Voy: Threshold

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
drewder
Officer

Voy: Threshold

Post by drewder »

Looked and couldn't find an existing thread for this one. I feel Chuck is being unfair with this episode giving it a 0. After all it is one of only 5 Emmy award winning episodes of voyagers run so objectively it should be in the top ten right? :D
CMWaters
Officer

Re: Voy: Threshold

Post by CMWaters »

I'm more amazed that a later series actually referenced it.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
LordFeagans
Redshirt

Post by LordFeagans »

I have a special reason to love/hate this episode. I was a senior in high school and a friend of mine, who was a Trek fan, just not a Voyager fan (at the time) asked me "Why don't they just build a warp 10 engine?"

This question stunned me. This is on par with asking why don't the astronauts on the ISS just build an impulse engine. Voyager soon after released this episode, proving why such a question shouldn't be asked or even taken seriously.

Now, I would understand, to some degree, if Voyager broke the threshold after Seven of Nine showed up and helped them build it and have it fail (explain that you really aren't everywhere at once, that navigation is different at transwarp speeds, thus the illusion of being everywhere at once, or have the failure lead to a dangerous mission with a ticking clock to get the warp core repaired before the ship loses power and the emergency force fields preventing the core from breaching fail and explain that the ship just can't handle transwarp speeds, putting the topic to bed permanently). But, we're to believe that an ensign, Tom Paris, Academy Washout turn Chief Engineer, and the fry cook somehow build a transwarp engine from spare parts.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

"Everywhere at once" is as literal as "the cat is both alive and dead".

The real takeaway from such a thought experiment is that the pure mathematical basis for the theory the system is operating under breaks down at some point and no long applies. You either need a more accurate system, or a different system entirely at that scale (e.g. Relativity, Quantum Physics, and Newtonian Physics are all true, but have issues outside of their domains).

Star Trek does have a built-in response to the Warp 10 barrier: Transwarp. Realistically, this is a new model of Warp that works at the scales Warp does not. Alas, most ST writers aren't physicists, so it doesn't seem this connection was ever made (at least it never made it on screen).
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

The real problem is that nobody seems to understand that to get to warp 10 you have to travel at every speed up to warp 10. You don't need to break the laws of physics to get home, you just need to go faster. Since their discovery was a new form of more efficient dilithium if it can make them go 100 times faster they'll be home next week.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

They couldn't navigate. Doesn't matter how fast you go if you can't control where you end up.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

pilight wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:58 pm They couldn't navigate. Doesn't matter how fast you go if you can't control where you end up.
As long as you are closer to your goal than you were when you started, you made progress.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:23 pm
pilight wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:58 pm They couldn't navigate. Doesn't matter how fast you go if you can't control where you end up.
As long as you are closer to your goal than you were when you started, you made progress.
Yeah but when you run into other people then they're gonna ask why you chose that spot to go to. With nothing to say except "durr that's just the way I travel," you're gonna look pretty stupid.
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

If you are literally everywhere at once, then the chances of ending up somewhere within that small strip of Milky Way are nearly infinitesimal.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:30 pm
Yeah but when you run into other people then they're gonna ask why you chose that spot to go to. With nothing to say except "durr that's just the way I travel," you're gonna look pretty stupid.
Well then scan the area, accelerate up to warp Lotsa 9s and then stop once your sensor data no longer has accurate readings of what's in front of you.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu