I think the science fiction one?). I remember it in fragments only hence why I am not sure I actually ever watched it through, so Chuck's description rang some bells.
No, it wasn't Space who'd play them but Teletoon. They'd play anime on the weekends, usually rotating through this and a few other notable ones like Macro Plus and Ninja Scrolls.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

Beastro wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:35 pm I love the first two. The first is a solid mystery while the second side steps into being a low key technothriller of sorts.
AllanO wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:03 am I remember watching this movie or at least big chunks of it in the late 90s on cable here in Canada. It was one of the anime movies that was shown every once and awhile on one of the speciality channels (I think the science fiction one?). I remember it in fragments only hence why I am not sure I actually ever watched it through, so Chuck's description rang some bells.
No, it wasn't Space who'd play them but Teletoon. They'd play anime on the weekends, usually rotating through this and a few other notable ones like Macro Plus and Ninja Scrolls.
Galaxy Express 999 and it's sequel too.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Marveryn wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:58 pm one of my favorite shows. I started with the ova and eventually move to the movies and then the tv series. I am not sure you actually have to watch the show to get context but it helps in the character as the movie doesn't give you a lot to work with as far as who is who and what they do. I watch the movies in subs as i prefer sub over Dub. Most of the time. It is one of my favorite anime and i always feel is underated particular since it a slice of life anime that focus on the screw up in section 2 who have better labors then section 1. Which was why section 1 wanted to new labor
I had no problem with as a kid getting into the film without even knowing there was a series, but I've always like shows that don't up front introduce characters and instead act like you're looking into the middle of their lives piecing together bits as things go on.

I held off commenting about the dub until I could see which one Chuck has. I was waiting to hear Goto's voice. I forget the voice actors name, but he makes Patlabor more than anyone else (The other VAs in the other dub work well, too). He perfectly captures Goto's laid back, faux apathetic attitude that hides what he's really thinking.

The only example I can find online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2sqdudEle4

Sounds like it's the original dub. It's one I wouldn't watch Patlabor 1/2 without.

Edit: I agree with Chuck about the montages used in Patlabor and how great they are. I especially liked the second films ones. I'm a sucker for anything that takes its time, like long shots (I love the movie Stalker for that reason).
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

Beastro wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:35 pm No, it wasn't Space who'd play them but Teletoon. They'd play anime on the weekends, usually rotating through this and a few other notable ones like Macro Plus and Ninja Scrolls.
Also Lock the Superman, for some reason Ninja Scrolls and Locke are the ones I remember watching all the way through (more or less). Patlabor and Macross Plus I somehow only apparently watched bits of?

That made more sense (that the animation channel would play animation) for some reason I thought there had been a weird thing where Teletoon did not play those anime movies, but rather Space did.

Maybe the story I was thinking of was after having those sort of classic anime movies in heavy rotation in the first few years Teletoon gave up on them and Space and YTV picked up that slack? I mean I know I have only seen Robotech thanks to Space airing the series an hour a day five days a week that one time.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill