Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Star World

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nealithi
Captain

Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Star World

Post by Nealithi »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/bsg/bsg78_1.php

A review I have long waited for.

My only comment on the reviews itself? Themself? Why rescue one person, and why not show the refugees more. Extras cost lots of money. Basically why the borg always use one cube at a time. You can have two cubes or Data in makeup.

Okay not my only comment. Mostly because I thought of this while writing this. I feel sorry for the woman that had to play the robot dog. But I think the idea was to show robots are not in and of themselves the enemy. Sure the Cylons are bad, but not all machines even thinking ones are. Just my thought.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Star World

Post by Frustration »

The sheer improbability of mines capable of being ignited by blaster fire and destroying the planet is a leap too far, IMO. Coal deposits are one thing, they're geologically insignificant, and require access to surface air to burn, but a substance so easily activated that a future gun could set it off could never have been set down in the first place.

One of the many problems with treating planets as stand-ins for regions.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Ahem. "We believe it was caused by over-mining and insufficient safety precautions."

Seriously the only planet detonator I find plausible is the Death Star. If only because of scale.

I don't think it is so much treating planets as regions. As writers have no sense of scale. And my favourite comment on that. And I am paraphrasing. George R. R. Martin saw the wall the designers made. He looked at it and said that is a damn big wall. They said they did it to the scale in his books. His reply was. "Then I made it too big!"
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I mean, for the Klingons and Praxis, it's a Dilithium mine. You know that nonsensical magical substance that allows reality to be altered so lightspeed can happen. They also use antimatter for everything in Star Trek. I don't have my suspension of disbelief broken too much that they blew up their moon. Because we're already dealing in nonsensium.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Nealithi wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:46 pmSure the Cylons are bad, but not all machines even thinking ones are. Just my thought.
U-hu. Exactly what a thinking machine would say in order to convince us of this.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

We're all thinking machines. Some of us are made of meat.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

If memory serves, the moon of Praxis was being used as an energy production station, likely producing antimatter to be used as fuel.

In theory, we can do that now - not on a useful scale, but our technology allows it. Increasing the scale makes a horrendous disaster possible, yeah - loss of containment would cause a tremendous burst of gamma rays. Nothing about that is nonsensical.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:30 am I mean, for the Klingons and Praxis, it's a Dilithium mine. You know that nonsensical magical substance that allows reality to be altered so lightspeed can happen. They also use antimatter for everything in Star Trek. I don't have my suspension of disbelief broken too much that they blew up their moon. Because we're already dealing in nonsensium.
Wasn't it a tibenum mine? The stuff they used to power blasters and the FTL drives so it was similarly fantasy fuel?
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:44 pm
Nealithi wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:46 pmSure the Cylons are bad, but not all machines even thinking ones are. Just my thought.
U-hu. Exactly what a thinking machine would say in order to convince us of this.
I have not been a synth since the day I was buil, err born.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Poor Pinocchio. He hasn't been a synth since the day he was built and everyone assumes he's a liar.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu