Last Man on Earth

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Last Man on Earth

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/films/lastmanonearth.php

This is the first adaptation of Matheson's novel, the other two being The Omega Man with Charleton "Let my people go...fully automatic" Heston which came out a few years later and the version with Will Smith which is not well remembered. Of the three, The Omega Man's the best adaptation but that's not saying much.

I really want to like this movie, but the budget and bad acting/directing (asides from the great Vincent Price) stop it from achieving greatness but it's half decent at least.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
Scififan
Officer

Re: Last Man on Earth

Post by Scififan »

I thought it was okay. Acting back then tended to be more melodramatic back then but I still kind of liked it. I haven't completely read I AM LEGEND but from what I did read it was pretty much a good adaptation. Omega Man is a good movie but very removed from the book. Will Smith did a very good performance in the third adaptation.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I think the Wil Smith version is fine. The man has two settings: ''serious'' and ''Fresh Prince.'' Fortunately he is pretty good at the former.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Sure Morgan has to fight his way back home through hordes of the undead, but that is hardly the worst commute in LA.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Post by stellar_coyote »

Vincent Price belongs to that rare breed of actors that never seems to give a bad performance. Been in bad movies? Oh certainly, but their acting isn't what's bad about it. For Price's part, while he didn't always get the chance to play tragic figures he certainly does well here and that drives the first half of the film. He really captures the sheer loneliness of the character who's living for n other reason than to spite the dead.

Actually, going by Matheson's description of the main character being a very "everyman" kind of person, I think Henry Fonda could've done well in the role.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

I believe in the book Neville is just an average person, not a scientist. He ends up self educating himself.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I have the same problem Chuck does in that my Vincent Price impersonation turns into Peter Lorre. My brother does a much better Vincent impersonation and we end up doing a duo comedy routine where we play them endorsing various products in the early days of TV. Price endorses lots of luxury and refined products like chocolates and cologne... Peter ends up begrudgingly endorsing things like donut pillows and hot water bottles. He and I need to get a friend with some camera talent and put that on youtube.

In regard to Price's performance, it is excellent. If not for all the baggage of Price being so refined and learned a presence in my mind he would be perfect. I think making him a scientist helps to strike a balance between his high minded persona and the exhausted working man character.
That being said, there are almost certainly better "working men" style actors from the time.

Looking on IMDB for some examples, Gregory Peck, Jack Palance (who known for playing bad guys would hint at him being the "true villain" like Price), Burt Lancaster, or if you really want to play up the working schlub Ernest Borgnine. They are all in the same age bracket and are rather big stars.

And if you want to go with Star Trek Actors, James Doohan and Deforest Kelley are both candidates. I can imagine them being the main character in a TV movie version of the story.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Veggietrekker
Redshirt

Post by Veggietrekker »

More on the review than the movie itself. I am so glad that Vincent Price has found his way into the SFDebris log. It just feels right to have him in here. I wonder how Chuck would deal with 'The Raven' or some of the other Poe adaptations.

I also want to say this is the first movie review in a long while where Chuck had some more humor like his older reviews, as I see it. The last several were just so stuffy but this one felt more like he was enjoying himself again. Thank you Chuck.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

Do you think he could do Omega Man? Maybe even the Will Smith I Am Legend?
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Scififan wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:01 pm Do you think he could do Omega Man? Maybe even the Will Smith I Am Legend?
Normally we'd point you to the donation-request button, but since the request queue now outstrips the heat death of the universe I would suspect that unless it is already on the list then probably not.