Legend of Korra: Spirits

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
phantom000
Captain

Legend of Korra: Spirits

Post by phantom000 »

I think Korra, as a character, was intended to be Aang's polar-opposite. Aang was timid, Korra is bold. Aang was well traveled and knew much of the world, Korra grew up in a small country town which she never left until she went to Republic City. Aang understood the spirit world but struggled with bending, Korra took to bending almost immediately but struggles with the spirit world.

Chuck's complaints about her behavior are unfounded but he does miss one point; this is her home we are talking about! She is Southern Water Tribe, these are her people and she helped the bad guy put them into this situation. She is the Avatar but i think its not just her doing her job its her trying to fix her mistake and save her own people.
Archanubis
Officer

Re: Legend of Korra: Spirits

Post by Archanubis »

phantom000 wrote:I think Korra, as a character, was intended to be Aang's polar-opposite. Aang was timid, Korra is bold. Aang was well traveled and knew much of the world, Korra grew up in a small country town which she never left until she went to Republic City. Aang understood the spirit world but struggled with bending, Korra took to bending almost immediately but struggles with the spirit world.
Other than Earthbending, Aang didn't seem to have that much trouble with bending; once he got over his hang up with Firebending, he seemed to catch on rather quickly.
Thanotos Omega
Redshirt

Post by Thanotos Omega »

I'm glad he added that little bit where he made it clear he likes Korra, that was my biggest worry was that the less than steller writing on the 2nd season had made him hate her and the whole season's theme would be Korra bashing,
You will notice i end my sentences with a , this will not change, you are wasting everyone involved's time pointing it out, this is just a quirk of how i ,unicate!
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

You know, I think his comment about a dog chasing cars could explain the Makorra relationship dynamic pretty well. They both had intense crushes and desires to tap that, but once they got beyond the honeymoon face they didn't have much compatibility or things in common.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Archanubis wrote:
phantom000 wrote:I think Korra, as a character, was intended to be Aang's polar-opposite. Aang was timid, Korra is bold. Aang was well traveled and knew much of the world, Korra grew up in a small country town which she never left until she went to Republic City. Aang understood the spirit world but struggled with bending, Korra took to bending almost immediately but struggles with the spirit world.
Other than Earthbending, Aang didn't seem to have that much trouble with bending; once he got over his hang up with Firebending, he seemed to catch on rather quickly.
It's pretty blatant:

Korra is a girl, Aang is a boy.

Aang starts knowing only airbending - Korra knew how to bend all elements BUT Airbending by age 5

Aang is more spiritual than Korra, who really isn't at all when the series start.

Aang never really had a family, Korra has close ties to her father and mother, and even has cousins.

Aang was the last of his people, Korra's people are quite alive and well.

Aang easily entered the Avatar State, Korra did not until she became a fully realized Avatar at the end of season 1

Korra is more direct in her goals, while Aang is easily sidetracked by things who catch his interest.

Aang's animal companion is one closely tied to his people's culture and the source of their bending. Korra's is not.

Korra is more easily irritable than Aang, who tended to be far more happy-go-lucky.
Megabob452
Redshirt

Post by Megabob452 »

Back when this season was airing, I was hoping that Korra's behavior was somehow connected to the dark spirit stuff going on. There had to be a reason for the character reset between seasons, I would tell myself. Something like the darkness in the spirits infecting her through the Avatar's inherent spiritual powers, bringing out the worst in Korra as the darkness grew and spread across the south. Anything to justify the seemingly forgotten character development Korra had in season 1. But then the retcon for the Avatar's origins happened, which made my little headcanon impossible to reconcile, so I had to settle for this being just another part of season 2's weak writing.

I still want to know how Korra went from inside the belly of a dark spirit to washing ashore half an ocean away. Doesn't make sense after the reveal that dark spirits are working with Unalaq.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

My one complaint about The Legend of Korra is the writing. TLA was planned out beginning to end, and it shows. LOK or was made made up as they went along and it shows. It seems they did not know what to do with the Mako/Korra relationship so they dropped it. They also seemed to have come to the conclusion that Bolin was the more interesting of the two so they focus more on him through the rest of the series. Korra's change in attitude is understandable but never explored, which would have been an interesting character moment for her. Then there is the question of how she survived the dark spirit.

This is what happens when you have good writers who don't have time to think things threw all the way.
Thanotos Omega
Redshirt

Post by Thanotos Omega »

phantom000 wrote:My one complaint about The Legend of Korra is the writing. TLA was planned out beginning to end, and it shows. LOK or was made made up as they went along and it shows. It seems they did not know what to do with the Mako/Korra relationship so they dropped it. They also seemed to have come to the conclusion that Bolin was the more interesting of the two so they focus more on him through the rest of the series. Korra's change in attitude is understandable but never explored, which would have been an interesting character moment for her. Then there is the question of how she survived the dark spirit.

This is what happens when you have good writers who don't have time to think things threw all the way.
To be fair, after Season 2 they went on to utterly smash it out of the Park with season 3 and 4 making TLA look childish and inept by comparison, and Korra/Asami being a way better explored match up than Anng/Katarra was, and they weren't even allowed to be too explicit about it,
You will notice i end my sentences with a , this will not change, you are wasting everyone involved's time pointing it out, this is just a quirk of how i ,unicate!
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

Ghilz wrote:Aang's animal companion is one closely tied to his people's culture and the source of their bending. Korra's is not.
Which makes sense, when you think about it. Waterbenders are pretty much the only benders in ATLA universe not to have learned their skills from an animal (and no, the koi fish in the oasis pond don't count, as they're spirits). Earthbenders originally learned from badgermoles, Airbenders from sky bison, and Firebenders from dragons. Waterbenders learned by observing the effects the moon has on the tides, so it would make sense that Korra and her people don't have an animal that is closely tied to their bending and culture.
Aros001
Redshirt

Post by Aros001 »

phantom000 wrote:My one complaint about The Legend of Korra is the writing. TLA was planned out beginning to end, and it shows. LOK or was made made up as they went along and it shows. It seems they did not know what to do with the Mako/Korra relationship so they dropped it. They also seemed to have come to the conclusion that Bolin was the more interesting of the two so they focus more on him through the rest of the series. Korra's change in attitude is understandable but never explored, which would have been an interesting character moment for her. Then there is the question of how she survived the dark spirit.

From what I've heard, Nick only asked for one season at first, and thus why the writers wrapped thing up pretty heavily at the end of season 1. But after it did well, Nick then said "Great! Now give us 3 more!", thus why the writing in season 2 is worse than that of 3 and 4, as they had to go back on the character growth they'd given Korra just to meet Nick's demands.