Dr. Who - The Twin Dilemma

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Dr. Who - The Twin Dilemma

Post by Durandal_1707 »

With that title, of course Part 2 is the one that's gonna get blocked on copyright grounds.
AllanO
Officer

Re: The Twin Dilemma

Post by AllanO »

And now it is back up, but for how long?!

Anyway fun to watch this review again. I did see the actual show at least once or twice, I can't remember much about my reaction at the time though. Chuck's scathing review seems fair.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Ah Peri. AKA ''the woman who completely ruined the tragedy of Peter Davidson's death scene with her cleavage.''
I'm half joking but seriously though - writers really do need to take note that the audience is meant to be crying when your main lead sacrifices himself to save someone's life. They are NOT meant to be cracking one off.

I feel sorry for Colin Baker tbh. He's a good actor and from what i've seen a good guy. He didn't deserve this. But... I think it needs to be stated that the Doctor has always had a terrifying side and is very aware of it. Cue ''Love and Monsters:''

Abzorbaloff: See, I've read about you, Doctor. I've studied you. So passionate, so sweet: you wouldn't let an innocent man die! And I'll absorb him unless you give yourself to me!
The Doctor: Sweet, maybe... Passionate, I suppose... But don't ever mistake that for nice.

Strangling a woman is arguably too visceral for the Doctor. Too out of character. But I think the capability for him to do so is there regardless. Lets not forget that First tried to smash a caveman's head in. This man when in a moment of weakness is capable of being everything he hates. That in a sense makes him more realistic in my eyes. He is not just this paragon of virtue saving everyone; he is flawed. Just like all heroes throughout history have been.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Ah, this adventure. That was a thing that definitely existed. It happened, and it cannot be unhappened. At least Trial of a Timelord is in the queue for eventually. It is a much better Sixth Doctor story, even if it falls apart a little at the end for obvious reasons. Until then, there is... this one.
Xaios
Redshirt

Post by Xaios »

With the benefit of hindsight, I think we now know that the twins were clearly playing the Cones of Dunshire.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I do blame the writers, and whoever decided to not dump the twins when they read their first line.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:43 am Ah Peri. AKA ''the woman who completely ruined the tragedy of Peter Davidson's death scene with her cleavage.''
I'm half joking but seriously though - writers really do need to take note that the audience is meant to be crying when your main lead sacrifices himself to save someone's life. They are NOT meant to be cracking one off.

I feel sorry for Colin Baker tbh. He's a good actor and from what i've seen a good guy. He didn't deserve this. But... I think it needs to be stated that the Doctor has always had a terrifying side and is very aware of it. Cue ''Love and Monsters:''

Abzorbaloff: See, I've read about you, Doctor. I've studied you. So passionate, so sweet: you wouldn't let an innocent man die! And I'll absorb him unless you give yourself to me!
The Doctor: Sweet, maybe... Passionate, I suppose... But don't ever mistake that for nice.

Strangling a woman is arguably too visceral for the Doctor. Too out of character. But I think the capability for him to do so is there regardless. Lets not forget that First tried to smash a caveman's head in. This man when in a moment of weakness is capable of being everything he hates. That in a sense makes him more realistic in my eyes. He is not just this paragon of virtue saving everyone; he is flawed. Just like all heroes throughout history have been.
I would say they wouldn't do that now with the cleavage scene but I wouldn't put it past them. Then again ONe didn't act all smug after he didn't kill that cave man.
Sojourna
Redshirt

Post by Sojourna »

I don't know if you can edit the topic title, but in the future you should also include the series name and not just the episode title.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Dr. Who - The Twin Dilemma

Post by Frustration »

I've always liked the Doctor best when he's a little bit dark and dangerous. That said, the Sixth was handled very badly, and the character wasn't given the chance to develop a more cuddly side before the actor was sacked.

The Sixth Doctor Audio Adventures are excellent. One was even written by Colin Baker himself, and it was hilarious. Intentionally!
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BBally81
Officer

Re: Dr. Who - The Twin Dilemma

Post by BBally81 »

Seems not everybody considers the Twin Dilemma among the worst of Doctor Who.

youtu.be/vE6D6oU1xPw